Author Topic: Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks  (Read 32559 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks
« on: November 19, 2006, 04:10:22 pm »
This will be the thread for appetizers and snacks.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 02:32:30 pm »
No recipe here, but we used to have a family tradition of making popcorn for a snack after we came home from Christmas Eve church. Nice memories. ...  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:01:05 pm »
My best appetizers

Go to Trader Joe's, preferably with no kids in tow.

Cruise the frozen aisle.  Walk slowly, stopping frequently.  Take time to smile at other browsers.  Talk about giving thanks! 

Choose two packages each of three kinds of appetizers (the spanakopita, mini-quiches, everything I've tried is good.)

Take them home and now you are set.

While you are there, stock up on their tomatillo salsa, and get your Tom's of Maine deodorant and toothpaste for much less than anywhere else. 

Eat some chocolate you just bought there, and wash it down with a Crystal Geyser sparkling juice, driving home in the car.

Count your blessings! 

:)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 04:35:50 am by Ellemeno »

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 03:51:44 am »
This is my favorite all time appetizer.

Hot Artichoke Dip

INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish. Blend together the cheese, mayonnaise and whipping cream. Stir in the artichokes, green onions and pimentos. Mix well, and transfer to the prepared baking dish.

Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.

serve with Ritz Vegetable Crackers or Bagle Chips  :D Delicious!
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 03:56:25 am »
Got this one in Trader Joe's yesterday, the samples they handed out were to die for.... SO, I plan to make it for the family Thursday to nibble on during the football game

Holiday Meatballs

Ingredients

1 bag of Trader Joe's Party size Meatballs
1 Jar-18 oz Trader Joe's Cranberry Sauce
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar

Directions

Mix cranberry sauce, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar in skillet.  Heat through while stirring constantly,when sauce begins to bubble add defrosted meatballs and heat until hot.  Serve in chafing dish or mini crock pot with tooth picks.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 03:19:30 pm »
Some spanish Appetizers. The so called Tapas!

Mussels Vinaigrette (Mejillones a la vinagreta)

Ingredients

2 1/2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
Shredded lettuce
2 tbsp minced green onion
2 tbsp minced green pepper
2 tbsp minced red pepper
1 tbsp chopped parsley
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
Dash of red pepper sauce
Salt to taste

Preparation

Steam open the mussels. Put them in a deep pan with the water. Cover the pan and put over a high heat, shaking the pan, until the shells open. Remove from heat and discard any mussels that do not open.

When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the empty shells. (Mussels can be cooked in advance and refrigerated.) Shortly before serving, arrange mussels on a bed of shredded lettuce on a serving platter. In a bowl combine the onion, green and red pepper, parsley, oil, and vinegar. Season with red pepper sauce and salt. Spoon the mixture into the mussels in their shells.

Makes 30 tapas

---------------------

Crisp Spiced potatoes (Patatas Bravas)

Ingredients

3 tablespoons of olive oil
4 large potatoes, peeled, and cut to 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons of paprika
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Chopped parsley, to garnish
1 cup  oil, for frying
3 tablespoon olive oil

Preparation

The brava sauce

In a saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft. Turn off the heat, and add the paprika, Tabasco sauce, and thyme, stirring well. Transfer to a bowl and add the ketchup and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

The potatoes

Sprinkle the potatoes lightly with salt and black pepper. In a large skillet fry the potatoes in 1 cup of oil until cooked through and golden-brown, stirring occasionally. Drain the potatoes on paper towels, check the seasoning, add more salt if necessary, and set it aside.

Mix the potatoes with the sauce inmediately before serving to ensure that the potatos retain their crispness. You can also serve it with the sauce aside, on a separate bowl. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve warm.

---------------------

Spanish Omelette (Tortilla de patatas)

Ingredients

1/2 pint of oil
5 medium potatoes, peeled, sliced and lightly sprinkled with salt
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 eggs
Salt

Preparation

Heat the oil in a skillet and add the potato slices. Try to keep the potato slices separated so they will not stick together. Cook, turning occasionally, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain into a colander, leaving about 3 tablespoons of oil in the skillet.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt. Add the potatoes, and stirr to coat with the egg. Add the egg-coated potatoes to the very hot oil in the skillet, spreading them evenly to completely cover the base of the skillet. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook, shaking the pan frequently, until mixture is half set.

