Author Topic: I'm getting chills just watching it...  (Read 7741 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I'm getting chills just watching it...
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:37:58 pm »
My DVD came today, and I finally put it in just to make sure the scenes weren't too dark like some folks have experienced, and it gave me chills just to see it here - in my possession, without wondering what the audience will be like or missing something 'cause of laughing...  The video quality is excellent, and while I miss the big screen, I love the intimacy of seeing it so close up.

I feel like some very very very dear friends have moved in, and now we can be together all the time.  And I'm so surprised that it still touches me and moves me the same way.  I dont want to talk about the details of each scene - what I noticed or didn't. I just want to stay connected with what this movie touches inside of me and let the waves of it roll in and out and over me in their own way and time.

I feel that deep gratitude all over again the way I did when I first saw it.  My regret continues to be that I can't reach into the movie and comfort our boys - get them talking and understanding each other and finding a way to be together.   I still don't know what it is about BBM that gets me so good, but good I am gotten.  I can't help but say all the lines along with the movie...

Anyone else experiencing this?  Or are you still seeing it at the movie theater?  Or have you watched the DVD so many times that you're immune?  Do you ever get immune?

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: I'm getting chills just watching it...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:59:31 pm »
I'm definitely feeling very happy to have Jack and Ennis in residence.  It closed near me a couple of weeks ago so I've been in a drought without them.  I think I like the intimacy at home better than the theatre.  It was always too dark in the theatre to really see some of the subtleties.  And, I'm also glad not to have the distraction of other people...there always seemed to be inappropriate laughter and 'yammering' when I saw it before.  And I went 19 times, so it's not like I didn't have a sample of audiences.

After I watched it last night, I came online for awhile, but I was really too choked to up to post sensibly (translate - crying).  Little Wrangler's and Kea's fan fiction helped to do me in.  Like you, I'm hoping this connection stays.  I really hope I don't become immune to it, but I think it is a realistic fear...I'm afraid other life concerns will move center stage, and these feelings will fall by the wayside.  I'm hoping this forum will help prevent that.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:06:27 pm »
I'm gonna try not to wear it out..I already know every scene, every line, so don't know how that's gonna happen.  I'll keep ya posted!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 04:58:09 pm »
I know what you mean...  I've received the "not again?!?" a few times already.  It is peaceful to watch the DVD from the comfort of my own bed. 
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

horo04

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:45:02 pm »
You know I watched it a second time on DVD and I didn't get the same effect like in the theatre.  Wasn't all heartbroken about it this time.  :-\ Guess I knew what was coming...but never the less it's still an awesome show and hopefully they will put out another and improved version in the near future.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 08:49:09 am »
"another and improved version"  ???

I hope you don't mean sequel.

Anyway, I got the DVD too but I actually haven't watched it yet. I've been waiting for the right time, when I can have some peace and quiet at nighttime, and I refuse to watch it on all but one of my TV's for the others are way too small.

I don't want to become immune to Brokeback either, so that's why I don't watch it every day or every other day. Usually, I'll go two, at most three, weeks in between viewings which helps freshen the movie. Granted, in between viewings, I spend a lot of time on Brokeback forums, playing the CD, and reliving the movie in my head.

www.jlodown.com
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

horo04

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 11:28:27 pm »
"another and improved version"  ???

I hope you don't mean sequel.

www.jlodown.com

A sequal?? No way! That would be a big mistake...actually what I meant was I hope they put out a better version of this dvd in the future...I put some posts up about what I thought about the release in another section. http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=542.msg6687#msg6687
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 11:31:47 pm by horo04 »

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 09:28:53 pm »
when I first got the dvd, I watched it all the way through. didn't allow myself to pause or check for things on the subtitles. It still made me excited to see the reunion. My heart was beating just as hard and I lost my breath when Ennis threw Jack against the walk. It was good to feel those things still.

Like many of you, I too am afraid those emotions would be less as time passes.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 01:16:42 pm »
I feel comforted that I can go back and relive the experience whenever I want now. 

