Author Topic: White Picket Fences and Apple Trees  (Read 19329 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: White Picket Fences and Apple Trees
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:55 pm »
Chapter 15 is up! 

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2083499.html?view=18480811#t18480811

This fic is so aptly titled.  Every chapter is like coming home - and you're so happy to be there.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 01:21:15 am »
Whoo-eee. Almost had a heart-attack  (;)) when I saw this thread popping up  :laugh:. I missed the February chapter because I didn't read any fanfic back then, and later wanted to wait for the next chapter (the author had such a long hiatus sometime last year, I thought she'd never end this story).
But now that's something to look forward to after my visit at the dentist today.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 01:48:28 am »
Gosh, what a treat this story is!

And good news that the author said she will update more frequently!

I find the parts where Junior thinks about her mother hard to read, but very well written. She really gets inside Junior's head.

'She couldn’t do right by her mama now—it was too late. But she could do better with her daddy.'

I can't wait to read more about how the relationship between Junior and her dad will develop.

:)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 07:59:55 am »
Whoo-eee. Almost had a heart-attack  (;)) when I saw this thread popping up  :laugh:. I missed the February chapter because I didn't read any fanfic back then, and later wanted to wait for the next chapter (the author had such a long hiatus sometime last year, I thought she'd never end this story).
But now that's something to look forward to after my visit at the dentist today.

This is a great story to ease yourself back into fanfic, Chrissi - and just the thing after a trip to the dentist!

I find the parts where Junior thinks about her mother hard to read, but very well written. She really gets inside Junior's head.

Yep, I mentioned it in my comment because that really stood out to me.  A short and simple memory, but so powerful and moving - and made even more so because it looks like it could be the catalyst to a closer relationship with her dad.  Bittersweet and beautifully written.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 11:47:57 pm »
Chapter 16! 

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2101949.html?#cutid1

SPOILERS

A really nice mix in this chapter.  I'm glad J&E calmed down a bit about the broken arm - looks like some good lessons were learned and some positive developments came out of it.  Bobby and Lureen for one.  And wasn't it great that Bobby spoke of Junior as his sister! And it looks like she thinks of him as a brother, too. 

My heart broke for poor Louisa (for all the McGowans, really).  But sweet Jack couldn't have been kinder or more understanding. 

I'll be sorry to see this story end.  Is anyone reading midget-size's other story, "Healing Wings"?  I thought the subject matter might be too depressing, but she handles it so deftly she hits just the right tone.  A unique premise and as beautifully written as WPFAAT.

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 02:57:37 am »
And look, here's chapter 17 already!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2119631.html#cutid1

What a beautiful, intens chapter. I'm off to read it again.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 12:09:36 pm »
And look, here's chapter 17 already!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2119631.html#cutid1

What a beautiful, intens chapter. I'm off to read it again.

Yeah, intense, for sure!  Junior's right - Kurt just couldn't keep it in anymore and that was bound to happen.  That poor family just can't keep going on as they have been.  Hopefully, Mary Ellen will get the help she needs so that she can be a mother to her surviving children. 

Julie Ann was "good people" as Jack put it.  Hope to see more like her.  I can see how the threads of the story are coming together - in a good way - but I'll be sorry to see this story end.

Marie

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 12:13:35 am »
This is one of the stories I started pretty late in the game - read through most of it one weekend. It has earned a place as one of my favorite au stories and I hate to see it end as well. I love the addition of Kurt's clan and their story. They are as interesting as the delMar-Twists

Heathen

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05:53 pm »
Updates two days in a row! 

A terrific Chapter 18 yesterday (with some scary foreshadowing).

And Chapter 19 tonight:

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2169433.html?#cutid1

SPOILERS

OMG.  I had so many emotions throughout this chapter - and they all involved tears.  Poor, poor Jack - he has to be frantic with worry and the need to get home!
Looking back on Bobby's thought:  His daddy’d be proud for sure.  Gah - that's killing me.

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 01:38:39 am »
OMG  :o  :'(

What an intens chapter. Tears for sure.

But the silver lining is all the 'dad', 'daddy' and 'brother' that was said! That was wonderful.

Get home soon Jack!!