Author Topic: Favorite Thanksgiving Food  (Read 12503 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Favorite Thanksgiving Food
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:46:51 pm »
I think my favorite item is the mashed potatoes - especially when you make them homemade with garlic and homemade gravy.   :-*
No more beans!

moremojo

Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Food
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:21:58 pm »
You can't have Thanksgiving without turkey, of course, but you can't have turkey without the stuffing--and that's what I claim as my favorite!

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 06:41:21 pm »
I gotta have the turkey! But if i have turkey i gotta have those mashed potatoes and gravy!! And cranberry sauce is a must. However, stuffing i love but not all stuffings are equal so that will depend on where I am
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 06:44:28 pm »
Mmmm! Love Mashed Potatoes and Turkey!     :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 06:54:36 pm »
You are making me hungry, Barb!! My favourite thing is the spiced peaches. It wouldn't be T-giving without them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 07:40:26 pm »
I had to vote for stuffing :)  It's my favorite and something I only go to the trouble to make on rare occasions, so it makes things special.  And there's a hundred ways to do it and everybody claims their way is the 'best' which is fun!

I remember one of Price and my first Thanksgivings in Boston, we had to have two types - his breadcrumb/oyster stuffing Connecticut style and my cornbread/sage Southern style.  Well, all would have been well, EXCEPT for the detail that self-rising cornmeal was not readily available in Boston and how was I s'posed to know that I needed to add baking powder and soda??  A total bust, but a fun memory!  8) ::) 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 09:02:42 pm »
Dressing, but only if it's the good kind - from inside the turkey.

I prefer cornbread to white bread dressing.  I suppose I've never eaten white bread dressing that was any good, so I'm biased.

But you can't have cornbread dressing/mashed potatoes without decent giblet gravy doused on top!!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:23:39 pm »
Oh, yeah.  I do the giblet gravy, too.  Grosses Ed out if he has to look at them boiling beforehand, so I try to leave things somewhat mysterious.   Used to be he'd come in the kitchen and be like "What are you *doing*?"  He's since learned to just stay clear.  ::)

I make a white bread stuffing with Italian bread.  I put *so* much butter, onions and celery in it, though, along with the chicken broth, that no one ever complains that it didn't come out of the turkey.  If it's borderline soggy when you put it in the oven and you cover it, it never gets too dry.  And I roast my turkey in one of those oven roasting bags.  Lazy, I know, but the turkey never dries out even if you over-cook it just a tad and clean up's a snap!
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 12:06:10 am »
It's all about the stuffing. Baked in the bird--and Salmonella threat be damned.

Mother always used Italian bread, or some other thickly sliced white bread, though I've learned to like cornbread stuffing, too. Chestnut stuffing is good, too.

And you gotta have gravy on that stuffing. Stuffing without gravy just ain't right.  >:(  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 12:46:28 am »
Stuffing, of course!  Moist and savory, with gravy.  That's what makes it Thanksgiving.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...