Use a plate to cover the skillet and invert the omelette away from the hand holding the plate (so as not to burn your hand with any escaping oil). Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and slide the omelette back into the skillet on its uncooked side. Cook until completely set. Allow the omelette to cool, and then cut it into wedges.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

----------------------------

Garlic mushrooms (Champiñones al ajillo)

1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons white wine
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the mushrooms over high heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, the white wine and salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the garlic and mushrooms have softened, and the liquid has dried. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve on small platters.

------------------------------------------------------

Garlic Shrimp (Gambas al ajillo)

Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons white whine
Chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley for garnish

Preparation

In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute. Raise the heat to high and add the shrimp, lemon juice and the wine. Stir well, then sauté, stirring briskly, until the shrimp turn pink and curl slightly, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 02:03:47 am »
Here's one I like, partly because it's so easy. Warning: I made it up.

Smoked-salmon pinwheels

A couple of flour tortillas, big ones, I guess you could try the flavored ones but I've always just used plain
Cream cheese
Lemon
Cold-smoked salmon (the kind that's thin, flat and flexible -- like lox -- not the kind that's chunky and flaky, which is hot smoked)
Red onion, finely chopped
Capers, if desired
Fresh dill

Let the tortillas and cream cheese get at or near room temp. Mix cream cheese with lemon juice until it's creamy and spreadable but not outright liquidy -- about the consistency of peanut butter or tub margarine. Throw in some finely grated lemon peel if you like it extra lemony. Spread the tortillas with a thin layer of cream cheese, right to the edges. Lay strips of salmon on top, parallel, with spaces of cream cheese in between. If the salmon is in fairly even strips (perhaps even cut in thinner strips), it will look cool when finished. Leave a margin of space around the edge that has cream cheese but no salmon.

Sprinkle with little snippets of fresh dill, the finely chopped onion, and the capers if you want them. Then roll as tightly as possible, like a wrap, so the salmon strips run the length of the inside of the roll (in other words, don't roll it up perpendicularly to the salmon). Press the cream cheese-spread edge to seal. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or so. When the wraps are pretty firm, take off the plastic and cut into slices, about half to 3/4 inch wide.

Arrange on plate and garnish with sprigs of dill.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:19:59 am »
Here's one I like, partly because it's so easy. Warning: I made it up.

Smoked-salmon pinwheels

A couple of flour tortillas, big ones, I guess you could try the flavored ones but I've always just used plain
Cream cheese
Lemon
Cold-smoked salmon (the kind that's thin, flat and flexible -- like lox -- not the kind that's chunky and flaky, which is hot smoked)
Red onion, finely chopped
Capers, if desired
Fresh dill

Let the tortillas and cream cheese get at or near room temp. Mix cream cheese with lemon juice until it's creamy and spreadable but not outright liquidy -- about the consistency of peanut butter or tub margarine. Throw in some finely grated lemon peel if you like it extra lemony. Spread the tortillas with a thin layer of cream cheese, right to the edges. Lay strips of salmon on top, parallel, with spaces of cream cheese in between. If the salmon is in fairly even strips (perhaps even cut in thinner strips), it will look cool when finished. Leave a margin of space around the edge that has cream cheese but no salmon.

Sprinkle with little snippets of fresh dill, the finely chopped onion, and the capers if you want them. Then roll as tightly as possible, like a wrap, so the salmon strips run the length of the inside of the roll (in other words, don't roll it up perpendicularly to the salmon). Press the cream cheese-spread edge to seal. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or so. When the wraps are pretty firm, take off the plastic and cut into slices, about half to 3/4 inch wide.

Arrange on plate and garnish with sprigs of dill.

Oh man.  I want this NOW.  Lemon, caper, smoked salmon.  Yumbo.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 02:28:26 am »

Oh man.  I want this NOW.  Lemon, caper, smoked salmon.  Yumbo.

Thanks! Yeah, it's fun to think of some good flavor combo and then put it in a new context.

For instance, I recently made this really good pumpkin ravioli with prosciutto and sage. So when I had some friends over for brunch, I put the same flavors into a strata. Like bread pudding, with a savory pumpkin custard, sprinkled with prosciutto, sage and toasted walnuts. I won't post the recipe, because it wasn't THAT great. But it was a fun experiment. (The ravioli dish, however, IS that great.)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 02:40:45 am »
Has anyone here ever tried that powdered eggnog? I tried it this year, but I accidentally mixed it in with milk and it was way too rich. I didn't read the directions. The second time I used water, like it told me too and it tasted like sweet watery powdered milk.

It was terrible.

Have any of you had success with the powdered form? Maybe I should avoid it next year. It really tasted awful. Both times. :P

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:13:50 am »
Thanks! Yeah, it's fun to think of some good flavor combo and then put it in a new context.

For instance, I recently made this really good pumpkin ravioli with prosciutto and sage. So when I had some friends over for brunch, I put the same flavors into a strata. Like bread pudding, with a savory pumpkin custard, sprinkled with prosciutto, sage and toasted walnuts. I won't post the recipe, because it wasn't THAT great. But it was a fun experiment. (The ravioli dish, however, IS that great.)

Wow, K, I didn't realize this gastronomicalititiousness of yours.  Did you actually make the actual ravioli themselves?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 12:15:09 pm »

Wow, K, I didn't realize this gastronomicalititiousness of yours.  Did you actually make the actual ravioli themselves?

No. I bought them from a nice little Italian deli. I'm not THAT gastronomicalicious.

Has anyone here ever tried that powdered eggnog? I tried it this year, but I accidentally mixed it in with milk and it was way too rich. I didn't read the directions. The second time I used water, like it told me too and it tasted like sweet watery powdered milk.

It was terrible.

Have any of you had success with the powdered form? Maybe I should avoid it next year. It really tasted awful. Both times. :P

I've never tried powdered, but one night this year I did try making it from scratch, and IT was pretty bad! I might have done something wrong. I didn't follow a recipe, just went by memory (though unlike in childhood, using Egg Beaters to avoid salmonella). The other thing is, I think to make the really good stuff you have to cook it, and I didn't.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:33:53 pm »
My best appetizers

Go to Trader Joe's, preferably with no kids in tow.

Cruise the frozen aisle.  Walk slowly, stopping frequently.  Take time to smile at other browsers.  Talk about giving thanks! 

Choose two packages each of three kinds of appetizers (the spanakopita, mini-quiches, everything I've tried is good.)

Take them home and now you are set.

While you are there, stock up on their tomatillo salsa, and get your Tom's of Maine deodorant and toothpaste for much less than anywhere else. 

Eat some chocolate you just bought there, and wash it down with a Crystal Geyser sparkling juice, driving home in the car.

Count your blessings! 

:)

Waaaa! No Trader Joes here in the heartland! I may have to make a TJ run to the coast over the holidays! To compensate, I'm trying a new appetizer of red grapes, bulgar wheat, mint and orange dressing on romaine spears.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 11:26:33 pm »
Waaaa! No Trader Joes here in the heartland! I may have to make a TJ run to the coast over the holidays! To compensate, I'm trying a new appetizer of red grapes, bulgar wheat, mint and orange dressing on romaine spears.

Wow.  I'm being reminded of all kinds of things I'd forgotten about previous holiday fare.  I ought to go through and read my own posts to remember.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 12:05:04 pm »
Yes, lately I read my own old posts too to refresh my memory. After getting laid off and having to turn in my computer and phone last February, I lost a big chunk of information, pictures, etc. and it is very reassuring to have it live on here at BetterMost.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 11:10:33 am »

Or you could come visit me! There are two within 10 minutes of here, and a third is a half-hour drive away. Here's a petition asking TJ to locate a store in Denver:

http://www.petitiononline.com/JimTJDEN/petition.html

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 04:48:02 pm »
Our figs are getting ripe!! We have a fig tree that spends most of its time in our sunroom. We put it outside for the summer but it turns out that nights are too cool for fig trees in Colorado, even in the summer. So, back it went into the sunroom and finally the green figs are turning fig color one by one. I celebrated by buying some prociutto and soft cheese, so now we're ready to have a wonderful appetizer!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 08:12:37 pm »
Our figs are getting ripe!! We have a fig tree that spends most of its time in our sunroom. We put it outside for the summer but it turns out that nights are too cool for fig trees in Colorado, even in the summer. So, back it went into the sunroom and finally the green figs are turning fig color one by one. I celebrated by buying some prociutto and soft cheese, so now we're ready to have a wonderful appetizer!!

