Author Topic: Madison County  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Samrim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Madison County
« on: November 03, 2006, 05:48:48 pm »
[color=blue]Hello all,

A number pf people here, and on IMDb have compared ole Brokeback with Bridges of Madison County, and I've been urged to check it out for myself. I'm not a fan of either Clint Eastwood (way back through his action movies to his Rowdie Yates days), or of 'womens films'; for a gay man I find myself sometimes, to be surprisingly sexist. Shame on me!

I loved 'Bridges', and possibly because it's basic story line does echo that of BBM. Again it's about duty, and honour, and 'doing the right thing'. About accepting one's responsibilities. even at the expense of one's personal happiness, And again it's about secret love (shades of dear Doris) and the impossible burden placed upon star crossed lovers.

I thought Meryl Streep was wonderful (again,amazing actress!), and I though the two grown up children did a good job with the parts they played. Clint Eastwood played his part of a sensitive action man (!) with considerable restraint, and if he didn't convince me, thats arguably, my fault!

I thought the film 30 minutes too long, points were laboured un necessarily, but having said all that, I found it a beautiful, meaningful film.

I wonder if the story of 'our boys', bless 'em, is softening me up!

Best Wishes all

Sam[/color] :)
Sam

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Madison County
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 06:39:50 pm »
I saw Bridges of Madison County several times when it first came out at the theatre here about 15 years ago......I also read the book several times....

Not until Brokeback, did I repeat similar multiple viewings and reading of a story.

I have written many times on different boards, the similar feelings I get from both the movies and the similar story lines of the characters.

I agree, Meryl Streep, played the part to perfection, and in the scene where she had her hand on the car handle, trying to decide, whether to run or stay, was absolutely amazing.

Yes, both movies are about forbidden love, choices made and living with the decisions that were made....family committments, and the different types of love that people are capable of having.

I often wonder, if there were any message boards back then, and if there were, what may have been discussed about this movie.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection