Author Topic: White Picket Fences and Apple Trees  (Read 19302 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
White Picket Fences and Apple Trees
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:31:58 am »
Karen, a fairly new member here at Bettermost, highly recommends this story. I have read just two chapters but it seems to start off well. This will take you to chapter 1:

http://midget-size.livejournal.com/2912.html

Use the arrows at the top of the LiveJournal to navigate to subsequent chapters. I think there are about 22 now.

Enjoy!

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: White Picket Fences and Apple Trees
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:53:39 am »
Giving this one a bump.

Chapter nine of part two (Winter) is posted today:

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1027006.html#cutid1

All chapters can be found on midget's LJ:

http://midget-size.livejournal.com/

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 06:51:05 am »
Chrissi,
thank you for bumping this. I hadn't heard of this story, but i'm really enjoying reading it. And it really has been too long since i sat down and started to read 30+ chapters in a couple of days!! I love a marathon read.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

karen1129

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:14:53 am »
Chrissi,
thank you for bumping this. I hadn't heard of this story, but i'm really enjoying reading it. And it really has been too long since i sat down and started to read 30+ chapters in a couple of days!! I love a marathon read.

I started reading it yet again last night.  Isn't it a good read?

Karen

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 07:14:39 am »

Karen

It is! I finished reading yesterday and now of course, it's back to waiting (impatiently) for an update...

*taps her fingers*

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 08:10:32 am »

Karen

Yep, it sure is.  I'm chiming in with a thumbs-up on this heartwarming story. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 05:16:17 am »
Does anybody know anything about this story?
It hasn't been updated for almost half a year (since end of March).  :-\
Recently I read something about it on LJ, but can't relocate it. Additionally, the comment wasn't by the author (midget_size) herself. So please consider this as rumor: I don't remember the words, but said comment went along the lines that midget wouldn't have any plans on updating it.

Did someone else read it? Or does anybody of you have any info about this story?

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 10:25:06 am »
The last we heard, the author said she'd kind of lost her muse and didn't know when she'd be updating again.  It's a shame, because I really enjoyed this story.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 10:49:56 am »
The last we heard, the author said she'd kind of lost her muse and didn't know when she'd be updating again.  It's a shame, because I really enjoyed this story.

Thank you Lori.

:( Really too bad.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 02:40:08 am »

Thank you Lori.

:( Really too bad.

Yes, I agree Chrissi. But I'm not giving up yet. Does anyone know what to do to to help midget_size find her muse? Would a bit of bribery help? I could promise a box of chocolates, of course... ::)

Ideas anyone?  :-\

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 08:54:53 pm »
Great news!  midgetsize just posted this at Brokebackslash:

Hi guys! *Wave* Sorry for falling off the face of the earth. Some of you may remember my fic, White Picket Fences and Apple Trees. I've left you hanging for...I don't even know how long. I just wanted to let you guys know that sometime--I don't know when, mind you--I plan to update. It could be another month or two, depending on how things go, but I've got some more coming.

I guess that just proves that you can never say never - and should never give up!  :)

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 02:31:24 am »

Hi guys! *Wave* Sorry for falling off the face of the earth. Some of you may remember my fic, White Picket Fences and Apple Trees. I've left you hanging for...I don't even know how long. I just wanted to let you guys know that sometime--I don't know when, mind you--I plan to update. It could be another month or two, depending on how things go, but I've got some more coming.

I guess that just proves that you can never say never - and should never give up!  :)

Marie

Oh, Marie, that is great news to start a new workweek!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 06:42:32 am »

Marie

Who woudda thunk it?
Thank ya, Marie, good news are always welcome on a Monday morning  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 07:23:26 pm »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 03:06:04 am »
Hi Marie 'n all,

I just wanted to post the link, but you were faster  :).
I've already read the new chapter and love the story as much as ever.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 03:13:13 am »
Thanks for the link Marie. What a great way to start the day!  :)

It's so good to have this story back!

I loved this:
'Ennis felt like he should say more, but he didn’t know what. He cleared his throat and just decided to jump in. “Missed you, you know. Um, when you went to your aunt’s.” He looked at his feet. He had a hole in his sock and his toe was poking out.'

Midget does such a good job with the way Ennis and Junior are building bridges. Or, at least trying to! Just jump in, that's the way to go!

I hope they can all celebrate Christmas together.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 02:23:46 pm »
...I've already read the new chapter and love the story as much as ever.

Yep, me too, Chrissi!

Midget does such a good job with the way Ennis and Junior are building bridges. Or, at least trying to! Just jump in, that's the way to go!

Yep, that's just one of the unique things about this story - how Ennis and Junior have to learn to know each other after so many years apart.   They're so much alike, and I find their awkwardness so believable and realistically portrayed.  It's nice to see that they're making progress! 

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 02:27:26 pm »

I hope they can all celebrate Christmas together.

???  :-\

Just realized. They celebrated Christmas already.... Maybe midget meant New Year's Eve??

I need to reread the last chapter, which is not a bad thing of course! LOL

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 02:34:21 pm »
???  :-\

Just realized. They celebrated Christmas already.... Maybe midget meant New Year's Eve??

I need to reread the last chapter, which is not a bad thing of course! LOL

Yeah, I didn't catch that the first time through either  :) -  but somebody pointed it out in their comment!  That shouldn't be too hard to correct.  I should probably re-read the last few chapters. too.  I'm sure there's a lot of stuff I've forgotten!

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 02:45:58 pm »
Thanks Fabienne. Off to read...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 02:06:08 pm »
Thanks, Fabienne!

SPOILERISH

This chapter is a great example of why I'm so glad to have this story back.  Bobby is my hero!

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 05:30:14 am »
Update!!  :)  :)

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1763662.html#cutid1

SPOILERS

I liked the talk between Ennis and Bobby. Ennis really managed to comfort Bobby. I can just imagine Jack almost bursting out of his skin trying to take the phone from Ennis. But I really liked the fact that Ennis dealt with this.

And some very painful things said between Lureen and Bobby. I can understand Bobby wanting to hear her say something that will make it all right. But like Lureen said 'what's done is done'. Bobby had to grow up fast but I think he's starting to realise that he came out ok. It's just the 'let be, let be' that can be hard to accept.

The atmosphere in Wyoming and Texas couldn't be more different.

I loved Ennis's embarressement at the fact that he couldn't get to Jack quick enough. And the fact that Junior noticed and couldn't help but smile too!

This is a great story.  :)  :)

*off do start my christmas shopping*

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 05:36:57 am »
Thanks for telling us about the update Fabienne  :-*
Off to read  :D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 03:56:41 pm »

SPOILERS

I liked the talk between Ennis and Bobby. Ennis really managed to comfort Bobby. I can just imagine Jack almost bursting out of his skin trying to take the phone from Ennis. But I really liked the fact that Ennis dealt with this.

And some very painful things said between Lureen and Bobby. I can understand Bobby wanting to hear her say something that will make it all right. But like Lureen said 'what's done is done'. Bobby had to grow up fast but I think he's starting to realise that he came out ok. It's just the 'let be, let be' that can be hard to accept.

The atmosphere in Wyoming and Texas couldn't be more different.

I loved Ennis's embarressement at the fact that he couldn't get to Jack quick enough. And the fact that Junior noticed and couldn't help but smile too!

This is a great story.  :)  :)

*off do start my christmas shopping*

Yep, what you said!   :)  The fact that Ennis didn't hand the phone over to Jack speaks volumes, doesn't it?  Bobby has two wonderful dads.  And I had to keep reminding myself of that because I wanted to reach in and give him a hug while he and Lureen had it out.  But, you're right - we can't change the past but we can learn from it.  I just wish it wasn't always the children that take the brunt of all the curve balls that life throws at the adults. 

This is a great story and I'm so glad she decided to continue. 

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 03:40:44 pm »
Update!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1798379.html#cutid1

SPOILERS

Boy, Bobby is having to be really grown up, isn't he? I love that after he hears his dad and Ennis he decides to stay with Lureen and see what happens. He's not giving up yet, and that is very mature of him.

I loved how Ennis and Jack are falling over themselves when the phone is ringing. LOL. I'm glad Junior's anxiety was addressed too. This family unit is coming together nicely.