Yuuuuummmm!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Friendly Granola
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 04:43:01 pm »
I've just finished helping bake, bag, and tag 213 pounds of homemade granola. It is an annual fundraiser for our Meeting at $6.50/bag. I don't think I posted the recipe last year.  This makes a very large tray, so you probably want to quarter it, minimum, or you'll be rotating cookie sheets in and out of your oven all day.

I gave some away last year and had much of the rest atop yogurt.

It also saved my bacon because I was supposed to show up somewhere with a dessert, and I ran out of time.

My friend Colleen had sent me apple pie filling she had canned that was ultra-yummy.  So I spread that out in a casserole dish and added this for topping.  Heated it up and - apple crisp!  People seemed to like it.

If I make this at home, I believe I will vary the nuts some and either use golden raisins or chocolate chips or craisins.  

14 cups rolled oats
2.5 cups cashews
1.5 cups sunflower seeds
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1.25 cups honey
1.5 cups canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups raisins

Mix dry ingredients.

Add wet ingredients and stir well.

Spread loosely on cookie sheet(s).

Bake, turning every 10 minutes, until uniformly brown.  (There's controversy about the temperature - between 350 and 450 degrees Fahreinheit - I believe 450 gives you browner, crunchier granola.)

Cool and add raisins.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:22:14 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 05:15:03 pm »
Sounds delicious, Ms. di Licious!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 05:32:12 pm »
LOL Meryl!  ;D

And I agree, it does sound delicious!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 01:44:19 pm »

It was terrible.

I don't do eggnog, but I am looking forward to trying eggnog and blackberry ice cream at Bonnie Brae Ice Cream with my friends over the holidays. Attention Denver Brokies...meetup forming now!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 01:49:12 pm »
I took this to the office potluck and it was a big hit, until I told them what was in it, then people starting tiptoeing around it.

Celery Victor

Trim 2 Hearts of Celery and cut into 2 inch spears. Be sure to peel the celery to trim any strings. Slice roasted sweet red pepper and fit a slice on top of each celery spear. Add a slice of anchovy on top of each pepper slice. Finish by placing 3 caperberries on each spear. May be spritzed with fresh lemon juice.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 02:40:06 pm »
I took this to the office potluck and it was a big hit, until I told them what was in it, then people starting tiptoeing around it.

Celery Victor

Trim 2 Hearts of Celery and cut into 2 inch spears. Be sure to peel the celery to trim any strings. Slice roasted sweet red pepper and fit a slice on top of each celery spear. Add a slice of anchovy on top of each pepper slice. Finish by placing 3 caperberries on each spear. May be spritzed with fresh lemon juice.

I'm guessing the anchovies turned them off?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »
I will have to peruse this thread closely over the weekend. I need something for a potluck at work on Tuesday.

And for the record, Lee, I think your dish sounds yummy!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 05:09:50 pm »
This is my favorite all time appetizer.

Hot Artichoke Dip

INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish. Blend together the cheese, mayonnaise and whipping cream. Stir in the artichokes, green onions and pimentos. Mix well, and transfer to the prepared baking dish.

Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.

serve with Ritz Vegetable Crackers or Bagle Chips  :D Delicious!

This one (with some additions I found online) is getting tested on the work crowd at lunch tomorrow; assuming I don't flub it, it will be joining me Christmas Eve after Meeting too.

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 09:52:03 pm »
That stuff is fattening as hell but damned hard to stop eating!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 10:06:56 pm »
Yep and yep :)

The 'mods' I read about involve adding finely chopped red or green peppers or pimentos to make it look seasonal. So, hey - fiber!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:04:59 pm by Lynne di Licious »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 01:55:36 am »
I´ve never had egg nodd, so that´s my "big plan" for Christmas. Doesn´t seem too difficult to make either

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 02:41:04 am »
I don't do eggnog, but I am looking forward to trying eggnog and blackberry ice cream at Bonnie Brae Ice Cream with my friends over the holidays. Attention Denver Brokies...meetup forming now!

It's really better if you go ahead and get it in the pre-made carton form  - at the grocery. Sprinkle a little nutmeg in it and a splash of whiskey and you're good to go! ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 10:34:39 am »
It's really better if you go ahead and get it in the pre-made carton form  - at the grocery. Sprinkle a little nutmeg in it and a splash of whiskey and you're good to go! ;)

That's the way I like it, David! :)  Or just right out of the carton. Usually have one carton (quart) per Christmas. It's sooooo rich; I can't drink a lot of it.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 11:23:51 am »
This is my favorite addition to eggnog  -- I get it for birthdays or Valentine's day  once in awhile:

Meletti is an Italian chocolate liqueur that's basically alcoholic chocolate syrup; great with eggnog or hot chocolate.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 12:22:55 pm »
Kalyn's Kitchen features five appetizers here: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-favorites-five-favorite.html

My favorite is the white bean and artichoke dip.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 11:46:10 am »

Or brandy.  ;D

The egg nog and ice cream sounds pretty good!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Friendly Granola
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 10:25:24 am »
This was my Saturday morning fun...this year was 217 bags for $7.00/bag - the prices of the ingredients increased somewhat, from what they say.

I've just finished helping bake, bag, and tag 213 pounds of homemade granola. It is an annual fundraiser for our Meeting at $6.50/bag. I don't think I posted the recipe last year.  This makes a very large tray, so you probably want to quarter it, minimum, or you'll be rotating cookie sheets in and out of your oven all day.

I gave some away last year and had much of the rest atop yogurt.

It also saved my bacon because I was supposed to show up somewhere with a dessert, and I ran out of time.

My friend Colleen had sent me apple pie filling she had canned that was ultra-yummy.  So I spread that out in a casserole dish and added this for topping.  Heated it up and - apple crisp!  People seemed to like it.

If I make this at home, I believe I will vary the nuts some and either use golden raisins or chocolate chips or craisins.  

14 cups rolled oats
2.5 cups cashews
1.5 cups sunflower seeds
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1.25 cups honey
1.5 cups canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups raisins

Mix dry ingredients.

Add wet ingredients and stir well.

Spread loosely on cookie sheet(s).

Bake, turning every 10 minutes, until uniformly brown.  (There's controversy about the temperature - between 350 and 450 degrees Fahrenheit - I believe 450 gives you browner, crunchier granola.)

Cool and add raisins.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 12:36:33 pm »
Gives me an idea for a drag name: Granola Barr.  ;D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 01:36:50 pm »
Gives me an idea for a drag name: Granola Barr.  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2011, 02:18:04 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Granola Barr: You heard it first from me!  ;D

Offline Andreu

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 12:34:28 am »
I just want to say one thing about this thread that is superb. It is good to learn so many recipes and i learned many new recipe ideas so i would like to thank everyone for sharing your recipe ideas. Keep sharing new kind of recipes.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 12:44:53 pm »
I'm getting the chestnuts ready to roast tomorrow. In addition to scoring them so they won't explode in a fire, I heard somewhere that they should be soaked overnight. But now, I'm wondering if that's a good idea. These chestnuts look pretty fresh. Alas, I learned too late this advice about selecting chestnuts:

"“Perhaps the problem with incineration is old nuts from the store. Fresh nuts are heavier and should bounce like a tennis ball. Old nuts are dried up and lighter. Old nuts can't take the heat so they end up getting cremated. It's always preferable to buy young nuts, even if it means that you have to bounce your nuts in the supermarket.”

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 03:43:23 pm »
I'm getting the chestnuts ready to roast tomorrow. In addition to scoring them so they won't explode in a fire, I heard somewhere that they should be soaked overnight. But now, I'm wondering if that's a good idea. These chestnuts look pretty fresh. Alas, I learned too late this advice about selecting chestnuts:

"“Perhaps the problem with incineration is old nuts from the store. Fresh nuts are heavier and should bounce like a tennis ball. Old nuts are dried up and lighter. Old nuts can't take the heat so they end up getting cremated. It's always preferable to buy young nuts, even if it means that you have to bounce your nuts in the supermarket.”

:laugh:  :laugh:

I certainly wouldn't mind witnessing somebody (preferably good looking men) bouncing their nuts in the supermarket!  8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:52 pm »
I'm enjoying an appetizer tonight that I didn't have a chance to make over Thanksgiving. On wheat crackers, place a slice of guayaba (quince paste) and then a slice of campasino (Mexican cow's milk cheese). Top with a piece of fresh basil. This appetizer looks great, doesn't cost much, and is simplicity itself!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 12:40:49 am »
Buffalo Chicken Crescent Puffs

A spicy chicken and cheese filling mixture is baked into flaky Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent rounds in this easy appetizer that will disappear fast!

prep time 25 min   total time 1 hr 10 min  ingredients 8   servings 32

Ingredients

2   oz cream cheese (from two 8-oz packages), softened   
2   tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce or other red pepper sauce   
1/3   cup crumbled blue cheese (1 1/2 oz)   
1/4   cup finely chopped celery  (optional)
1   cup finely chopped cooked chicken breast   
2   cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury™ Place ’N Bake® refrigerated crescent rounds (16 rounds) or 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent dinner rolls   
1/3   cup unsalted or salted butter, melted   
1   cup Progresso™ Panko Bread Crumbs

Step 1 of 3

Line cookie sheet with sides with waxed paper or cooking parchment paper. In medium bowl, mix cream cheese and pepper sauce. Stir in blue cheese and celery. Stir in chicken until well blended. Shape mixture by tablespoonfuls into 32 (1 1/2-inch) balls; place on cookie sheet. Refrigerate 20 minutes.

Step 2 of 3

Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. If using crescent rounds, remove from package, but do not separate rounds. If using crescent rolls, remove from package, but do not unroll. Using serrated knife, cut each roll evenly into 16 rounds; carefully separate rounds. Press each round to 3 inches in diameter. Place chilled chicken mixture ball on center of each dough round; shape dough around ball to cover completely.

Step 3 of 3

In shallow dish, place melted butter. In another shallow dish, place bread crumbs. Dip dough balls into butter, then roll in bread crumbs. Place 2 inches apart on large ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 17 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Serve warm.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2023, 07:59:39 pm »
Serious asked about munches you can make quickly and easily with comestibles from Trader Joes. There are quite a few references to TJs on this thread.

One idea for the holidays is to spread their mini-toasts or bruschetta with asiago cheese spread and then top with tapenade (chopped olives) and Italian parsley. I also like to stuff their mini-bell peppers with gorgonzola mixed with sweet onion spread. Here's another appetizer I have made recently: fig and blue cheese savories. Instead of cooking and mashing dried figs, just pick up a jar of fig jam from TJs. Instead of rolling out and cutting rounds of blue cheese dough, I roll the dough into 1-inch balls in my hands and then press it into mini-muffin cups.

More ideas to come.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2023, 04:30:18 pm »
One idea for the holidays is to spread their mini-toasts or bruschetta with asiago cheese spread and then top with tapenade (chopped olives) and Italian parsley. I also like to stuff their mini-bell peppers with gorgonzola mixed with sweet onion spread. Here's another appetizer I have made recently: fig and blue cheese savories. Instead of cooking and mashing dried figs, just pick up a jar of fig jam from TJs. Instead of rolling out and cutting rounds of blue cheese dough, I roll the dough into 1-inch balls in my hands and then press it into mini-muffin cups.

I love the stuffed mini-bell idea! The other sounds good, too, although I'd probably cut rounds.

Somewhere I just saw a handy list of different cheeses paired with different jams. You could mix and match, of course, but the combinations on the list sounded particularly delicious. But now I can't remember where I saw (or saved?) the list. It's not a FB post as far as I can tell, it's not a phone search page. I have all these places to store things and keep records and make reminders, but then when I need to find them I can't remember which places I used.

I just bought mango habanero (that seems like it needs a tilde, but Google says not) flavored jam to put in the little gift baskets I'm assembling for my sons.

There are also spicy chocolate truffles -- they like hot stuff -- and peanut butter truffles, two of each in a little box. But I kind of froze in the store because for each flavor I had to pick dark or milk chocolate and I'm not sure which they prefer at this point (used to always be milk, but they're older with more sophisticated palates), so I got one of each. So two PB and two spicy apiece. Now I'm kicking myself because there were many more flavors and I should have just guessed one or the other and gone with it. I might go back to the chocolate shop (also to get little boxes for my neighbors).

The centerpiece of the gift baskets are coffee mugs I had made with photos I'd taken of trees in the park out back of my building, many at sunset. Two mugs for each son (and their respective girlfriends). Of course I managed to pick one of the same photos on both cups (they are rows of three) even though I had plenty to choose from, so that's bugging me now, too!

But I guess there are more serious problems in the world to dwell on.

I'm also including little three-packs of shooter-size Baileys, little boxes holding a string of battery-powered led lights that can be used for easy decorating, and whatever else I think of. Ideas are welcome!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2023, 10:57:27 am »
Those gift baskets sound great! You are lucky your boys like food gifts. That makes it easier to shop for them.

This is the latest cranberry appetizer I've made and it was a big hit with crackers and asiago cheese spread:

Cranberry Salsa: sack of raw cranberries, juice of a lime, sugar to taste, a jalape?o, cilantro, green onion, lastly fold in pomegranate. Good with soft cheese and crackers.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2023, 09:02:25 pm »
Yum! The cranberry appetizer sounds good.

Yeah, my sons pretty much ONLY like food gifts. Occasionally I'll try a book, maybe a small kitchen appliance. I struck gold once with a toiletries bag from a posh men's store. But they've made clear for years that anything I could afford to buy them they probably wouldn't like. At one point when I was underemployed I got a job at Macy's so I could get the employee discount for Christmas, and everyone got sweaters. Ralph Lauren! But the next year they informed me that Macy's doesn't sell anything they would want.  :laugh:

I've added the peppers with gorgonzola and sweet onions to my appetizer plans. Got the two fillings yesterday but still have to visit TJ's.

The plan is to bring that alongside my traditional smoked salmon rollups that I see I mentioned here in 2008!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2023, 11:40:01 am »
Bettermost has served to show us what creatures of habit we are. More than once I've thought to post something and then I see that I already posted it several years ago!

I'm in a similar boat with gift giving. My son is actually an apparel designer. He's also a weird size--tall with wide shoulders and a small waist. But I think I've found something he'll like. Fortunately, he's very into golf and I got him a gift certificate to one of these simulator bars that are cropping  up all over. The food and drink are real but the golf is simulated, and you can play practically any course in the world!

Most food gifts are out also. His wife is something of a nutritionist and is a marathoner so my concoctions usually have something verboten. But I did drop off some sushi for him last week that was a hit. They are minimalists, a very difficult group to buy for.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2023, 04:30:41 pm »
I also like to stuff their mini-bell peppers with gorgonzola mixed with sweet onion spread.

Lee, are the mini bells you're talking about the shape of regular bells but small? And how small -- like two bites worth?

I ask because I googled them and the only ones that came up are shaped like jalape?os.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2023, 01:06:39 pm »
I looked at the nearby TJ's last night and the smallest bells they had were only slightly smaller than average. They'd still take at least four or five bites to eat, which doesn't seem ideal for something with creamy onion/cheese open filling.

There's a bigger TJ's not far away, if there's any hope they'll have something smaller there ...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2023, 02:06:51 pm »
Here they are. They're about the size of a jalapeno and, when split in half lengthwise, are about two bites each. Maybe one bite for men.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2023, 04:46:18 pm »
Thank you, Lee! I was beginning to suspect it was those, because they did have those at my TJ's and when I called a larger TJ's and asked, they described those.

I was hoping for the other shape, as they seemed easier to fill (I used to make stuffed peppadews). What did you use to put the filling in the pepper halves? Pastry bag? Plastic bag? Melon baller? Or just a regular knife or spoon?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2023, 08:20:32 pm »
I used an icing spreader. It looks like the love child of a knife and a spatula. The blade is very flexible to push the filling in and then level it off neatly.