Author Topic: What are you watching these days?  (Read 13771 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
What are you watching these days?
« on: November 05, 2020, 11:18:32 am »
I really miss going to the movies. Watching Netflix and Amazon at home is just not the same.

I'm really not the right person to start this topic. I just started watching in the evenings with the time change and to have a distraction from the election debacle. So far, I've watched Enola Holmes, Virgin River, and the first episode of Queen's Gambit. It's too early to say about the latter, but it is highly acclaimed. Virgin River is like a Hallmark show, but strangely engrossing because of the good looks and magnetism of the lead (hetero) couple. I thoroughly enjoyed Enola Holmes, with its strong casting and lively plot. But Henry Cavill as Sherlock Holmes? He's far too robust looking (can't imagine him taking cocaine or smoking four pipefuls of tobacco) and he emotes too much.

What are you watching and what do you recommend?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What are you watching these days?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 01:55:46 pm »
I do not have any of those services. I tried a free trial with Amazon but only watched one movie. So I can only watch free to air movies at home and rarely do. I love going to the cinema. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a lot of movies being produced. Last Sunday I saw "I am Woman" about Helen Reddy which was excellent. I am getting my hair cut today and would have liked to see a movie afterwards but nothing interested me. I think I will go to the Art Gallery instead.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 05:07:45 pm »
I really miss going to the movies. Watching Netflix and Amazon at home is just not the same.

I'm really not the right person to start this topic. I just started watching in the evenings with the time change and to have a distraction from the election debacle. So far, I've watched Enola Holmes, Virgin River, and the first episode of Queen's Gambit. It's too early to say about the latter, but it is highly acclaimed. Virgin River is like a Hallmark show, but strangely engrossing because of the good looks and magnetism of the lead (hetero) couple. I thoroughly enjoyed Enola Holmes, with its strong casting and lively plot. But Henry Cavill as Sherlock Holmes? He's far too robust looking (can't imagine him taking cocaine or smoking four pipefuls of tobacco) and he emotes too much.

What are you watching and what do you recommend?

I would watch Henry Cavill read Webster's on the internet.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 05:48:48 pm »
I would watch Henry Cavill read Webster's on the internet.

I second that.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 08:28:41 pm »
In that case, I highly recommend Enola Holmes!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 12:20:58 am »
I second that.

I'm glad you agree.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that soap opera The Tudors, but if I had known he was in it, I might have reconsidered.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 12:52:46 am »
No doubt a publicity still from The Tudors, but Henry Cavill is wearing my boots.

Well, kinda sorta maybe.

Back in my SCAdian days, I had a pair of boots that looked exactly like what he's wearing. I got my boots from a place called Museum Replicas, which has, indeed, supplied weapons and other gear to movies and TV shows, so it's possible he's wearing the same style I once had. The sword looks like something from Museum Replicas, too. For that matter, so does the shirt. MR once sold a shirt with a narrow stand-up collar decorated with English blackwork.

The first thing I saw Henry Cavill in was an episode of The Inspector Lynley Mysteries (2002), which ran on PBS. HC played the Head Boy in a British "public school." He was 19 years old, and as soon as I saw him I thought, "He's going to be a star."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 12:28:59 pm »
...the first episode of Queen's Gambit.

I heard somewhere that Heath had taken an option on the book and wanted to produce this. I can see why he'd be interested.

It does get tedious sometimes, watching people sitting in chairs, concentrating, occasionally moving small chess pieces small distances. No more tedious than watching people tending sheep on a mountain, though.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 12:30:09 pm »
No doubt a publicity still from The Tudors, but Henry Cavill is wearing my boots.

Is he also wearing leather pants? Yum!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 07:35:35 pm »
Is he also wearing leather pants? Yum!

I believe they are leather pants.