And, OMG, how will Ennis and Jack react when they find out about the broken arm??  :o But, then again, it was nice that Bobby got his rodeo thing done while Lureen was watching. It was maybe a wild thing to do, but it was good to see some fiesty Lureen there. Jack and Ennis will get over it, eventually! LOL

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 04:33:06 pm »

SPOILERS

Boy, Bobby is having to be really grown up, isn't he? I love that after he hears his dad and Ennis he decides to stay with Lureen and see what happens. He's not giving up yet, and that is very mature of him.

I loved how Ennis and Jack are falling over themselves when the phone is ringing. LOL. I'm glad Junior's anxiety was addressed too. This family unit is coming together nicely.

And, OMG, how will Ennis and Jack react when they find out about the broken arm??  :o But, then again, it was nice that Bobby got his rodeo thing done while Lureen was watching. It was maybe a wild thing to do, but it was good to see some fiesty Lureen there. Jack and Ennis will get over it, eventually! LOL

Yep, Bobby's behavior has been admirable, and they are making some headway with Junior, too.  I'm glad Kurt spilled the beans - she wants so badly to be a part of things,but she doesn't know how to close the gap. 

From what midget-size said in some replies, it sounds like J&E are going to freak out about Bobby's accident, and that's understandable.  She also said that she's going to make it a little more clear that Lureen thought Bobby had more experience at bull-riding, so it won't make it look quite so insane that she was actually daring her son to ride!   :laugh:  I think she was desperately trying to find some way to make a connection with Bobby, so that, coupled with the fact that she had the wrong impression about his experience, clouded her judgment.  I can't wait for next chapter - fireworks for sure, but if this helps Bobby feel that Lureen does care about him (which I think is what he really wants) than it'll be a good lesson all around.

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 03:32:04 am »
New update! Yay, what a great monday morning gift.

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1935195.html#cutid1

Gosh, there are so many good things in this chapter. I really like the way Kurt and Louisa's situation is described, very real and heartfelt. I love that Jack and Ennis are thinking of them, being somewhat of a surrogate family for them. Those kids sure need a break. And Junior and Kurt dating, hunh, i think that's a great match!

And I love how Lureen and Bobby are getting closer, the argument they had about Bobby not telling his mum about the bull riding. She's worried Jack won't let her see Bobby again. It looks like Bobby's charms have really worked on her. I love it that they have been 'hanging out together'. They have come such a long way...

And yeah, the brother and sister thing. Oh, it's clear Jack doesn't have any brothers or sisters. Because otherwise he'd know that there's trouble ahead!

Loved it when Bobby talks about his two dads...

This is such a good story. Can't wait for the next update.

:)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 02:01:32 pm »
I just started reading this story last week and I'm really liking it. It is so nice to sit down and read fics as though they were novels-no stopping to wait for the next installment. It  is a gloomy Monday, I'm off work. I want to catch-up to the current chapter but then again I want to just take my time with it.

Heathen

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 01:36:10 pm »
New update! Yay, what a great monday morning gift.

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1935195.html#cutid1

Gosh, there are so many good things in this chapter. I really like the way Kurt and Louisa's situation is described, very real and heartfelt. I love that Jack and Ennis are thinking of them, being somewhat of a surrogate family for them. Those kids sure need a break. And Junior and Kurt dating, hunh, i think that's a great match!

And I love how Lureen and Bobby are getting closer, the argument they had about Bobby not telling his mum about the bull riding. She's worried Jack won't let her see Bobby again. It looks like Bobby's charms have really worked on her. I love it that they have been 'hanging out together'. They have come such a long way...

And yeah, the brother and sister thing. Oh, it's clear Jack doesn't have any brothers or sisters. Because otherwise he'd know that there's trouble ahead!

Loved it when Bobby talks about his two dads...

This is such a good story. Can't wait for the next update.

Yep - you've covered it all, Fabienne.  This story is so charming - it has such a fresh, comforting quality to it.

I just started reading this story last week and I'm really liking it. It is so nice to sit down and read fics as though they were novels-no stopping to wait for the next installment. It  is a gloomy Monday, I'm off work. I want to catch-up to the current chapter but then again I want to just take my time with it.

Yeah, it's a rare treat to read a fic straight through, and this is a really good one!

Marie 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:55 pm »
Chapter 15 is up! 

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2083499.html?view=18480811#t18480811

This fic is so aptly titled.  Every chapter is like coming home - and you're so happy to be there.   :)

Marie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 01:21:15 am »
Whoo-eee. Almost had a heart-attack  (;)) when I saw this thread popping up  :laugh:. I missed the February chapter because I didn't read any fanfic back then, and later wanted to wait for the next chapter (the author had such a long hiatus sometime last year, I thought she'd never end this story).
But now that's something to look forward to after my visit at the dentist today.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 01:48:28 am »
Gosh, what a treat this story is!

And good news that the author said she will update more frequently!

I find the parts where Junior thinks about her mother hard to read, but very well written. She really gets inside Junior's head.

'She couldn’t do right by her mama now—it was too late. But she could do better with her daddy.'

I can't wait to read more about how the relationship between Junior and her dad will develop.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 07:59:55 am »
Whoo-eee. Almost had a heart-attack  (;)) when I saw this thread popping up  :laugh:. I missed the February chapter because I didn't read any fanfic back then, and later wanted to wait for the next chapter (the author had such a long hiatus sometime last year, I thought she'd never end this story).
But now that's something to look forward to after my visit at the dentist today.

This is a great story to ease yourself back into fanfic, Chrissi - and just the thing after a trip to the dentist!

I find the parts where Junior thinks about her mother hard to read, but very well written. She really gets inside Junior's head.

Yep, I mentioned it in my comment because that really stood out to me.  A short and simple memory, but so powerful and moving - and made even more so because it looks like it could be the catalyst to a closer relationship with her dad.  Bittersweet and beautifully written.

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 11:47:57 pm »
Chapter 16! 

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2101949.html?#cutid1

SPOILERS

A really nice mix in this chapter.  I'm glad J&E calmed down a bit about the broken arm - looks like some good lessons were learned and some positive developments came out of it.  Bobby and Lureen for one.  And wasn't it great that Bobby spoke of Junior as his sister! And it looks like she thinks of him as a brother, too. 

My heart broke for poor Louisa (for all the McGowans, really).  But sweet Jack couldn't have been kinder or more understanding. 

I'll be sorry to see this story end.  Is anyone reading midget-size's other story, "Healing Wings"?  I thought the subject matter might be too depressing, but she handles it so deftly she hits just the right tone.  A unique premise and as beautifully written as WPFAAT.

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 02:57:37 am »
And look, here's chapter 17 already!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2119631.html#cutid1

What a beautiful, intens chapter. I'm off to read it again.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 12:09:36 pm »
And look, here's chapter 17 already!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2119631.html#cutid1

What a beautiful, intens chapter. I'm off to read it again.

Yeah, intense, for sure!  Junior's right - Kurt just couldn't keep it in anymore and that was bound to happen.  That poor family just can't keep going on as they have been.  Hopefully, Mary Ellen will get the help she needs so that she can be a mother to her surviving children. 

Julie Ann was "good people" as Jack put it.  Hope to see more like her.  I can see how the threads of the story are coming together - in a good way - but I'll be sorry to see this story end.

Marie

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 12:13:35 am »
This is one of the stories I started pretty late in the game - read through most of it one weekend. It has earned a place as one of my favorite au stories and I hate to see it end as well. I love the addition of Kurt's clan and their story. They are as interesting as the delMar-Twists

Heathen

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05:53 pm »
Updates two days in a row! 

A terrific Chapter 18 yesterday (with some scary foreshadowing).

And Chapter 19 tonight:

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2169433.html?#cutid1

SPOILERS

OMG.  I had so many emotions throughout this chapter - and they all involved tears.  Poor, poor Jack - he has to be frantic with worry and the need to get home!
Looking back on Bobby's thought:  His daddy’d be proud for sure.  Gah - that's killing me.

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 01:38:39 am »
OMG  :o  :'(

What an intens chapter. Tears for sure.

But the silver lining is all the 'dad', 'daddy' and 'brother' that was said! That was wonderful.

Get home soon Jack!!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 06:30:13 pm »
But the silver lining is all the 'dad', 'daddy' and 'brother' that was said! That was wonderful. 

It was wonderful.  :)  And I think another silver lining will be that the townsfolk will pull together and support them.

And I just thought of something. Troy had to tell Ennis that it wasn't the "regular" hospital, it was the Ten Mile Creek one.  How will Jack know to go to the right hospital? I think he hung up before Kurt could tell him.  I know he'll get there eventually, but the last thing he needs is a detour! 

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2008, 04:50:26 pm »

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11:47 pm »
Well, MaineWriter, once again you bring a wonderful story to us.  The inner wrokings of the Twist/del Mar house have been great to read about, the kids growing up to recognize 2 dads, the growth and love each has for the others and,even with the problems of life and their need to protect each other again and again, the solidarity they have formed.  And the ongoing inadequacy and self-esteem issue that Jack and Ennis have, which keeps creeping  back to haunt us (and them) even as they time and again profess their love and need for each other.  I really like the direction you have chosen, knowing it is going to have to come to a close soon, but I will keep coming back to read it more.  I hope this is the last we hear of the tire-iron which has loomed over them for such a long time.  Maybe even Lureen can become a 'nice' and 'accepting' and 'loving' person, but I won't hold my breath on that one. I ROFLMAO about the 'armpit sandwich' bit, that was truly inventive.  I'm really looking forward  to the way you wrap this story up, giving peace to all the characters (hopefully) and to us.  Great Work!!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 07:23:54 pm »
Hi rlh!  It's a great story isn't it?  FYI, MaineWriter started the thread on this story, but the story is actually written by midget_size.  She's also written some other wonderful things that you can find on her LJ.  :)

For those who haven't read it yet, here's the link to Chapter 21.  According to midget_size, there will be one more chapter after this and then an epilogue.  It will be hard to say good-bye to all these rich and true-to-life characters.

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2307018.html#cutid1

Marie

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 09:09:26 pm »
I am indeed sorry for my mistake, particularly for thinking they were one and the same, not individuals.  I will certainly write midget-size about the story.   Thank you so much for correcting me.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 09:22:40 pm »
I am indeed sorry for my mistake, particularly for thinking they were one and the same, not individuals.  I will certainly write midget-size about the story.   Thank you so much for correcting me.

Oh, there's no need to apologize at all!   I can understand your confusion!  But, yes, midget_size loves getting comments on her stories and is always very gracious, so I'm sure she'd appreciate hearing your thoughts over on her LJ!   :)  Do you have an LJ account? 

Marie

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 03:32:11 pm »
Well, MaineWriter, once again you bring a wonderful story to us.  The inner wrokings of the Twist/del Mar house have been great to read about, the kids growing up to recognize 2 dads, the growth and love each has for the others and,even with the problems of life and their need to protect each other again and again, the solidarity they have formed.  And the ongoing inadequacy and self-esteem issue that Jack and Ennis have, which keeps creeping  back to haunt us (and them) even as they time and again profess their love and need for each other.  I really like the direction you have chosen, knowing it is going to have to come to a close soon, but I will keep coming back to read it more.  I hope this is the last we hear of the tire-iron which has loomed over them for such a long time.  Maybe even Lureen can become a 'nice' and 'accepting' and 'loving' person, but I won't hold my breath on that one. I ROFLMAO about the 'armpit sandwich' bit, that was truly inventive.  I'm really looking forward  to the way you wrap this story up, giving peace to all the characters (hopefully) and to us.  Great Work!!
Dear midget-size: please accept my most humble apologies for my screw-up.  I certainly didn't mean to dishonor either you or MaineWriter, who I'm sure won't mind if I re-direct these comments properly to you.  This is one of a few very good stories I have been able to find, and it has done a lot to help me find some solace from the pain of the original story.  Please keep writing more fine work like this.  And again, please accept my apology.  Richard

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2008, 12:57:27 pm »
Chapter 22 of this part of the story is up!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2340995.html#cutid1

It's the last "official" chapter - but here's the author's note:

Okay, this chapter is probably the longest chapter I've ever written, and I'm not going to lie--it doesn't answer all the questions. But that's what we've got an epilogue for, right? ;)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 04:28:17 pm »
Well, it came more quickly than I expected - here's the Epilogue!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2348513.html

IMO, this could not have been better!  The entire story was touching without ever being corny, realistic without ever being melodramatic, and there was a consistent natural humor that never seemed forced woven throughout.  I'm sure glad she finished it after that long hiatus.   :)

Marie