Author Topic: Nobody's angel by maidenofthesea  (Read 40836 times)

mvansand76

Nobody's angel by maidenofthesea
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:32:37 am »
Thought I would make a seperate thread for this story by the author of For a Little While, Some Silver Lining and Over the Bridge. The story is called Nobody's angel. Chapters can be found here:

http://maidenofthesea.livejournal.com/

For everybody who is already reading this story, chapter 7 was just posted!

one_of_one

Re: Nobody's angel by maidenofthesea
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:29:16 am »
SPOILERS

This is my favourite fic at the moment. 

I love that we are being shown how their emotions affect their actions.  From that very first sizzle at the Sno Hut, to Ennis's automatic response at the rumble when he saw Jack being hurt.  To go against his own kind like that really showed the reader the depth of his feelings for Jack.  And I think Chas does the show not tell thing amazingly well in regards to this.

I was so surprised that Ennis did actually break away from his roots at the rumble and helped Jack.. I thought him and Jack might get into a scuffle just for show.  It's incidents like this which really make you aware of how Ennis feels.  Likewise when he overturned the table when KE was questioning him.  Ennis isn't a speaker, we see his feelings via his actions, and oh how well Chas writes him.

I am so interested in how Ezra and Ennis are going to confront Ennis's "secret" and be able to move on from it.  And KE now, too.  It was really unexpected reading that he was watching Ennis and now knows there is "something" going on.  I wonder how he'll react when all the pieces of the puzzle slot into place.  Thinking positively, I think that what happened between him and Ennis in the last chapter is going to make things easier in the long run because KE has feelings of guilt now to contend with, and I don't think he's going to be able to blow up at Ennis the way he might have done previously. I think he has too much at stake.

I also like this fic because sex doesn't have such a high profile.  Their emotions are the important thing here, rather than the sex.  She is so subtle with how she describes their experiences, but so effective.  Even when Jack is obvious about what he wants Chas writes it in such a way that doesn't seem overbearing. The scene in the cinema was a stroke of genius...we knew exactly what was going on and the juxtaposition of the movie dialogue with what was happening just made it even more interesting and erotic.  Far more than a  blow by blow account of exactly what they were doing would have done.  For me, anyway.  She's rated it R so far and I really hope it stays that way.  To be honest, I find most sex scenes boring to read and I skip them.  Even with well written ones I'm inclined to zone-out if there are too many. And that ruins the story for me then.

I love this fic so much...love these boys.  I really connect with them, and feel for them, and care what happens to them.

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 01:34:47 pm »
SPOILERS

I'm totally with you about a lot of things you said H ~ I too feel so much for her Jack and Ennis; like I said in my comment on her LJ, I feel that they are two wounded lost souls just meant to be together and I just feel so hopelessly sad for them, for all they've been through...Chas reassured me though; all seems hopeless but may not turn out to be so hopeless after all. She also told me she really wanted the chapter to end with the two of them together and wasn't it just an absolutely beautiful chapter ending? I swear I had such a big lump in my throat:

Some force allowed Ennis to lean his head on Jack’s shoulder as he read, falling into sleep at the sound of his words, the vibration of his voice pulsing through Ennis’s body. The train rattled on, taking them back to where they started several times over, always on the same track, stopping, but going nowhere.

That's just *the* most beautiful image ever to me.

What was also so beautiful to me were Jack's soft touches on Ennis's wrist and palm. I can't quite put my finger on it, what it is exactly about the way Chas writes them....it's just so tender and beautiful. The anguish and love they both feel is so beautifully depicted.

Yeah, Ennis took a huge risk but it didn't surprise me, what else could he do but come to Jack's rescue? Things were looking pretty brutal over there.

I also really love the way she writes the interaction between the Del Mar brothers. She's told me she really loves writing those parts and it definitely shows. I think it was a stroke of genius giving Ennis a twin, that blew me away.
So sad reading about how their sister died.

As for the sex scenes, I think it will be beautiful to read about Jack and Ennis making love for the first time. The way Chas writes this story it'll be just perfect.

I too am loving this fic. It makes me happy and really sad, makes me laugh (the scene at the laundry mat was so hilarious and cute) and cry. The bits with Elliott make me go awww and the (loving) parts with Jack and Ennis just totally blow me away.
Chas really and truly amazes me. I love her for writing this story  :)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 01:36:41 pm by Bigheart »

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:23:05 pm »
For a Little While was the first fanfiction I ever read (ever!). The first chapter of that fanfic just blew me away and the following chapters were good, but there wasn't a lot of development of character until the really powerful ending and what Ennis did. I really got hooked on it when she started writing the sequels.

And now this, this is really the best I have read from her. I love how she describes the characters, the situations they are in, the love between Jack and Ennis and all the characters surrounding them. I loved the last chapter, I especially loved the ending, the train ride, it was beautiful. They really are at peace when they are together.... Can't wait for the next chapter!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:13:43 pm »
I agree, this is the best I have read from her too! I love For a Little While but this one has me absolutely hooked. I love her characterizations and the almost innocent way they go about loving each other. So beautiful...

I'd say more but the three of you covered it! I agree with everything!  :)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:52:38 am »
NEW CHAPTER NEW CHAPTER NEW CHAPTER!!!!!!

:)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 01:42:13 pm »
It was so good!!  ;D

SPOILERS.....

The chocolate cake fight was perfect, and I loved Ennis refusing to leave Jack's dad's office and them kissing there...  :) I have nothing more intelligent than that to say, this is one of my favorites!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 03:40:22 pm »
It was so good!!  ;D

It was! I totally agree! They are so cute! (Nothing coherent or intelligent coming out of me either... ;))

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 08:12:14 am »
Anybody know when she is updating?

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 08:35:43 am »
Anybody know when she is updating?

I think Helen told me it would be today??  *keeps fingers crossed*

mvansand76

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 08:38:55 am »
Well, she usually updates on Monday, right? But I thought she would have been busy with the final chapter of OTB...?
 :-\

one_of_one

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 11:49:56 am »
I was reading replies to the last chapter and she mentioned that it would probably be either tonight or tomorrow night...of course for us Europeans that means Tuesday or Wednesday morning :) 

Hopefully...I am so dying to see how beautifully she writes them together...

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 12:41:51 pm »
Thanks for letting us know!  ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 07:12:43 am »
*looks around*

Update?  ???

one_of_one

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 07:34:33 am »
It's on BBSlash....

And it was wonderful!

*lights cigarette*

one_of_one

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 07:35:28 am »

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 07:44:55 am »
It's on BBSlash....

And it was wonderful!

*lights cigarette*

I agree.

Despite what's happening in this story and all the hard life, grown up stuff that Jack and especially Ennis are having to deal with, there is just something so vunerable and innocent about them.

Karen

mvansand76

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 04:56:03 am »
Thanks you all for letting me know, I never think to look there for NA. I forgot to post my comment. I wasn't overly enthusiastic about chapter nine, but I have no particular reason for it right now. It's just a feeling. When I do figure out what it is that, then I will make sure to post it.

Anybody know when we can expect chapter ten?  ;)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 05:47:25 am »
Thanks you all for letting me know, I never think to look there for NA. I forgot to post my comment. I wasn't overly enthusiastic about chapter nine, but I have no particular reason for it right now. It's just a feeling. When I do figure out what it is that, then I will make sure to post it.

Anybody know when we can expect chapter ten?  ;)

I'm really curious to find out why you didn't like it, Mel  :)

I'm still reeling from the sweet beauty of it all  :)

Probably Wednesday morning? Maybe she'll post sooner cause OTB is finished and she might have more writing time??  ;D  I hope so! 

one_of_one

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 06:01:35 am »

Probably Wednesday morning? Maybe she'll post sooner cause OTB is finished and she might have more writing time??  ;D  I hope so! 

Heee - that's what I'm hoping.

mvansand76

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 09:04:21 am »
 :D :D :D :D

Still not sure what it was. Will keep you posted, think I have to read it again to see if I feel the same about it.

Where is chapter ten??  ;D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 10:45:50 am »
:D :D :D :D

Still not sure what it was. Will keep you posted, think I have to read it again to see if I feel the same about it.

Where is chapter ten??  ;D

Okay  :)

Yeah ..... I don't know  :(

mvansand76

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 11:25:26 am »
 :( I want an update today, tomorrow's SOG-day, no room for NA then...  ;)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 12:53:38 pm »
:( I want an update today, tomorrow's SOG-day, no room for NA then...  ;)

Aww ~ there's always room in my heart for NA  :) but I do agree, both of those overwhelming fics updating on the same day would pretty much mess me up I think. I always need hours to recover from both of them.

one_of_one

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 03:02:48 pm »
Well if NA updates overnight there'll be plenty of time before sog...but doesn't Chas usually say more or less when it'll be up.  Anyone checked her replies to chapter 9 comments?

one_of_one

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 03:15:55 pm »
Chas has just posted on BBSlash that it will be up on Friday - if she posts in the late evening like she usually does it'll be Saturday morning for us Europeans.

*sigh*  What a great start to the weekend :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 03:37:41 pm »
Chas has just posted on BBSlash that it will be up on Friday - if she posts in the late evening like she usually does it'll be Saturday morning for us Europeans.

Thanks H  :-*

No sleeping in for me this Saturday then!  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 03:41:59 pm »

Thanks for letting us know, Helen!  :)

Ok, here goes, while I was writing an article I decided to take a break and read NA-9 again and find out what bugged me about it. Just keep in mind that I absolutely adore this story!

It's Jack's annoyance and impatience, it was the way he showed Ennis the magazines, making Ennis even more insecure. I didn't like that. Not that it's implausible that he would do that, I just didn't like it. Jack just seemed a lot cockier than in the other chapters. Maybe it was to hide his own insecurity, I don't know......Don't shoot me please! (*ducks under the bed*)

It's lines like this: “It’s okay. It’s for you Ennis.”  I don't know, it just seems like an odd thing to say.
|
|
|
OK, enough about what I didn't like. The rest of the chapter was really good and I liked it much more once I told myself to get over the things I didn't like.

Ennis brushed his lips against Jack’s shoulder and left a kiss there. He never thought he would do something like that. Greasers weren’t gentle. They didn’t do things like kiss shoulders and let people read to them.

Jack moved his head, putting his chin in the crook of Ennis’s neck and collar bone.

“Does this feel okay to you?” He blinked against the newly washed shirt. It smelled like cold cotton and cigarettes.

and:

Jack lingered in the doorway for a long time, so did Ennis and eventually it was Ennis that leaned over and kissed Jack on the cheek, a chaste kiss to end their weekend, to say it was time to get back to who they weren’t, time to take sides.

That's beautiful...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 04:37:54 pm by mvansand76 »

one_of_one

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 06:30:50 pm »
It's Jack's annoyance and impatience, it was the way he showed Ennis the magazines, making Ennis even more insecure. I didn't like that. Not that it's implausible that he would do that, I just didn't like it. Jack just seemed a lot cockier than in the other chapters. Maybe it was to hide his own insecurity, I don't know......Don't shoot me please! (*ducks under the bed*)

It's lines like this: “It’s okay. It’s for you Ennis.”  I don't know, it just seems like an odd thing to say.

I felt like he was in a big insecure panic about it all and was trying to reassure himself about what they were doing.  All along he's been saying "this is what other boys do" and I've always taken that to be some kind of reassurance for both himself and for Ennis. 

Hey, I certainly won't be shooting you.  I love to hear the bad as well as the good about what people think of stories.  It's interesting. :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 10:06:08 pm »
LOL, Mel! Get out from under the bed! I won't be shooting you either!  ;D You have every right to say what you do or don't like about the story  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2006, 11:05:18 pm »
It smelled like cold cotton and cigarettes.

I've gotta say, I know it's such a little thing but I love love love that sentence. I remember it really striking me when I read the chapter in the first place. I love little sensory details like that, I think they really make or break a story. This is one of the things this author is so good at. It's such a simple sentence but it says so much!

Ok, I'm done now...   ::)

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 07:38:03 am »
I've gotta say, I know it's such a little thing but I love love love that sentence. I remember it really striking me when I read the chapter in the first place. I love little sensory details like that, I think they really make or break a story. This is one of the things this author is so good at. It's such a simple sentence but it says so much!

Ok, I'm done now...   ::)

I know, it makes the story come alive, that's the exact reason why I quoted that line!  :) I always try to do that as much as possible too when I am writing, it's one of my main goals to make it as lively as possible...

mvansand76

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 05:26:54 pm »
I wanted to ask you guys a favor, last time she posted her new chapter on bbslash and I have no clue how to access that site, I did once and then I nearly got lost, so maybe one of you could post the link here if it does get posted tonight?

:-*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 05:37:59 pm »
I wanted to ask you guys a favor, last time she posted her new chapter on bbslash and I have no clue how to access that site, I did once and then I nearly got lost, so maybe one of you could post the link here if it does get posted tonight?

Sure Mel  :) It'll be Saturday morning for us though or really really late tonight. Helen usually can't sleep or is awake really early when NA is about to update so maybe she'll be willing to post up the link earlier than me  :)

But BBslash is so easy to access ~ I'll give you the link anyway  :)

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/

mvansand76

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 05:42:10 pm »
Sure Mel  :) It'll be Saturday morning for us though or really really late tonight. Helen usually can't sleep or is awake really early when NA is about to update so maybe she'll be willing to post up the link earlier than me  :)

But BBslash is so easy to access ~ I'll give you the link anyway  :)

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/

Thanks! Love your new avatar!  :P

Ben je al verzopen in Rotterdam? Ik heb zo'n hekel aan regen!  >:(

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 06:09:22 pm »
I'll probably be awake when it's posted tonight, so if June and Helen aren't I'll link it here  :)

I know how you feel though, Mel. When I first found brokebackslash I couldn't figure out how to navigate it to save my life! If you have a LJ, it helps if you join the community, then postings there will appear on your friends page and you can also track certain postings and set your LJ so that you'll get an email notice when a certain person posts with a link to the story. So you can track Nobody's Angel particularly if you want. I do it for all of Maggie's stories because I'm addicted  ::)

mvansand76

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 06:30:17 pm »
I'll probably be awake when it's posted tonight, so if June and Helen aren't I'll link it here  :)

I know how you feel though, Mel. When I first found brokebackslash I couldn't figure out how to navigate it to save my life! If you have a LJ, it helps if you join the community, then postings there will appear on your friends page and you can also track certain postings and set your LJ so that you'll get an email notice when a certain person posts with a link to the story. So you can track Nobody's Angel particularly if you want. I do it for all of Maggie's stories because I'm addicted  ::)

Thanks Mandy I will do that! :-*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 07:35:52 pm »
Thanks! Love your new avatar!  :P

Ben je al verzopen in Rotterdam? Ik heb zo'n hekel aan regen!  >:(

Thanks Mel! I love it too!  :P  ::)

Ik haat regen! En wind! En het regent al dagen en dagen BAH!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 07:39:40 pm »

and you can also track certain postings and set your LJ so that you'll get an email notice when a certain person posts with a link to the story.

I didnt know that, Mandy! How do you do that??  ::) I'm terrible with setting my LJ to new stuff! God, I've only just now learnt how to post to my journal  ::) And I've had my LJ for like forever!  ::)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 09:58:07 pm »
LOL I know what you mean. Every time I post it's a struggle!

It's pretty easy to track, when you're reading an entry, around the same place where you can save it to your memories there should be something that says "track" or "track this" (or there will be a symbol that looks like a push pin) and it will lead you to a screen that asks you what it is about that journal you want to track. You can be notified every time that person posts anything, or be notified if they post something with a particular title.

Hope that helps! I'm not great with giving instructions...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 11:15:00 pm »

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2006, 04:54:31 am »

mvansand76

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2006, 06:40:31 am »
That was absolutely amazing, such great dialogue, such great character development...

I am still wondering how it can be that Ezra is so OK with it, is it just because he is his twin brother and he wants to be able to share things with his brother and not make him run away? Maybe because he is a bit more 'schooled', but still, his brother is in love with a guy AND he's a Soc. That's a lot to take....

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2006, 10:39:09 am »
I think them being twins could have a lot to do with it, you so often hear that twins have this really special connection to each other. As for the Soc thing ~ Ezra told Ennis he was lucky to have met and friended a Soc guy, that he got in and that he wished he too had other friends outside of their world and that he's always wondered what it would be like to be friends with one, so I don't think Jack being a Soc guy is too much of a problem for Ezra. I think KE will be completely different though.

I loved their time at the fair, in the Haunted House and on the Ferris wheel. That was so wonderful. And I adored them taking their picture together. Thats always so much fun to do in one of those photo booths *SIGH* I just didn't want their time together to end. And I was just so sad at the ending of the chaper, Jack watching Ennis walk off  :( his thoughts on Ennis, his love for Ennis and the way he so carefully and lovingly put their pics into his magazine. I hope to God his father never finds that magazine.

I love Nobody's Angel. So much  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2006, 11:12:30 am »
I think you're right, June! Ezra is a very special, intelligent kid (guy) who has probably learned a lot more about life and would like to see farther than only Socs and Greasers...

I loved this chapter, and I loved the part at the fair too, especially when Ennis saw Jack and Lureen.

First this:

“No I don’t think you do.” Jack kissed her cheek over and over again and Ennis blinked every time he did it.

And then:

The girl turned around and bopped Jack on the head with the plastic bat and Jack laughed. But it didn’t sound like the way he laughed with Ennis. He didn’t look at her when he laughed.

So he knows that for Jack, this with Lureen is just pretend...

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2006, 11:25:23 am »
Thank God Ennis realises that about Jack and Lureen. I hated him witnessing that kiss, felt so sorry for him  :( I think Helen said something similar in her comment ~  I just wish Lureen would go away and never come back! LOL

mvansand76

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2006, 11:31:35 am »
Thank God Ennis realises that about Jack and Lureen. I hated him witnessing that kiss, felt so sorry for him  :( I think Helen said something similar in her comment ~  I just wish Lureen would go away and never come back! LOL

LOL, that would be perfect! But in the end we know that she doesn't pose a threat, she is just a cover!  ;)

one_of_one

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2006, 12:51:40 pm »

Yeah I did say something or other about it.  I just really felt for Ennis, even though he knew it was a cover, deep down he'd still be feeling hurt.

And can someone explain something that's been puzzling me.  The bit where Ennis and Ezra are talking and Ennis said he didn't know Jack's name....I just did;t get that, because he did know.  Jack told him his name when Ezra drew the knife on him, and then Ezra went home and said "I met your buddy Jack Twist".  It's not that long between the two times so surely he can't have forgotten.  Someone further down the thread had an explanation for this, but I reread the scene and it still didn't make any sense.

I'm wondering if it's all to do with the Jacob and the Angel imagery where in the library Ennis says "You don't have a name?"  And here Ezra persists in asking Ennis the name of his boyfriend.  I'll need to think a bit more.

But, oh what a depth of feeling there is between Ennis and Jack, even though both are unsure as to how to proceed.

I love this story so much!!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2006, 08:51:46 pm »
honestly, I didn't think there was any meaning in the name thing, I just thought it was a "first draft" mistake because I paused at that too... but now that you bring up the library scene I'm going to have to give that a bit more thought...

one_of_one

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2006, 05:13:40 am »
I brought it up in my comment to her LJ, and this is her reply:

To me, and this was my intention and it may not have come out too clearly but here it is: Ezra wanted Ennis to say Jack's name. He wanted Ennis to admit it and not just say 'hey you ran into some guy in an alley that tried to do this to you' In the context of this conversation, it was important to Ezra for him to hear Ennis say his name NOW. Saying Jack now wasn't like saying Jack before or ever again. I really think Ezra saw it as an admission of what was going on.

I can understand that.  Ennis is denying to Ezra and to himself that there is anything going on between him and Jack.  But obviously Ezra knows because of the alley scene.  I get the importance of Ennis saying it because he and Jack have been living in a kind of fantasy space up till now, meeting secretly in deserted stations, cinemas and trains, and alone in Jack's house...experiencing their relationship only out of this world, not in it.  And by forcing Ennis to say Jack's name in front of him, and to have admitted his relationship with him, it has now been dragged into the real world.  Where it needs to be really for Jack and Ennis to go any further.

Even with Jack Ennis has a tendency to almost accuse him of liking things that Ennis doesn't, but thankfully Jack sees through that, otherwise they wouldn't get anywhere at all.

Still confusing to read, though, I think.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2006, 11:02:42 am »
Hey Buds,

Wow!  I got so hooked on this story the other day that I read all 12 posted chapters in one day! 

:o

Thanks for the discussion about Ezra knowing Jack's name but acting like he doesn't during that conversation with Ennis.  I thought it was confusing too... and I honestly thought it was a draft error or continuity error.  But, now it makes more sense... I can see his motivation in getting Ennis to say Jack's name here.  But, still, Ennis already knows that Ezra knows Jack's name.  It's a confusing issue, but easy to look past.

I really like this writing!

cheers!
Amanda
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2006, 11:58:04 am »
Wow!  I got so hooked on this story the other day that I read all 12 posted chapters in one day! 

12?? Do you know something we don't know?  :o I'm just kidding, hi Amanda, welcome to the thread! What did you think of chapter 10?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2006, 12:13:24 pm »
Hey Buds,

Thanks for the discussion about Ezra knowing Jack's name but acting like he doesn't during that conversation with Ennis.  I thought it was confusing too... and I honestly thought it was a draft error or continuity error.  But, now it makes more sense... I can see his motivation in getting Ennis to say Jack's name here.  But, still, Ennis already knows that Ezra knows Jack's name.  It's a confusing issue, but easy to look past.

I really like this writing!

cheers!
Amanda

Welcome to the thread, fellow David Bowie fan!!  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2006, 12:16:20 pm »
Oops, sorry.  You're right, I meant 10.  I think I was thinking of the 12 chapters of Over the Bridge when I wrote that last post.  Anyway, I can't wait until there are 12 chapters (or more) of Nobody's Angel.
 :-\ :-*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2006, 12:23:12 pm »
Hi Amanda!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2006, 08:51:00 am »
Tum tee dum.... hello everybody.... wondering when the next update will be... can't wait for the next update....  :D

one_of_one

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2006, 09:05:11 am »
Tum tee dum.... hello everybody.... wondering when the next update will be... can't wait for the next update....  :D

LOL - I have just been to look at her replies to the comments of chapter ten to see if she says anything about the next chapter....alas no.

Great minds think alike, Mel! :D

mvansand76

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2006, 09:42:32 am »

LOL - I have just been to look at her replies to the comments of chapter ten to see if she says anything about the next chapter....alas no.

Great minds think alike, Mel! :D

They do Helen!  :D

Well, that must mean that she is on schedule? I hope...

one_of_one

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2006, 09:49:48 am »
I just read on ennisjack that Chas intends to have the next chapter up late tomorrow....which for us Euro-peeps will be early Sunday morning.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2006, 10:07:36 am »
Yeehaw!  Thanks for the info!  8)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2006, 10:58:48 am »
I just read on ennisjack that Chas intends to have the next chapter up late tomorrow....which for us Euro-peeps will be early Sunday morning.

;D ;D ;D ;D :D YAY!

mvansand76

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2006, 11:28:17 am »
What do you guys think will happen?

Oh they are so cute! Can't wait for the next chapter!

one_of_one

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2006, 11:49:44 am »
Hmmmm, I don't really know Mel....

I'm thinking maybe something to do with meeting outside school. Ennis has said he cn't meet Jack later on and Jack suggested 3pm (i think) when he got out of school, and Ennis said Ezra got out then too.

So....is Ezra going to meet Jack again?  Or will Ennis meet Jack in some secret place?  I'm really thinking that them meeting in private has to come to an end soon....I think they were risking things a bit at the fair, but if Ennis gets a job they are going to have to meet at times and places where there are other people.

One thing I've been thinking for  a while is whether or not Jack's father will beat him for something (the magazines?  Ennis's photo?) and Jack will end up round at the del Mar house.  I'm not thinking it will happen soon, but I wonder if something like that will happen sometime....

mvansand76

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2006, 12:07:13 pm »
Hmmmm, I don't really know Mel....

I'm thinking maybe something to do with meeting outside school. Ennis has said he cn't meet Jack later on and Jack suggested 3pm (i think) when he got out of school, and Ennis said Ezra got out then too.

So....is Ezra going to meet Jack again?  Or will Ennis meet Jack in some secret place?  I'm really thinking that them meeting in private has to come to an end soon....I think they were risking things a bit at the fair, but if Ennis gets a job they are going to have to meet at times and places where there are other people.

One thing I've been thinking for  a while is whether or not Jack's father will beat him for something (the magazines?  Ennis's photo?) and Jack will end up round at the del Mar house.  I'm not thinking it will happen soon, but I wonder if something like that will happen sometime....

Oh yeah I think there will be a moment where Ennis' promise about not letting Jack's father beat him anymore, that he is not gonna let that happen anymore, comes into play and I am now suddenly thinking of the knive Ennis gave Jack...

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2006, 12:58:59 pm »

Yeah, I mentioned that in my post here that I was really afraid Jack's father might find the magazine  :( Oh God, I don't even want to think of how furious he'll be  :(  :(  :(   :'(  And it's not a very good hiding place is it?? So easy to find and his father is such a fucking control freak, I wouldnt put it past him to snoop around in Jack's room  :(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2006, 01:56:05 am »
So, now I'm all anxious and excited!  It's almost 1 am Eastern time on Sun. and still now update.  I really can't wait!
 :D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2006, 07:14:26 am »
Well H, it did happen soon  :( and I thought it was SO hard to read  :'( I'm still reeling from the pure evilness of the abuse  :( I felt ill reading it  :(
I can hardly wait to find out how KE will react to Jack coming to the house.
Thank God there was sweetness in this chapter too. I absolutely adored all the loving in the car  :) My heart continues to ache for these boys and I so wonder what will happen next.

mvansand76

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2006, 10:22:46 am »
This was such a wonderful chapter, I love it how Jack can't help flirting with Ennis at the car shop. The abuse was terrifying, it reminded me of the scene in American Beauty where Ricky gets beat up by his father and flees the house and then stops to kiss his mom farewell, she reacts in the exact same way, I think in NA Jack's mother might have Alzheimer's or something, because she was acting really weird.

I think Ennis will be very upset when he sees what Jack's father did to Jack and he might get very protective over him and try to go over there and sort the man out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 01:00:48 pm by mvansand76 »

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2006, 11:42:06 am »
The abuse really shook me, I've read a lot and seen a lot of abuse scenes but for some reason this one got to me more than usual. There was something about how quiet it was, if that makes any sense at all, about how Jack's dad expected him to react even during the abuse, how Jack was afraid to even bring his hand to his cheek after he slapped him and how he knew to say "sir" after everything he said. It was chilling. And poor Jack, of all the times for his dad to call him out it had to be when he was in the middle of dressing like a greaser (which I thought was really cute and charming until the abuse started  :) )

I don't know, I just felt so bad for Jack all around in this chapter, even during the really sweet parts with Ennis. He couldn't help himself but flirt and try to touch when he was at Ennis' work but that was just one more reminder of what the two of them can't have.

That was so amazing when Ennis was afraid he would be bad at giving a blow job and Jack told him it couldn't be bad because it was Ennis  ::) so sweet. I love these boys!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2006, 12:17:41 pm »
The abuse really shook me, I've read a lot and seen a lot of abuse scenes but for some reason this one got to me more than usual. There was something about how quiet it was, if that makes any sense at all, about how Jack's dad expected him to react even during the abuse, how Jack was afraid to even bring his hand to his cheek after he slapped him and how he knew to say "sir" after everything he said. It was chilling. And poor Jack, of all the times for his dad to call him out it had to be when he was in the middle of dressing like a greaser (which I thought was really cute and charming until the abuse started  :) )

I don't know, I just felt so bad for Jack all around in this chapter, even during the really sweet parts with Ennis. He couldn't help himself but flirt and try to touch when he was at Ennis' work but that was just one more reminder of what the two of them can't have.

That was so amazing when Ennis was afraid he would be bad at giving a blow job and Jack told him it couldn't be bad because it was Ennis  ::) so sweet. I love these boys!

Makes perfect sense to me, Mandy, what you mean about the quietness  :(  that was indeed so chilling, so terrifying, so utterly heartwrenching  :(
Yeah, loved that part about the blow job, loved how Ennis's jaw hurt too! Heh heh  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2006, 03:31:32 pm »
loved how Ennis's jaw hurt too! Heh heh 

LOL I liked that too! Chas really has a way with showing the awkwardness of first love/sex that I find appealing... it's one of the things I like about TWaTT Ennis too... not that that has anything to do with Nobody's Angel  ::)

mvansand76

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2006, 03:57:48 pm »
TWaTT Ennis?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2006, 04:36:27 pm »
TWaTT Ennis?

ROFL  :laugh: Sorry about that...

The Wolf and the Thunderbird Ennis! Mel, you should definitely check it out if you haven't yet!

mvansand76

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2006, 04:50:49 pm »
ROFL  :laugh: Sorry about that...

The Wolf and the Thunderbird Ennis! Mel, you should definitely check it out if you haven't yet!

Is there already a thread about it on BM?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2006, 05:15:59 pm »
You know... I don't think there is. I'm not sure why though. It's really good. It's an AU!AU that takes place in 70's texas... beware, there are references to prostitution, child abuse, drug use (for those who like that sort of warning...) Here's a link:

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/2598.html

there are 12 chapters now... I think. You should just be able to scroll through her LJ to find the following chapters  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2006, 05:47:42 pm »
This was such a wonderful chapter, I love it how Jack can't help flirting with Ennis at the car shop. The abuse was terrifying, it reminded me of the scene in American Beauty where Ricky gets beat up by his father and flees the house and then stops to kiss his mom farewell, she reacts in the exact same way, I think in NA Jack's mother might have Alzheimer's or something, because she was acting really weird.

I think Ennis will be very upset when he sees what Jack's father did to Jack and he might get very protective over him and try to go over there and sort the man out.

Chas replied to me on her LJ when I asked her that about Jack's mother in chapter 2 that she indeed has health problems.

one_of_one

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2006, 02:35:02 pm »
Heard on the grapevine that the next chapter will be up tonight or tomorrow all being well

*squee*

mvansand76

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2006, 03:17:33 pm »
Heard on the grapevine that the next chapter will be up tonight or tomorrow all being well

*squee*

Such great news Helen!  ;D

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2006, 03:26:45 pm »
oh yay! I heard that too! She also posted a little teaser over at DC... just like 3 sentences and already she's killing me. I can't wait!  ;D

one_of_one

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2006, 05:10:27 pm »
oh yay! I heard that too! She also posted a little teaser over at DC... just like 3 sentences and already she's killing me. I can't wait!  ;D

Aw I want to know what it said!   :-\   :'(

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2006, 05:41:56 pm »
I wonder if I post it over here if she'll be angry... what do you guys think?

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2006, 05:50:58 pm »
I wonder if I post it over here if she'll be angry... what do you guys think?

Maybe you could pm her over at DC to ask her permission. I know she sometimes checks out the thread here cause she told me once in a pm. I just read it over at DC, I still have my account there. I couldnt help myself  ;D
It was wonderful  :) Loved Ennis touching Jack like that *sigh*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2006, 05:57:21 pm »
good idea, I'll PM her and see what she says...  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2006, 06:04:52 pm »
good idea, I'll PM her and see what she says...  :)

Okay  :) It would be nice to share it with the others on the thread  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2006, 07:44:58 pm »
thanks for the info... through the grapevine.   :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2006, 11:08:57 pm »
from maidenofthesea:

Nobody's Angel Chapter 12 Teaser    ;D

"Ennis? You mind telling me what’s going on?” K.E. was still looking Jack up and down, not able to decide what stance to take or if there seemed to be one to take at all.

Ennis didn’t turn around to face him; he just reached up and brushed a hand against Jack’s neck that was mixed with melted snow and single streak of blood and that had to say all Ennis could say then and there.

