Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 151914 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2020, 01:50:05 pm »
I just learned how to make a face mask out of a bandanna and two rubber bands. I have so many different bandannas left over from the days of the Hankie Code that I can color coordinate my face masks with what I'm wearing.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2020, 04:07:48 pm »
I just learned how to make a face mask out of a bandanna and two rubber bands. I have so many different bandannas left over from the days of the Hankie Code that I can color coordinate my face masks with what I'm wearing.  ;D

:laugh: :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2020, 05:15:37 pm »
Yeah, I have those. One for transit, one for my car garage, one to get into my office.

The newspaper is located on the 11-13th floors of an office tower. You have to hold your card up to those readers at least twice to get in.

One morning I was in the elevator with a guy who saw me hold up my card and said "On my floor, we don't need a card to get in."  I said, "Well, I guess no one wants to shoot you."

He looked a little shocked, we talked for a couple more minutes and as I got out he said "Thank you for your work." That was nice -- I felt a little like a veteran being thanked for his/her service. Not that my work is especially dangerous. Or at least it wasn't before now -- but even now it's not really, especially compared with, say, store cashiers.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2020, 05:41:25 pm »
I have used a whole collection of those transport cards. For some reason many start with O. Sydney is an Opal card, London an Oyster card, Hong Kong an Octopus card. Here in Dunedin it is just a GOcard.  At the moment in Dunedin, you still have to put it on the machine and the driver punches in the price. I have to do that even though buses are  free for me except before 9am and between 3 and 6.30pm weekdays. They were going to make them completely automatic with top up online this month but I guess that has been put on hold. Transport is free for everyone at the moment but I am not using the buses. I also have cards for Vancouver, Brisbane  and Paris.
In Sydney and London at least you can now use your regular contactless card and still get the same discounts but I have a seniors card for Australia (as well as NZ) so need the card. In Sydney I pay no more than $2.50 per day for travel for 100s of kms. When I lived there, I was 80 km from the city but still just paid $2.50. However there is a surcharge of $15 for using the airport station (privately owned). My card is topped up automatically ($20 when it goes below $5) from my sister's credit card and I joke that she can tell I have passed through customs and am on the train by seeing the $20 go off her credit card. Generally that $20 lasts me the 7 or 8 days I stay with her.
I was last in Sydney on April 28, 2019. I was booked to fly Tuesday week but do not know when I will be able to do so again. I am glad my sister spent 10 days here last December.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2020, 08:10:47 pm »

:laugh:  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2020, 10:46:47 am »
He looked a little shocked, we talked for a couple more minutes and as I got out he said "Thank you for your work." That was nice -- I felt a little like a veteran being thanked for his/her service. Not that my work is especially dangerous. Or at least it wasn't before now -- but even now it's not really, especially compared with, say, store cashiers.

Thank you and all the journalists for your service! I was just reading where Trump was found to have a financial interest in those drugs he keeps touting. Amazing work by the journalists because I'm sure Trump's people do everything they can, and then some, to hide his misdeeds.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2020, 03:10:40 pm »
I'm reading three books right now that I find very helpful:

Where the Wind Leads, by Vingh Chung, about a Chinese family living in Viet Nam when the war breaks out. When the U.S. leaves the country to the Viet Cong, the Chinese are driven out and their property and assets are seized. So, the family becomes part of the boat people, sailing around the South China Sea at the mercy of pirates and with no place that will accept them.

Sacred Instructions, by Sherri Mitchell, about the Penobscot tribe of Maine, their trials during and after colonization, and their disappearing way of life.

The Martian, by Andy Weir, about a botanist/mechanical engineer who is abandoned on Mars by his team who thought he died when some debris ripped a hole in his space suit. Miraculously spared, he figured out a way to make 6 months of supplies last for four years when the next team would arrive from Earth.

Reading about these people who persevered in straits far more dire than we're facing today has weirdly buoyed me up and given me more stamina to withstand the little ordeals of our present circumstances.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2020, 05:05:57 pm »
The Martian, by Andy Weir, about a botanist/mechanical engineer who is abandoned on Mars by his team who thought he died when some debris ripped a hole in his space suit. Miraculously spared, he figured out a way to make 6 months of supplies last for four years when the next team would arrive from Earth.

That one has been made into a movie with Matt Damon.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2020, 11:05:04 pm »
NZ Police filmed this  in Arrowtown, a heritage gold mining town

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/queenstown/cop-outguns-covid-arrowtown-quickdraw

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2020, 03:48:07 am »

That one has been made into a movie with Matt Damon.

Yup. I love Matt Damon. After seeing the movie I ordered the book and as so often it's better than the movie. And in my head, the book also has Matt Damon in it  ;) :laugh: