Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152082 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2020, 11:40:40 am »
OK, I just looked up toilet paper on Amazon. There are a lot of different kinds -- brands, sizes of packages, etc. -- and some say "currently unavailable," but others seem to be available. They seem kind of expensive, although I don't remember how much TP cost before. And the brand selection isn't very big. But it seems like this could be a solution for you and your dad.

How many listings did you have to look at to get that information? Or is this something you are able to do quickly because of the "Subscribe and Save"?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2020, 03:34:59 pm »
How many listings did you have to look at to get that information? Or is this something you are able to do quickly because of the "Subscribe and Save"?

I just went to the website and searched for "toilet paper" then scrolled down the list. The brands, prices and quantities are all included on this first list, as well as whether they're currently unavailable. So you can just decide how many rolls you want or how much you want to spend, then click on items that fit those parameters to get more information and/or order.

Some of the brands seem kind of obscure; to be safe you'd probably want to choose one you're familiar with. If you have a particular kind you prefer, as I do, you can search for that specifically. But some may have a longer wait time -- I didn't investigate that. I assume if it's not marked "currently unavailable" you'd get it fairly quickly, but if your dad's down to three rolls, probably should order soon.

They also offer a free kindle book that tells how to make your own. I have no idea what that would entail and I'm guessing you don't have kindle anyway, so you can probably skip that.  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2020, 04:05:14 pm »
I just went to the website and searched for "toilet paper" then scrolled down the list. The brands, prices and quantities are all included on this first list, as well as whether they're currently unavailable. So you can just decide how many rolls you want or how much you want to spend, then click on items that fit those parameters to get more information and/or order.

Some of the brands seem kind of obscure; to be safe you'd probably want to choose one you're familiar with. If you have a particular kind you prefer, as I do, you can search for that specifically. But some may have a longer wait time -- I didn't investigate that. I assume if it's not marked "currently unavailable" you'd get it fairly quickly, but if your dad's down to three rolls, probably should order soon.

This afternoon I briefly checked my default, eBay. There seemed to be a number of listings of the preferred label that showed it was available. I took a quick look at the sellers' ratings, too. In at least one or two cases, shipping was more than the price of the toilet paper.

I'm giving my dad one last chance. When I talk to him this evening, if he has not found any--has not even looked for any--I think I will buy him some if I can. I'll tell him it's his belated birthday present.  ;D

I was tempted to buy myself a roll with Trump's picture on every piece.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2020, 05:10:02 pm »
Dear friends, I bring you here the ultimate Corona instructions!

Here are the official Coronavirus guidelines:

1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can.

2. Masks are useless. But they will protect you. They can save you, no they can’t, they’re useless, but wear one anyway. Now they’re mandatory. But maybe. Or not.

3. Stores are closed, except for the ones that are open.

4. You should not go to the hospital unless you have to go there. Stay out of the ER at all costs unless you’re having a medical emergency then it’s okay.

5. This virus is deadly but still not too scary, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster. Stay calm.

6. Gloves won't help, but they can still help. Especially if you wear the same pair for hours and everywhere you go, then you can not spread germs, nope. #science

7. Everyone needs to stay home, but it's important to go out to get exposure to the sun. Sunlight will kill the virus but not if the virus kills you first by walking in the sunlight where you may be exposed to the virus.

8. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarket, but there are many things missing when you go there in the evening, but not in the morning. Sometimes.

9. The virus has no effect on children except those it has affected or will affect.

10. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested yet, and a tiger.. and one really deadly but also possibly fictional but very sick bat.

11. You will have many symptoms when you are sick, but you can also get sick without symptoms, have symptoms without being sick, or be contagious without having symptoms.

12. In order not to get sick, you have to eat well and exercise, but also never go out to the grocery store so just eat processed crap and stay inside your four walls but also stay healthy.

13. It's better to get some fresh air, but you may be arrested if you’re getting fresh air the wrong way and most importantly, don't go to a park, the fresh air there is deadly.

14. Under no circumstances should you go to retirement homes, but if you have to take care of the elderly and bring them food and medication then fine. Just wear gloves. The same ones. All day.

15. If you are sick, you can't go out, but you can go to the pharmacy to get your medications. Just don’t make eye contact cause you may spread your sickness that way.

16. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house, which may have been prepared by people who didn't wear masks or gloves. But you have to leave your groceries outside for 3 hours to be decontaminated by the fresh air that also may have virus particles floating around in it.

17. Taxi drivers are immune to the virus apparently since you can still take a taxi ride with a random taxi driver. Just don’t take the taxi to your mom’s house because you know. Stay away from your mom.

18. You can walk around with a friend if you stay six feet apart but don’t visit with your family if they don't live under the same roof as you. Even if you’ve all been locked inside for two months already. You may still have the virus and just not know it yet. You’ll find out. Wait another week. Wasn’t that a week? Might be the next one. Keep waiting.

19. You are safe if you maintain the appropriate social distance, but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance. Social distancing means you shouldn’t leave your house and don’t be social, except you may go to the liquor store but don’t socialize there while you’re being socially distant.

20. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours, no, four, no, six, no, we didn't say hours, maybe days? But it takes a damp environment. Oh no, not necessarily.

21. The virus stays in the air - well no, or yes, maybe, especially in a closed room, in one hour a sick person can infect ten, so if it falls, all our children were already infected at school before it was closed. But remember, if you stay at the recommended social distance you should be ok, however in certain circumstances you should maintain a greater distance, which, studies show, the virus can travel even further, maybe.

22. We count the number of deaths but we don't know how many people are infected as we have only tested so far those who were "almost dead" to find out if that's what they will die of…

23. The virus will only disappear if we achieve collective immunity.. but stay inside until the virus disappears.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2020, 06:23:41 pm »
Hilarious! Thanks, I needed that!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2020, 06:45:06 pm »
 :)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2020, 09:29:34 pm »
When I spoke to my father last evening, he told me that whenever he goes to the supermarket where he shops (and uses the pharmacy for his meds), the store is out of toilet paper. As much as I hate to think of him running around to stores, I told him he is going to have to start checking other places (pharmacies and supermarkets).

This afternoon my dad had to go out yet again  ::)  :( to pick up a prescription. He told me that today the supermarket was well stocked with toilet paper. He bought 10 rolls, so I will not be trying to buy him any online.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2020, 09:22:08 am »
Well, bummer that he had to go out, but at least he found his TP!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2020, 06:00:24 am »
What Chuckie said.

Amazon is, like Ebay, quite overrun by Chinese companies/sellers. But on Ebay, you can set your settings to "sellers from within Germany [US for you] only", which excludes most (but not all) Chinese sellers.
Sadly, on Amazon you can't do this, at least not in Germany. So no matter what your search is, you always get tons of irrelevant Chinese stuff offered. Frustrating.

A few tips to minimize all those crap search results:
  • you can put your search words in quotation marks. For example: "Berrybear toilet paper". If there's a brand named Berrybear selling TP, LOL :laugh:
  • it also helps to narrow down the categories. Instead of looking for "Addidas sneakers" in all categories, narrow it down to Addidas sneakers in Men's shoes then in Men's sneakers.
  • mostly, after searching for a specific brand, you get that brand offered on the left hand side. If you check this box, you'll get offers from this brand exclusively.
  • click on "available via Prime", even when you don't have a Prime subscription. This sorts out all obscure goods that are located somewhere, anywhere on the globe and need months to reach you. It leaves only those items, which could be sent to you in a very quick time frame (as Amazon promises this for their Prime customers)

This way, you get good or at least okay search results with few crap/spam in between on the first two pages. Should be enough for most everyday decisions.
And of course you can sort your results from lowest to highest price. You will have more crap in your search results again, but that's easy to overlook when you're searching for something specific and it gives you the advantage of finding the cheapest Addidas sneakers etc. quick.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2020, 09:15:22 am »
Good point, Chrissi. I'd never thought about excluding Chinese sellers per se, but the more specific your search terms the more efficient the search, if they have that item in stock. And good tip about zeroing in on Prime products.