“This is Jack. Jack Twist.” There was a muttered, solemn air of importance in his words, as if he didn’t want to sound proud but he did anyway.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2006, 01:16:02 am »
well, I post the teaser and she posts the chapter  ::)

I won't give anything away, but I just wanted to say that I think this fan fic is incredibly unique and this newest development is as well.

mvansand76

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2007, 07:40:00 am »
Can you guys see an update? I thought I saw it coming, but now it's gone...  :'(

one_of_one

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2007, 08:11:02 am »
I didn't see one...where did you see it Mel? 

mvansand76

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2007, 08:27:02 am »
Thought it was gonna be posted Thursday or Friday, so...

I was wondering the same thing about Zero at the Bone...

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2007, 08:46:22 am »
Can you guys see an update? I thought I saw it coming, but now it's gone...  :'(

Chapter 12 has been posted

Is that what you were after?

Karen

mvansand76

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2007, 08:53:16 am »
Chapter 12 has been posted

Is that what you were after?

Karen

:) No I think it's supposed to be chapter thirteen today or tomorrow....

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2007, 08:55:49 am »
Ahhh... sorry.

Now you've got me wondering where the next one is.  :)

My fic addiction is taking over....

Karen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2007, 12:10:39 am »
Hey guys, Nobody's Angel update  :D And it's a really really good one!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/880488.html

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2007, 07:08:35 am »
Hey guys, Nobody's Angel update  :D And it's a really really good one!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/880488.html

And it was soo long too! Read it really really late last night but was too overwhelmed  :( and exhausted to comment. It was so wonderful.

mvansand76

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2007, 03:12:50 pm »
SPOILERS...........

Oh no poor Ennis! Hopefully there will be an update soon because this really is a cliffhanger of the worst kind...

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2007, 03:31:55 pm »
**SPOILERS**

All of this was so totally unexpected for me  :'(  And a gun?!! and not a blade, I never expected that!   :(  I do believe Ennis will be alright cause Chas has promised us a good ending but it still took me a long long time to fall asleep last night  :'(

He lay there quiet, concrete angel.    :'(  :'(  :'(     

I drooled at the gorgeous image of a stark naked wet Ezra! SO YUMMY!  ;D  God and poor sweet Jack!   ;D
Awww he was so sweet wanting to help adorable little Elliott   :-*

I SO LOVED the talk Jack had with Ezra. I enjoyed reading that so much   :)  Having Ezra try on the jacket was so sweet but I thought it was kinda sad too.
I LOL at the discussion about Ezzie saying fuck at the dinner table! That was good!

I can't believe how much I love Ezra; love how he is always there for Ennis, sticking up for him and looking out for him. Wonderful   :)

And their sweet loving .... *happy sigh* I just adore the way they love each other   :)
This was so beautifully erotic, so wonderful:

Jack took a deep breath and held it, turning a page of words he wasn’t reading. This was Ennis’s game now, it was his turn.

Jack even started to hum a little and felt Ennis’s lazy fingers dance up to his knee and spread out there, tickling him and he kept right on humming, turning the pages nonchalantly and even tapping his foot.

He saw Ennis’s head disappear beneath the book and it was suddenly removed from his hands and Ennis took it, closed it carefully, putting it down on the floor next to a pile of their clothes that were all tangled up against one another.

“Ennis what-” Jack watched as Ennis scooted up between him on all fours and spread his legs, one hand on each knee.

Jack watched with a half open mouth as Ennis lowered his head onto Jack, half on his stomach half below his belt line, turning his head to the side to stare at the wall and blink against Jack’s belt loops.

“I miss it.”

Jack blinked too, slow and heavy and let his eyes follow the curls on the top of Ennis’s head.

“Miss what?” He croaked.

Ennis tapped four fingers against the tiny rise in Jack’s jeans, one at a time like he was playing the piano.

“This…doing that with you.”

“What?”

Ennis turned his face down until his nose was pressed against the front of Jack’s jeans.

“What boys do.”     

Awwww and Ennis being jealous of Ezra! That's so sweet! And Ennis finally got his cowboy boots too! That was so utterly wonderful  :) But he didn't have very long to enjoy them, did he?  :'(

But, what will happen now?? Will Ezra and KE go after Marco?? And get into trouble  :'(  And God, Ennis was so proud to be working and be albe to save up money for him and Jack  :'(  And now all of that has gone to shit too  :'( And Jack has no money  :'( But maybe Lureen will help out??

I hope Chas updates really really soon.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2007, 04:09:12 pm »
Having Ezra try on the jacket was so sweet but I thought it was kinda sad too.

God, I thought so too. For some reason it just broke my heart, thinking what could be for Ezra... and Ennis, too because sometimes I get the feeling that Ezra is what Ennis could be if he had been given the same chances and was supported to stay in school like Ezzie was. I commented to Chas that her Jack knows how to get right to the heart of every single character in the story. The letterman jacket with Ezzie, then telling Ennis he could be in school too if he wanted... and of course, not making fun of Ennis for the cowboy boots (which was followed by that beautiful love scene that you quoted June that I think sent me over the edge... I loved it so so much!!!)

I also loved Ennis buying those boots, how flustered he was in the store and how he went home and tried to hide them. It was so perfect, Ennis wanting that but being ashamed of wanting that. When he said "I paid for them myself" (not exact dialogue).... And I loved when he said only he and James Dean could pull off a leather jacket with cowboy boots  :D

This story gets me every time. And I really do think that was one of Chas' best chapters!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2007, 08:05:02 pm »

I also loved Ennis buying those boots, how flustered he was in the store and how he went home and tried to hide them. It was so perfect, Ennis wanting that but being ashamed of wanting that. When he said "I paid for them myself" (not exact dialogue).... And I loved when he said only he and James Dean could pull off a leather jacket with cowboy boots  :D

I LOVED all of that SO much too, Mandy  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2007, 11:07:05 pm »
New chapter up!  :D

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/893717.html

BTW June, love your Shane banner!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2007, 11:20:36 pm »
awesome!  thanks for the info!  that last cliff-hanger was too much to take.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2007, 11:38:31 pm »
God, for the first time in this story I really like K.E. ... I won't give anything away, but I really felt for him and understood him in this chapter. What a terrible hand this family was dealt.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2007, 05:49:38 am »
I SO agree, Mandy

**SPOILERS**

I hardly know what to say or where to start, this chapter was so emotional and so overwhelming. God, all I want right now is for Ennis to wake up and see Jack sitting there at his bed  :'( 

My heart goes out to all of them  :(  Poor sweet Jack   :'( Thank God he said he was Ennis's brother so he could ride along in the ambulance. These lines got me good:

But Ennis wasn’t crying or yelling. He was as still as a frozen pond, not scared anymore.   

and these ones:

When no one was looking he let Ennis’s cold fingers rest on his trembling lips.    

I really really felt for KE too, these lines made me feel so sad for him:

“Ezzie,” He said quietly. “I can’t handle much more of anything right now, so please, just shut up.” He sounded like he meant every word. The weight of the world settled itself on his shoulders and seemed content to rotate there around its own black sun.

And all his worrying about missing work and the bills and Elliott and Ezzie missing school....*sigh* And then wanting to know about Jack and Ennis but then again *not* wanting to hear about it either....Aww and how sad he was in the hospital room, his tears  :'(  and what he said to Ennis, “It’s like I’m nobody’s little boy anymore,” He told Ennis in hushed tones.
“You know what I mean don’t ya kid? You’ll always have me being older than you, watching out for you no matter what.” K.E. bit his bottom lip and let ‘but who do I have?’ stay hot and lonely on his tongue
. just about broke my heart 
And omfg when Jack blurted out to KE that they were more than friends, I thought my heart had stopped beating for a second.
And I also thought Jack's stifled yell was so utterly sad too  :'(

Sweet little Elliott was adorable as ever, telling Jack that he is Ennis's best and only friend. That was just so great  :)
I thought this little line was just so brilliant too, so absolutely right for KE:

His tight black t-shirt clung to him angrily

And these last lines really choked me up:

Jack slid both hands up the side of the bed, feeling for Ennis’s and putting one hand in his own. He knew he’d sit in the chair for as long as they’d let him; sleep there if he could with his head on the bed, body in the chair.

He felt something wet on the sheets where K.E. had been and he fingered the fallen splashes of tear drops that were slow to dry and he picked up one of Ennis’s fingers, dragging it across the salty puddles so he could feel them too.

SO beautifully sad   :'(  *SIGH*  I wish Chas could update again tomorrow.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2007, 05:51:54 am »

BTW June, love your Shane banner!!

;D Thanks Mandy! Lucise (Milli) made it, and she's got loads more!  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2007, 03:09:22 pm »
I absolutely loved this chapter... couldn't wait to read the rest of it on the train back home! June has already quoted all my favorite bits, so I won't repeat that! I loved the dialogue in this chapter!

BTW- What are those banners? Shane-banners? Huhn?  ???

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2007, 04:04:15 pm »

BTW- What are those banners? Shane-banners? Huhn?  ???

LOL Mel! My sig line ~ she's a character Mandy, Lucise and I love from an American tv series called 'The L-word' that was on Dutch tv for a while but sadly isn't on anymore. I only got to watch a few episodes  :(  There's even a thread here on BM dedicated to it on Anything Goes  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2007, 04:27:31 pm »
Aaaaah thanks for the explanation. Never watched it!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2007, 05:16:50 pm »
LOL Mel! My sig line ~ she's a character Mandy, Lucise and I love from an American tv series called 'The L-word' that was on Dutch tv for a while but sadly isn't on anymore. I only got to watch a few episodes  :(  There's even a thread here on BM dedicated to it on Anything Goes  :)

Love me some L-word  :) And Shane... she is sexy in a way I never knew existed  ::)

All the ladies of the L-word are though, I can't wait until the newest season is on DVD

ok, this has nothing to do with NBA... sorry!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2007, 05:46:42 pm »
And Shane... she is sexy in a way I never knew existed  ::)

I agree...... ::)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2007, 10:47:59 pm »
I'm jumping in here as another Shane fan!  Indeed very sexy.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2007, 12:50:38 am »
I'm jumping in here as another Shane fan!  Indeed very sexy.

Yes! I love it!

Amanda, I'll tell you what, between Shane and Bowie you are a woman after my own heart, LOL  :-*

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2007, 07:20:45 pm »
Thanks Bud!  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2007, 11:38:11 pm »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2007, 08:17:55 am »
**SPOILERS**

I so love Chas for writing this story. We are so very lucky to be able to read it. What an absolutely beautiful update. So much loveliness, I couldn't have wished for a more sweet and tender way for Ennis to wake up; Jack being the first thing he saw  :)  SO SO sweet  :)  It was everything all of us had been hoping for, wasn't it? and then these lines, omg:

“Ennis,” Jack ran his hands up Ennis’s arm, one in front of the other like he was climbing a ladder.

“Ennis, Ennis,” He repeated, he was touching his arm, his shoulder, his neck and now he was standing, sliding the chair backwards and away from him, touching Ennis’s face, one cheek in each hand.

Ennis watched him quietly, blinking slowly, letting him touch him.

“Ennis, you’re okay, a-are you okay?” Jack’s eyes poured into his and all Ennis could do was breathe, that’s all Jack wanted him to do.

And then Jack wetting Ennis's lips like that ...... oh wow. Beautiful   :)

Aw and again I felt so much for KE and how much he loves Ennis and how much he wanted to please Ennis and be there for him and how he needs his love too. Chas wrote all of that so beautifully  Just wonderful stuff.  :)

Little Elliott was adorable as ever   :)

“Ennie why are you wearing a dress?” Elliott asked drawing two fingers down the front of Ennis’s gown.

Him calling Ennis Ennie is just so cute! What I also thought was really cute was Ezzie wanting one of Jack's candy bars! but not wanting to ask him! Aw.

And Jack saying to KE We'll be fine was wonderful. I loved that   :)

These lines nearly killed me dead, I literally held my breath for a few seconds:

Ennis’s back had pushed both sides of the gown almost completely off and Jack reached for the strings, dragging his hand along the skin slowly.

“So soft,” Jack whispered and he felt Ennis tense against his fingers. 

I loved how Ennis ate the chocolate ice cream and that Jack remembered it was his favourite flavour  :)  I really did feel sorry for Jack though when he came back from the hospital and Ezra was sitting there. He was so disappointed   :(
Heh heh ~ I also loved how Ennis was acting like a big baby not wanting to eat!   ;D
And Ohhhh the scene with bastard Twist was really intense   :(  How I LOVED all the Delmar brothers protecting Jack and each other like that *SIGH*   :)  Loved little Elliott kicking him!  ;D

The ending with Jack and Ezzie was wonderful. I so loved the promise they made. And these lines were brilliant:

Ezzie’s words played concerts in his head and he mouthed the words ‘Don’t fuck with my brother’ over and over until it became fuck and brother and then fuck and Ennis with no space at all in between.

And her very last lines were just ...... wow.

He came half in his hand, half on Ennis’s pants and he brought it up to his stomach on his cupped palm, tracing it over his stomach where he knew Ennis had been shot, coating his skin healing and mending what he couldn’t touch, letting the clear thread dry there.

I love LOVED this update. so so much  :)  And it'll be a long week till the next one.

mvansand76

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2007, 08:38:45 am »
New chapter! It's here!

mvansand76

« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2007, 11:26:08 am »
OK, this is me bumping threads of stories that need to be updated...

NOW!!!!

I miss NA!Jack and NA!Ennis!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2007, 12:46:39 pm »
LOL Mel! NA will be updating late Thursday evening Chas time, so that'll be very early Friday morning Dutch time  :) YAY!!

mvansand76

« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2007, 02:26:26 pm »
LOL Mel! NA will be updating late Thursday evening Chas time, so that'll be very early Friday morning Dutch time  :) YAY!!

Oh great, something to look forward to! Wonder what's gonna happen, though!  :-\

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2007, 01:25:36 am »

mvansand76

« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2007, 04:32:24 pm »

I just have to say that I looooooved the latest chapter, I felt so sad for poor Ezzie, what happened to him at the party, it broke my heart. It was so beautiful how Ennis comforted him, knowing it would be the last time they would lie together like that.... everything changes so fast for them.

I am really waiting to read about how Jack and Ennis will be dealing with their relationship, their future together and how they are going to deal with society.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2007, 06:06:20 pm »
Wasn't that scene where Ennis comforted Ezzie beautiful? I loved it for some reason... it took me completely by surprise but it just felt right, you know?

I think in any other story, I wouldn't have liked that, but something about the relationship between Ennis and Ezra made me believe it. And I especially liked what you pointed out, Mel; Ennis thinking that this will be the last time he ever lays with Ezra like that. That made the scene even more poignant.

I think Ezra is absolutely fascinating, and I am just as interested in his hopes, dreams and motivations as I am Ennis' and Jack's. That does not happen often for me in fic.

Though, I'm with you, I want to learn how Jack and Ennis are going to deal with being together... right now, because of the way the brothers accept them, it's almost like they are in their brokeback phase, what happens when they come off the mountain, when they can no longer live in that house, when the other greasers find out and when the Socs realize where Jack is living. I want to know all of these things!

I'm impatient  ;)  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »
Wasn't that scene where Ennis comforted Ezzie beautiful? I loved it for some reason... it took me completely by surprise but it just felt right, you know?

I think in any other story, I wouldn't have liked that, but something about the relationship between Ennis and Ezra made me believe it. And I especially liked what you pointed out, Mel; Ennis thinking that this will be the last time he ever lays with Ezra like that. That made the scene even more poignant.

I think Ezra is absolutely fascinating, and I am just as interested in his hopes, dreams and motivations as I am Ennis' and Jack's. That does not happen often for me in fic.

Though, I'm with you, I want to learn how Jack and Ennis are going to deal with being together... right now, because of the way the brothers accept them, it's almost like they are in their brokeback phase, what happens when they come off the mountain, when they can no longer live in that house, when the other greasers find out and when the Socs realize where Jack is living. I want to know all of these things!

I'm impatient  ;)  ;D

Me too!

Yeah, I was wondering about to what extent Ennis knows that KE knows about them. I think in hospital Jack was worrying about Ennis finding out that KE knew, but there was no mention of it in the latest chapters. Maybe I should make more of a habit of posting comments on the corresponding livejournals, that way I can get an answer from the author, I am not sure if she posts here....

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2007, 06:14:18 pm »
You know, I'm not sure if she posts here either... I think she used to, but I haven't seen her around here for a long time.

I always post a comment for her, but I'm useless right after I read a chapter, I can never think much past my initial emotions, so I never think of these questions until later...

But I hadn't thought of that, I forgot that Jack was hiding that from Ennis. I don't think Ennis does know... but he knows Ezra knows, because Ezra asked if he loves Jack...

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2007, 06:31:49 pm »
I don't think she post here, she does post on EnnisJack occasionally ~ she puts teasers up on her thread there  :)

I always leave feedback for the stories I read and I always like seeing what kind of feedback I get back, I seem to remember her telling me there won't be too many chapters of NA left  :(

And I think Ennis knows now  :-\ ....this happened in chapter 18:

“Jack if you don’t get off-”

“That’s what I’m trying to do!” Jack said laughing.

Ennis gave one last push and flipped Jack on his side, a play fist raised in mid air when K.E. walked by, whistling.

“Play nice boys,” He said casually on his way to his bedroom.

Ennis and Jack stopped, suspended in time and mid air and stared at the retreating stranger.

“Was that K.E.?” Jack asked.

Ennis sighed and flopped his head back on his pillow.

Or am I reading too much into this?  :-\
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:37:36 pm by Bigheart »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2007, 06:35:56 pm »

I absolutely adore Ezra, I think he's one of the greatest OC's ever. And the last chapter just broke my heart  :'( How humiliating, how utterly sad and cruel  :'(

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2007, 07:23:49 pm »
I don't think she post here, she does post on EnnisJack occasionally ~ she puts teasers up on her thread there  :)

I always leave feedback for the stories I read and I always like seeing what kind of feedback I get back, I seem to remember her telling me there won't be too many chapters of NA left  :(

And I think Ennis knows now  :-\ ....this happened in chapter 18:

“Jack if you don’t get off-”

“That’s what I’m trying to do!” Jack said laughing.

Ennis gave one last push and flipped Jack on his side, a play fist raised in mid air when K.E. walked by, whistling.

“Play nice boys,” He said casually on his way to his bedroom.

Ennis and Jack stopped, suspended in time and mid air and stared at the retreating stranger.

“Was that K.E.?” Jack asked.

Ennis sighed and flopped his head back on his pillow.

Or am I reading too much into this?  :-\

I don't know, I forgot about that part... I don't think you're reading to much into it, I think it could be taken either way. It's possible Ennis thinks K.E. thinks they're just wrestling, but at the same time, this is the kind of thing that, before, if Ennis had known K.E. had seen it, he would have been really embarrassed.

So maybe he does know, maybe Jack told him and we just didn't see it, but you'd think Ennis would be upset/worried to find out KE knows...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2007, 09:09:21 pm »
Hey Buds!  There's an update and epilogue today!
http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1029421.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:13:09 pm by atz75 »