Before I got the DVD, I was always watching the newspaper to make sure it hadn't left the area yet - and each weekend would go daily fearing it would be gone the next.  Now I am calm - and I hope the feeling stays always.  Maybe not like the first viewing (where I was sleepless for 3 days) but always deep in my heart.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 09:49:35 pm »
I agree, in that respect, it is comforting to have the DVD. I am just particular about how and when I will watch it (alone, in the dark so I can properly see the screen, screen has to be at least moderately-sized).

And, horo, as for a special edition of the DVD, I'm right there with you! (But I'm trying not to get myself too excited for fear of disappointment.)

www.jlodown.com
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 12:25:16 am »
Lucky stiffs...made a new scan for you..sniff...CLICK TO ENLARGE
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 01:50:49 am »
I haven't even bought the DVD! I want to draw out the anticipation.

On the other hand, I've checked the paper and noticed it's still playing at some dollar theaters ... do I dare go for it one more time on the big screen, even though it will probably have bad sound and lighting? :-\

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 01:52:19 am »
Julie, that's from the "one shot thing" scene, isn't it? I love how vulnerable he was in that moment.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 04:19:15 pm »
I'm so glad I found this thread!  I had just posted this comment to the CT board today.

I love having the DVD(s) for the obvious reasons, but once I received it and it was in my home, I had this feeling like the movie was now "safe" with me.  Like finally, it's home where it belongs, and I will always take care of it and vice versa.  Like a FREAKING PET!!!

Does anyone else get that?  I know it sounds nuts, but if anyone would understand, it would be you guys!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 11:29:42 pm »
I'm so glad I found this thread!  I had just posted this comment to the CT board today.

I love having the DVD(s) for the obvious reasons, but once I received it and it was in my home, I had this feeling like the movie was now "safe" with me.  Like finally, it's home where it belongs, and I will always take care of it and vice versa.  Like a FREAKING PET!!!

Does anyone else get that?  I know it sounds nuts, but if anyone would understand, it would be you guys!

Ditto for me, Ann Marie!   ;D
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 12:32:25 am »
I've had the DVD so some time but continued to view it at the theater. When I got my "offcial copy" okay, both of them, it was still exciting-like I never had the screener. I vacillate between not watching it everyday and further eroding the impact and indulging myself with the pleasure of seeing it whenever the heck I want.

I watched it last night and had the delayed emotional breakdown today but wondering if it's the movie or something else. I guess when I can't stand to hear
"The Maker Makes", it's the movie.

Heathen

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 10:42:28 am »

Exactly!  I have a friend who is really interested in watching it.  Both he and his wife want to sit down and experience the beauty that is BBM, but I told him I couldn't lend it out for a while.  Not because I'm watching it...I've only seen the last half once sine I got it, but because I just can't let go of it right now.  It needs my attantino and care and protection.

The reality of this is VERY disturbing to me for obvious reasons, but I'm still not lending out my DVD.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 11:23:24 am »
I agree with you guys. I love having the DVD on my computer and the scenes seem so vivid even though the screen is small. It's a laptop so I can get up really close. It's like having a perfect little jewel in a case. In contrast, the movie lacks something on my TV. It looks like anything else you'd see there.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 10:20:54 pm »
 I still don't know what it is about BBM that gets me so good, but good I am gotten.  I can't help but say all the lines along with the movie...
Anyone else experiencing this?  Or are you still seeing it at the movie theater?  Or have you watched the DVD so many times that you're immune?  Do you ever get immune?

Here in S. Korea, I saw the movie first on DVD then on the big screen at a theater.  I've seen it 5 times on DVD, once at the theater, but while I can recite some lines from memory now, I never said the lines along with the movie while watching it.   I can tell you the impact has never changed though.  I thrill with them in their happiness on the Mt and cry over every sad scene, especially the ending when Ennis visits Jack's folks.  The emotional response to that isn't as hard hitting as the very first time, but it's still hits and always will, I'm sure.  The interesting thing is that the impact is much stronger for me and not so with my non-gay friends.  I guess it's needless to say why.

Rayn