Author Topic: On buckets, eagles, impatience, and...  (Read 85827 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: On buckets and horizontality (Jack's)
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2006, 06:09:22 pm »
Thanks Amanda, for this list.  I'm about to go see the movie at the cheap movie theater, and look forward to noticing the bucket and coffeepot in the dozy embrace scene.

Clarissa

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2006, 07:33:53 pm »
Sharp eyes! I'm just going to have to watch the movie again tonight...!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: On buckets, eagles, impatience, and...
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2006, 10:01:03 pm »
Oh, oh, I have a few good updates for the list...

When Jack brings those first two full buckets of water and sloshes them next to Ennis building the fire circle... he puts those buckets directly behind the coffeepot.

Also, during Jack's Water Walking Jesus song, Ennis bangs on his coffeepot like a drum.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2006, 10:59:38 pm »
My favorite appearance of the coffeepot is when Ennis stretches out by the campfire after Jack gives him the blanket.  Note the position of the coffeepot in relation to Ennis's anatomy.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 09:26:44 am »
Watched BBM again last night, and it was great to see the pot and coffeepot together at the beginning of the flashback scene! Thanks so much atz for catching that!

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 05:27:01 pm »
Thanks Amanda, for this list.  I'm about to go see the movie at the cheap movie theater, and look forward to noticing the bucket and coffeepot in the dozy embrace scene.

Clarissa

Elle, when I first saw this I read it as "noticing the bucket and coffeepot in a dozy embrace" and it made me smile.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: More on eagles and four-footed animals
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 05:32:27 pm »
Hi, it's me again. Just a few more thoughts on the way that Jack is likened to a 4-footed animal and Ennis to an eagle in crucial scenes that I brought up in an earlier post. In the story, Ennis calls Jack "Little Darlin" which is an endearment reserved for his horses and daughters. On Ennis and Jack's first camping trip after they reunited, Jack asks Ennis how long their relationship would continue, and Ennis replies, "For as long as we can ride 'em. There ain't no reins on this one." The most remarkable reference to Jack as like a horse is during the flashback scene when Ennis comes upon Jack and says, "You're sleepin on your feet like a horse."

This is in addition to the reference I mentioned earlier where Ennis "hauled Jack up on all fours" in the first tent scene.

In a thread called "Coincidence or..." is a great discussion of the bluebirds which appear throughout the movie.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 06:58:07 pm »

Clarissa

Elle, when I first saw this I read it as "noticing the bucket and coffeepot in a dozy embrace" and it made me smile.

Maybe one our resident artists could draw that for us.  It's cute.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Ode to the bucket
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 07:45:59 pm »
strong, silent Ennis is frightened, and flibberty-gibbet Jack is utterly fearless and brave.

I love this.  I haven't heard the term flibberty-gibbet for ages.   :laugh:  This also sounds like a pair of phrases just begging to become part of a poem... like a limerick or a nusery rhyme.

Anyway, what I'm really here to bring up is that darn eagle feather that Jack is supposed to wear in his hat (in the story).  He wears it at the very beginning and Proulx makes a big point of noting that he's still wearing it 20 years later.  I guess the eagle symbol can alternate back and forth between Jack and Ennis.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 12:07:18 am »
My favorite appearance of the coffeepot is when Ennis stretches out by the campfire after Jack gives him the blanket.  Note the position of the coffeepot in relation to Ennis's anatomy.  ;)

That's a good one, certainly.  I thought Ang Lee showed a great deal of restraint in that the obvious 'phallic' symbols are few and subtle.  But it makes me smile to see it.   :)

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."