Author Topic: Special effects  (Read 3575 times)

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Special effects
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:06:26 am »
I came across this nicely done Flash site by the outfit which did the special effects, movie magic, CGI tricks, I'm sure you'll recognize the music.

Special Effects magic 

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Special effects
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 08:19:13 am »
I'm sure you'll recognize the music.

Um, I sure did: The Shawshank Redemption.  Was that what you meant?

I loved seeing the breakdown of the effects shots though.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:45:58 am »
Um, I sure did: The Shawshank Redemption.  Was that what you meant?

I loved seeing the breakdown of the effects shots though.

It was also used in the trailer. Did they use that music because the original score wasn't finished yet, or do they have other reasons for it? I have never understood why they use music from other movies in trailers.

I loved seeing this, I hope they include something like this in the 2-disc DVD.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:04:47 am »
It was also used in the trailer. Did they use that music because the original score wasn't finished yet, or do they have other reasons for it? I have never understood why they use music from other movies in trailers.

I loved seeing this, I hope they include something like this in the 2-disc DVD.

Me too, it was very interesting and I'd love to see it larger on my TV.  As for why they use the score from other popular (usually feel-good) films, well I've always thought the obvious explanation was true that they know the viewer will associate the new film with the feel-good place of the old one, and therefore want to go and see it.  If there's another logical reason for this I'd love to hear it.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

horo35

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:32:52 am »
That was quit amazing, sure are alot of fake sheep in that movie! :D  Yes I also agree, I sure hope they put stuff like that onthe 2 DVD set coming out.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:38:31 am by horo35 »

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 02:21:33 pm »
Thanks for the inside look at how the visuals were created, and also about the music! (I never thought of Shawshank Redemption as a feel-good movie, tho)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 04:11:29 pm »
Wow, that was really amazing. Thanks for giving us the link.

The music from the trailer is the music from Shawshank Redemption  :o ?

If this is correct, then I am the living proof that (Aussie)Chris' theory is right: the viewer unconsciously transfers (good) feelings from one movie to the other.
But for me it went vice versa: Last week I saw Shawshank Redemption again. And for the first time, I noticed and liked the music. Usually I never notice the music from a movie (BBM was an exception to the rule). Before I never had noticed if there's music at all in SR. But last week I did not only notice the music, but actually liked it.
Gosh, I'm taken aback by this.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 04:13:07 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 02:45:58 am »
I enjoyed this, thanks, CoyotePiper (your IMDb name is on the tip of my keys...).

I especially liked seeing the moon put into place.

Ironic that the next sample was from a Coors commercial.  The Coorses would probably be twirling in their whatevers, if they knew they were right next to the Gay Cowboy Movie.

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:38:35 am »

I made an Mp3 of an interview on National Public Radio with Gustavo Santaolalla from December 8, 2005.   In it he tells that he wrote the score based on the script and it was recorded before filming took place.  The director and the actors listened to it daily to enhance their performances.   The interview is 5:21 minutes and is too big to attach to the message here.  If you have broadband, email me at [email protected] and I will attach the file for you.  The file is 5.05 Mb.  Not as flashy as the excellent presentation about the special effects but well worth hearing!
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin