Author Topic: Don't kill the messenger.  (Read 9173 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Don't kill the messenger.
« on: November 07, 2006, 06:12:29 pm »
I saw this posted on TOB.  THis is what Disc 2 shall contain.  Only 1 extra feature.  Disc 1 will have an extra feature added on as wel  NO DELETED SCENES, NO DIRECTORS COMMENTARY!   >:(   >:(

Here's the listing of the full contents.  I am now not in a good mood. Disc 1 will  have A GROUNDBREAKING SUCCESS (BBM as a cultural phenomena). Disc2 will all the extra features already in the DVD I have right now plus MUSIC FROM THE MOVIE.  Is there going to be a deluxe deluxe version in June/07.  I guess we will NEVER see the deleted scenes.    SAY IT AIN'T SO SAY IT AIN'T SO.   However the updated site at Universal says there will be POSTCARDS in the DVD and never before seen footage. I don't know if that means deleted scenes, but in what extra, GROUNDING SUCCESS.  You be the juge and read this.  THis is really bad P.R. for Universal. I wasn't expectin a script or something like that or a poster/wall calendar, but...  Can we write to Universal before it's a done deal?

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63131
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Brokeback Mountain (Collector’s Edition) for 23rd January 2007 priced at $26.98 SRP. Winner of three Academy Awards®, including Best Director, Ang Lee’s gripping drama is now being released as a 2-Disc Collector's Edition complete with all-new bonus features, never-before-seen footage and collectible packaging (including postcards).

Features on this two-disc set are as follows...

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 & DTS 5.1 Surround
French DD5.1 Surround
Spanish DD2.0
English SDH, French & Spanish subtitles
A Groundbreaking Success

Disc 2: Extra Features (DVD5)
Music from the Mountain
Impressions From the Film (Still Gallery)
On Being a Cowboy
Directing from the Heart: Ang Lee
From Script to Screen: Interviews with Diana Ossana & Larry McMurtry
Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Moutain

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Don't kill the messenger.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 06:17:12 pm »
 :( :( :( :o :( :( :o :(

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 06:20:15 pm »
Sounds like it's time to wait for the super-duper deluxe edition.....  ::) That still wouldn't make an impressive first edition release!
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 06:25:14 pm »
This sucks mightily.  >:(  >:(  >:(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 06:26:06 pm »
Well if you click on the link, read some of the comments that ppl have already left. The HK version (original release) has an extra interview with ANg Lee in Cantonese with no English subtitle.  IPW (username) already posted

"This forthcoming issue does of course leave the possibility of later issues entitled : 'Ultimate Edition', a Special Limited Edition' and a 'Directors Cut Edition'... "   
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are we suppose to wait around for a Director's Cut?  >:(

The article was posted 11/7, today.

horo35

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 07:19:32 pm »
Mmm..I wonder how reliable this link is.  One new ad I posted in another thread says all new bonus material. Doesn't seem to make sense making the first release content into a 2 disc set.  That would be probably a bigger rip off than the 1st release.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 07:34:14 pm by horo35 »

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 07:27:22 pm »
Here's the info on the Universal site (confirming all Kd's information):

http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=36609
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:29:10 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:32:41 pm »
This is what I was fucking afraid of.  "Never-before-seen footage" can mean anything, and it sounds like it's just some presentation on the success of BBM (not that we're not glad for the filmmakers).

And printing and packing the "souvenir postcards" is expensive. Geez, if you're going to spend $$, give us what we want!!

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 07:34:52 pm »
**Clings on to hope that link is not reliable**

It just makes no sense to me for the collector's edition of this particular film not to have more material than is shown here. I mean, the film's fanbase may not be the biggest, but we sure are vocal and supportive and knowledgable and willing to part with some cash - don't we deserve something of better quality than that? And if that sounds too conceited, then doesn't the film itself deserve a proper in-depth release in any case, irrespective of supporters or detractors? It is the most honoured film of that year and many a year - the director, author, screenwriters and actors all are extremely proud of it and dedicated to it...... It's a high quality, grounddbreaking, beautiful film and it deserves more than this paltry edition seems to promise.

If this is the consequence of the Oscar horror, my contempt for the AMPAS has just increased another notch. I didn't think that was possible.

At a minimum there should be proper commentary tracks.

I'm so bummed.

But I'm not planning on killing the messenger though!  :o Thanks for letting us know, kd5000!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 07:39:07 pm »
How did Jack put it?

This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation!   >:(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 07:43:59 pm »
How did Jack put it?

This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation!   >:(

David, you took the words right outa my keyboard! That's the only way to describe this situation.  >:(

(Scares me sometimes how much you and I think alike!  ;) )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 07:53:00 pm »
'This is no surprise, guys.  About four months ago they released a French language Region 2 "Collector's Edition" which had the same thing, a bunch o' postcards, an extra interview or what-not, and it clearly did not have deleted scenes, extra film footage, director's commentary.  It's a gyp, is what it is, but anyone who could read the French sleeve on the "Collector's Edition" had already figured that out.

They're just trying to get some Region 1 sales of the same damned thing.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 12:42:10 am »
It can't be.  Say it isn't so.  >:( :'( ???

I dunno.  Until that official website from Universal is updated, I still have hope....

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 12:45:50 am »
David, you took the words right outa my keyboard! That's the only way to describe this situation.  >:(

(Scares me sometimes how much you and I think alike!  ;) )

Now that I have you as two very distinct people, I will admit I used to confuse you for each other, a long time ago.  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 12:55:36 am »
Found this on TOB.  This is the kind of stuff that should be on the SE DVD!

Making of the Visual Effects:
http://www.buzzimage.com/en/work/making_of/33
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:30:05 am by sfericsf »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 01:19:23 am »
Found this on TOB.  This is the kind of stuff that should be on the SE DVD!

Making of the Visual Effects:
http://www.buzzimage.com/en/work/making_of/33

Now you're talkin'!  That's very cool.  I had no idea some of those shots weren't real.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 02:13:37 am »
Why are they waiting so long before they put any worthwhile goodies on the DVD??

June 2007? That's ridiculous.

I'm just about over this whole deal.  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 03:28:02 am »
Eric, thank you for posting that SFX link! Ioved it. I've always figured the hailstorm couldn't be real, but some of this was a surprise. Like, Jack and the tent was shot in the day and night was created afterwards, inclusive of some program to "add moon"!  :o

Have you posted this elsewhere, I haven't had time to look aaround BM. Because this sure deserves discussion outside of the collectors DVD disappointment.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 04:17:46 am »
Have you posted this elsewhere, I haven't had time to look aaround BM. Because this sure deserves discussion outside of the collectors DVD disappointment.  :)

CoyotePiper posted in Movie Resources http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=5729.0

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 09:34:16 am »
thanks for that link sfericsf.
i really enjoyed watching that!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

horo35

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 11:20:52 am »
I've been thinking with all this info about a crappy 2nd release is it just me or is the marketing/merchandise for this movie absolutely horrible?  The 1st release was a underachieving DVD, the 2nd release sounds like a bigger, crappier rip off, the calendar is all grainy and was released in 2007 for a 2005 movie.  I mean I dont expect highly collectible toy action BBM playsets but I do expect better products for a movie that made so much money and had a huge fanbase! :-\

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 12:05:07 pm »
I've been thinking with all this info about a crappy 2nd release is it just me or is the marketing/merchandise for this movie absolutely horrible?  The 1st release was a underachieving DVD, the 2nd release sounds like a bigger, crappier rip off, the calendar is all grainy and was released in 2007 for a 2005 movie.  I mean I dont expect highly collectible toy action BBM playsets but I do expect better products for a movie that made so much money and had a huge fanbase! :-\

I agree Horo35.  I'm almost tempted to suggest that if the SE DVD in January doesn't have more stuff on it, we should all boycott buying it.  Send 'em a message, you know.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 12:22:49 pm »
is it just me or is the marketing/merchandise for this movie absolutely horrible?

It's not just you. I was disappointed in the first DVD's meagre and well-known bonus material. I'm even more dispappointed at this new one's possible rip-off quality. And as for other available products;

I've really been looking around for BBM merchandise, as I always try to vote with my wallet in terms of what film-related merchandise I buy and how many times I see a film in the theatre - cold cash is the only thing the studios care about and the only praise they'll listen to from audiences IMO. This has resulted in my currently owning Close Range, BBM in a separately published film tie-in booklet, Close Range translated to my own language, the BBM DVD, the soundtrack, and the BBM short story audio version. C'est tout. It's really not much.  :-\

During the EURO Brokie Meeting in September Becky showed us a booklet she'd bought off E-bay that had been published in connection with early publicity for the film in the USA and given to select reviewers etc. That booklet was absolutely, totally gorgeous and I can't for the life of me understand why it hasn't been published to be sold as a movie tie-in. They're missing an opportunity there, truly. I so would have loved to have that.

I also would have loved a thorough "making of the movie" book. Such books or booklets have been published for the crappiest of movies - why couldn't they have made one for BBM?

And as for the upcoming DVD, - no. If what we now know prove to be true, it's a pathetic marketing ploy not worthy of this beautiful film at all, and in all probability not something I'm ready to pay for.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:35:31 pm by Mikaela »

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 12:26:48 pm »
I'm almost tempted to suggest that if the SE DVD in January doesn't have more stuff on it, we should all boycott buying it.  Send 'em a message, you know.

Or, email Universal — or post our dissatisfaction to their comment boards or to Amazon's comment boards. They may interpret simple lack of sales to mean that their lack of investment in quality products for this film was the right step.  ("Interest in BBM has fizzled, so why should we bother with a better DVD?")

the calendar is all grainy . . .

Is that an official Universal product, Horo? I remember someone posting a link to the cover of it, and the Photoshop looked so godawful on the cover that I was like, "no effing way".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:30:50 pm by LauraGigs »

horo35

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 12:33:01 pm »
Or, email Universal — or post our dissatisfaction to their comment boards or to Amazon's comment boards. They may interpret lack of sales to mean that their lack of investment in quality products for this film was the right step.  ("Interest in BBM has fizzled, so why should we bother with a better DVD?")

Is that an official Universal product, Horo? I remember someone posting a link to the cover of it, and the Photoshop looked so godawful on the cover that I was like, "no effing way".
Well for the calendar I'm basing it on a review at this link http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=5898.0
I myslef have not actually seen the calendar but should be getting it this week in the mail.  From that link, overall he really didn't sound too impressed over it.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 12:59:28 pm »
I have the calendar. It seems fine. I'm glad Lureen and Alma aren't in it.  Then again, I have NEVER bought a movie calender before, so I have nothing to judge it against. I had to order mine from AMazon.com as TLA sold out so fast. There now back in stock at TLA as I got an e-mail from them.  So there is substantial demand for this calendar.

Maybe latter in the year, they will come out with a high gloss BBM 2007 calendar, one with dates that are important anniversaries in the lives of the major characters.  A double-dip calendar so to speak. Maybe a talented member of this on-line community can produce one for sale.  :)

I am still upset about this news regarding the dvd.  WHO do you blame?  Eternal Sunshine (one of the few other DVDs I own made by FOCUS) was great in their intial issue.  It had director's commentary.  I don't think they had deleted scenes.  But they did double dip and I presume they would have it in Disc2.   Is Ang Lee that busy that he can't do director's commentary. What's the deal at Focus?  I mean NO deleted scenes...  Kate Winslet gave an excellant interview on the initial issue of Eternal Sunshine. What's Jake doing? Is HEath that busy? I hope the parties involved aren't trying to distance themselves from this film so soon. It made them, well the two lead actors were catipulated to a higher tier if not at Leo D levels. 

Is anyone here a member of the Dave McCullen (?sp) forum.  There so big.  I mean they took out an ad in VARIETY  after BBM lost the OSCARS. Maybe they have a plan.  Should we contact them?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 01:11:04 pm »
Maybe latter in the year, they will come out with a high gloss BBM 2007 calendar, one with dates that are important anniversaries in the lives of the major characters.  A double-dip calendar so to speak. Maybe a talented member of this on-line community can produce one for sale.  :)

What a great idea!  :D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 05:33:38 pm »

During the EURO Brokie Meeting in September Becky showed us a booklet she'd bought off E-bay that had been published in connection with early publicity for the film in the USA and given to select reviewers etc. That booklet was absolutely, totally gorgeous and I can't for the life of me understand why it hasn't been published to be sold as a movie tie-in. They're missing an opportunity there, truly. I so would have loved to have that.

Aww, I remember that very fondly, too. The booklet was just f'in great. And it was so kind from Becky to bring it along and show it to all of us, together with her scrapbooks.
You're not alone, Mikaela, I'd love to have that booklet, too.

As for the DVD, I second third David's comment:
This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation!   
But we can always hope.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 06:00:34 pm »

Well as much as I am disappointed in this news, I am glad of one thing, at least I know now  not to look forward to buying this latest release, if it is all that this thread is saying it is (not!)  :-\.    At least I have found this info out early, vs having my hopes up until January!

What a damn shame that they are doing such a poor job of this.  I was soooo looking forward and had my fingers crossed big-time for the deleted scenes.

I thank you Messenger for letting us know about this.

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."