Brokeback Mountain: Our Community's Common Bond > The Lighter Side

Malapropisms, mondegreens, eggcorns, spoonerisms and others!

<< < (5/6) > >>

Front-Ranger:

--- Quote from: Jeff Wrangler on November 04, 2022, 11:33:46 am ---(When was the last time you saw wont used in a sentence?  ;D )[/font][/size]

--- End quote ---

I don't think I've EVER seen it in a sentence!

Here's a nice malaprop:
"Smith recalled that Joplin started reciting, ?Oh, Lord won?t you buy me a Mercedes Benz? ? the first line of McClure?s song. The four others then started banging beer mugs on the table to form a rhythm, and Neuwirth wrote down lyrics he and Joplin came up with on a napkin. Janis later introduced the song at her show that evening by saying, ?I just wrote this at the bar on the corner. I?m going to do it Acapulco.?--Joe Taysom Far Out Magazine"

Sason:
Nice one!

Jeff Wrangler:
I guess I just encountered a mondegreen of my own.

This morning my favorite radio station played "Heaven is a Place on Earth," sung by Belinda Carlisle.

This morning I looked up the lyrics. One line is "Ooh, Heaven is a place on earth."

I always heard it as "Blue Heaven is a place on earth."

:laugh:

Jeff Wrangler:
Came across a fun mondegreen this morning. Somebody mistook "Knockin' on Heaven's door" for "Knockin' on Kevin's door."

Also, not a mondegreen, but somebody thought their family was saying "Harvey darned" when they were saying "I'll be darned."

Front-Ranger:

--- Quote from: southendmd on November 02, 2022, 04:06:56 pm ---
Former Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott once claimed that no one "is the suppository of all wisdom" (i.e., repository or depository). Similarly, as reported in New Scientist, an office worker had described a colleague as "a vast suppository of information". The worker then apologised for his "Miss-Marple-ism" (i.e., malapropism). New Scientist noted this as possibly the first time anyone had uttered a malapropism for the word malapropism itself.

--- End quote ---

Offline Chuck gave me several volumes of the "Ladies Suppository" (repository) a monthly periodical on Literature and Religion published in the mid-1800s. They sadly had all their illustrations removed, matted, framed and sold by  his  former employer, a print shop. He renamed the books when he presented them to me and they have retained that name ever since.

"Knockin' on Kevin's Door" will go down with "This is the cereal that's shot from guns" as the two phrases that have spoiled my listening pleasure the most.  :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version