Author Topic: "Spiritual" by Pat Matheny & Charlie Haden (The Dozy Embrace)  (Read 16063 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: "Spiritual" by Pat Matheny & Charlie Haden (The Dozy Embrace)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »
I was introduced to this album by friends from Texas, back in 2007.  I like to think that I was listening to this album at the same time as Annie, who was writing the dozy embrace paragraph.  I recall that I recognized several of the pieces on the album (like the two from Cinema Paradiso, and Two for the Road), but Spiritual definitely stood out.

Clearly, I'm obsessed.  This scene affected me so much, even on the first showing.  The tenderness, the look on Jack's face as Ennis rides away--it's pure love. I know Heath is amazing, but Jake, in his "supporting role" has moments of brilliance, and this is one of them.  And, the contrast, at the end of the flashback, is devastating.  Yet, it's the same face.  Brilliant.  

I tend to lose it at the "gonna snow tonight for sure" scene, and it's several hankies until the end of the film for me.  

Here is another video in slo-mo, but with the words from the short story.

yes,yes and yes. Jack´s glance at Ennis as he rides off....I have no words. Just so damn pure. Just like Ennis, Jack too wears a mask a lot of the time. But in that moment he is so naked and he´s still young and full of love and hope. Oh Jack...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 04:51:02 pm »
I remember when I saw the movie the very first time, I refused to recognize Jack's disappointed and disillusioned look for what it was; I kept trying to find some trace of hope and love in that sad face...   :-\

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 04:34:08 pm »
Bumping this.

The slo-mo video is still up and available!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 05:45:20 pm »
It's been a while since I last saw it.

Turns out I still love it! Who'd've thought?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre