Author Topic: Favorite Thanksgiving Food  (Read 12499 times)

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Food
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 07:35:42 pm »
Not exactly a dish, but a possible turkey stand-in: A veggie friend of mine told me about tofurkey, a meat substitute made from tofu. (I haven’t tried it ’cause I can’t eat soy.) Looks and acts like sliced deli meat. Maybe a few pieces of that on your son’s plate?

Do you have a crock pot you could bring? It would be pretty easy to make a vegetable stew (or maybe something with vegetables and a legume and a grain, like rice & beans or corn & green beans or something, to make the complete protein stand-in, in case your mother-in-law is skeptical about the whole no-meat business). If you had a crock pot, you could just chop the vegetables (or even use frozen ones plus potatoes plus spices -- like cumin + oregano + garlic, something mild but with lots of flavor), plug in the crock pot, and let it sit in some out-of-the-way corner.

Both excellent ideas, Mel and Barbara! Thanks!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 02:58:24 am »
A good sweet potatoe pie-but that's dessert.

Dressing (we don't call it stuffing)-cornbread with sausage, oysters and Lynne's sage.

Have to pass on the white, or any other color, "stuffing".

Heathen

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 12:04:18 pm »
I was so surprised to find that most of us chose stuffing.  But of course, it's stuffing with gravy.  And with turkey, and a bit of cranberry sauce.  All that in each bite.

And here's my secret - I prefer the cylindrical jellied cranberry sauce to real homemade cranberry sauce.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 12:55:37 pm »
I'm with you, Elle.  No problem with the canned cranberry.  But I love all versions, 'cept maybe those with too much orange.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 04:20:44 pm »
And here's my secret - I prefer the cylindrical jellied cranberry sauce to real homemade cranberry sauce.

My mom used to use this. And she'd plunk it in a bowl whole, so you could still see the can seam imprinted on the side!

I have made this really good sauce with cranberries, orange juice and zest, and granny smith apples. You mix them together, maybe with some sugar, and bake until they thicken to a gel-like consistency.

If anybody wants the recipe, let me know!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 03:26:27 am »
My mom used to use this. And she'd plunk it in a bowl whole, so you could still see the can seam imprinted on the side!

Ah, a thing of beauty.  :)  I want to get a little faceted glass rectangular dish, just for my canned cranberry sauce, and a special little knife/server.  :)