Our BetterMost Community > The Holiday Forum

Recipes - Cookies, Pies, Cakes, and Other Sweets

(1/42) > >>

Phillip Dampier:
This thread will cover dessert items and sweets.

Lynne:
Lynne's Favorite Pumpkin Pie (Adapted from Molly Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook)
3 cups cooked, pureed pumpkin, squash, or sweet potatoes (...you can sub 29oz can of puree)
3 tbs white sugar
3 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs molasses
0.5 tsp cloves or allspice
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp powdered ginger
0.5 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs
1.5 cups evaporated milk (lowfat OK, but I use sweetened condensed - makes it much richer)

1 unbaked 9" pie crust (you can make this from scratch, but I'm too lazy - usually get refrigerated Pillsbury)

1) Preheat oven to 375 deg F
2) Place puree in a medium mixing bowl; add other ingredients and beat until smooth.
3) Spread into pie crust and bake at 375 10 minutes; reduce temperature to 350 and bake 40 additional minutes or until the pie is firm in the center when shaken lightly.
4) Cool to at least room temperature before serving.

Optional topping:
whipped cream w/a little sugar and rum
whipped cream w/a little sugar and vanilla extract
real vanilla bean ice cream

**Note - it's a pain to cook fresh pumpkin.  You have to cut it, clean out the inside pulp, chop it into manageable-sized wedges, bake it until the pumpkin is soft, then scrape the pumpkin off the shell, then puree it all.  It makes a giant mess.  But it is completely worth the trouble compared to the canned stuff.  Of course, if you prefer sweet potatoes, it becomes a much easier and less messy venture.  ::)

MaineWriter:
At the Boston Brokie Get Together, I made this for the cherry cake bake off. For those of us who are not bakers, it couldn't be much easier. Enjoy!

THIRD PRIZE WINNER BOSTON BROKIES GET TOGETHER CHERRY CAKE

1 pkg yellow cake mix (pudding type)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling

Place cake mix, sour cream, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Blend on low speed for one minute. Stop, scrape the sides and then blend on medium speed for 2 minutes more. Batter should look well blended.

Spread batter in a greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan. Spoon cherry pie filling over the top, spreading evenly, then swirl in just enough to make a marbled effect.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes.

Cool and serve to a passel of hungry cowgirls and cowboys.

Enjoy!

Phillip Dampier:

--- Quote from: Lynne on November 20, 2006, 04:45:49 am ---Lynne's Favorite Pumpkin Pie (Adapted from Molly Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook)
--- End quote ---

The Moosewood is a restaurant in Ithaca, NY which John and I have eaten at a few times, most recently this past summer.  They've toned down on the militant "paper is murder of trees" stance they used to have, but they are still very much about their high quality vegetarian foods, which offer very complex flavors.  I had an Indian Harvest stew which was amazingly good last time I ate there.

Ellemeno:
I love Moosewood cookbooks, and one day dream of going to the restaurant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version