Our BetterMost Community > The Holiday Forum

Mardi Gras

(1/2) > >>

Jeff Wrangler:
Coming up Tuesday!

(I scrolled through the whole Holiday thread and couldn't notice a Mardi Gras topic.)

For some reason, I find the translation "Fat Tuesday" distasteful.  >:(  ???

Of course, in my ancestral culture, the day is known as Fastnacht Day. (We have something somewhere about fastnachts, but I haven't taken the time to hunt for it.)

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laissez_les_bons_temps_rouler

serious crayons:
I try to make a nod of some type to Mardi Gras every year to celebrate my seven years in NOLA and my friends who still live there.

Penthesilea:

--- Quote from: Jeff Wrangler on February 24, 2022, 10:31:20 am ---Coming up Tuesday!

Of course, in my ancestral culture, the day is known as Fastnacht Day.
--- End quote ---

In the country of your ancestors Fastnacht/Fasching is six days long, starting with

Thursday, wich is also called Altweiberfastnacht or Schmutziger Donnerstag (Old Women's Fastnacht or Dirty Thursday)

followed by Faschingsfreitag, Faschingssamstag and Faschingssonntag (Fastnacht-Friday, -Saturday and -Sunday)

then comes Rosenmontag (Rose-Monday)

end it ends with Faschingsdienstag (Fastnacht-Tuesday).

The two main Fasching days are the Monday and Tuesday however.

On Altweiberfastnacht/Dirty Thursday, women march into town halls and cut off ties from the men. So you better wear an old or ugly tie on this day.
On Fastnacht-Tuesday our employer gives us half a free day and we have to take the other half from our vacation days or deduct it from our overtime, since everything is closed.

serious crayons:
In New Orleans, Mardi Gras parades start at least two weeks before the actual day. They get bigger as the day approaches. On Mardi Gras itself, there are a handful of traditional events, including parades and the "Mardi Gras Indians," who are Black men (maybe some women these days?) who dress up in really elaborate, colorful faux Native American costumes with feathered headdresses and the like and then go around the city dancing.

Front-Ranger:
Interesting mixup!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version