Author Topic: Favorite Thanksgiving Food  (Read 12497 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Food
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 12:52:34 am »
The green jello mold that my mother makes...

No. Just kidding.

Stuffing. And gravy. And turkey. And making little lakes in mashed potatoes.

And then pretending the green jello mold is algae growing in the mashed potato lake.

No. Just kidding.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 02:10:52 am »
My favorite Thanksgiving food is a bowl of Froot Loops, which I eat while watching football and waiting for the turkey to be carved that my mother spent three hours cooking.

Just kidding.  :laugh:

PS How do you cook a turkey dinner in three hours? Do you think she microwaved the turkey?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 10:03:47 am »
Maybe he wasn't including the actual roasting time?

You've also gotta love the turkey sammitches you get to have for days (weeks?) afterwards.  Mmmmm, mmmmm, good.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 10:15:22 am »
You've also gotta love the turkey sammitches you get to have for days (weeks?) afterwards.  Mmmmm, mmmmm, good.

Tell you what, maybe the favorite Thanksgiving food is really the leftovers.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 10:31:50 am »
I like the creamed onions (traditional in our family). I posted a really good recipe (which I will be making next week) over on the holiday recipes thread on Anything Goes.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 06:06:26 pm »
Damn, I'm getting hungry reading all this.

Stuffing!  I grew up with Pepperidge Farm stuffing from a bag, but now I prefer wild rice and chestnuts with lots of herbs.  YUM

Also, homemade gravy:  I put all the giblet and goobly bits in a saucepan with red wine on the back of the stove while the turkey is cooking, and use that as the base for gravy.  Just can't go back to store-bought.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 07:54:40 pm »

How did Bobby Twist put it?? 'Gonna be eatin this for two whole weeks?!'
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 12:00:11 am »
My favorite Thanksgiving food is a bowl of Froot Loops, which I eat while watching football and waiting for the turkey to be carved that my mother spent three hours cooking.

Just kidding.  :laugh:

PS How do you cook a turkey dinner in three hours? Do you think she microwaved the turkey?

I guess it depends on how big the turkey is.  I was just watching a cooking show last night and they quoted a cooking time of just under 3 hours for a 12 lb.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 03:10:00 am »
I guess it depends on how big the turkey is.  I was just watching a cooking show last night and they quoted a cooking time of just under 3 hours for a 12 lb.

True. But that's just time in the oven. Then there's all the prep before and after.

I've only cooked one Thanksgiving dinner and it took me all f'in day (in fact, I was in tears by 10 a.m.). But even cooks who seem much more adept than I am seem to take longer than three hours.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 06:09:25 am »
You all know we don't have Thanksgiving over here, so no traditional turkey. Confession time: I never have eaten any turkey my whole life.
But I do love mashed poatoes and I love to make little lakes in it. No kidding, Mel  ;D

Can someone explain the cranberry cauce to me, please? It sounds yummy, but I have no idea whether my association is correct. Is it sweet? Or sweet and sour? Do you eat it together with the meat? Or is it for dessert? Or is it more like a regular brown gravy(not sweet), only with a hint of friut?