Author Topic: Holiday Images - Indoors  (Read 23717 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Holiday Images - Indoors
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 03:16:03 pm »
Geri, I love your yellow wall.  :)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 07:05:35 pm »
Me too, Clarissa!  Of course if you go up a few posts you'll see I have gold walls too, in my entry.  That seems to have been a big favorite in English country houses for entries and sitting rooms, which is one reason I picked it.

Geri, that's a beautiful idea about the blue lights and their meaning.  I love blue.  When I put colored mini lights on the outdoor trees near my front door, as I did this year, I like to use a base layer of blue lights underneath the mixed colors.  For several reasons - blue doesn't carry as far as red or yellow so you need more of it, but also it adds depth and mystery to the other colors.  And other years, I have done blue lights only on the same trees. It has a wonderful icy glow when snow falls on the trees, and it makes the light from the front hall look the more warm and inviting.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 07:09:53 pm by Andrew »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 01:00:34 pm »
Here is a lighter picture of the view from the dining room, altho you can't see the snow level as well, but it is now up above sill level. I'm starting to feel like I'm living in a scene from Dr. Zhivago!! And there's another blizzard coming, EDelMar tells me. 

The walls are by Ralph Lauren. My husband and I had to watch a training video before we could paint the walls! First you put on a base coat with a special Ralph Lauren roller. Then, while the base coat is wet, you stipple on the top coat with a special Ralph Lauren stippler. Then, you have to "distress" the paint with a special Ralph Lauren rag. Finally, you apply a lighter paint in spots. It looks beautiful tho, and is a very pleasant place to have dinner and entertain!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2006, 04:47:22 pm »

Lee, your dining room looks Mediterranean to me (despite the snow that still can be seen at the right window). Very warm and inviting, with the reddish-brown, earthy colours.
You fixed it up real nice  :).

Offline Andrew

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2006, 05:50:18 pm »
That's also a wonderful sun room you posted on the previous page.  The open-branched tree allies very well with the muntins between the window panes - a similar spare, bright effect.  I also like the fact that Jeff quoted your picture before you had time to substitute a less blurry one - so we also get to see the lights both ways!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:00:01 pm by Andrew »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 05:58:12 pm »
Thank you, Andrew. You notice everything! Thanks also, Geri. Our houses make a very nice town and country montage.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 01:57:25 am by Front-Ranger »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2006, 06:03:38 pm »
We're supposed to guard the muntins, not eat 'em.

;)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2006, 07:48:10 pm »
That was paneful, Clarissa!

OK, one last outdoor-indoor image at my place.  I guess I don't want Christmas to end.

injest

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2006, 08:45:18 pm »
Andrew...that looks so warm and inviting...full of good will and peace...just beautiful...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2006, 11:52:20 pm »
har, har, Andrew, Geri,  and Clarissa!! This is such a homey, beautiful site to visit, thanks to all of you! I am definitely going to decorate my tree with blue lights next year!

I'm reminded of when I was young. One of the things I liked to do most during the holidays was to lie under the Christmas tree and look up. We had the old-fashioned large Christmas tree lights that blinked. If you looked up, you would see a constantly changing pattern of shadows of tree branches on the ceiling. I loved to just watch it. And the ceiling was a pure white color, textured like the landscape of a snow-covered lawn. I always loved to imagine what it would be like if I lived upside down and the ceiling was my floor. How well-ordered, simple, and serene my life would be without furniture or the other clutter of life.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 01:58:10 am by Front-Ranger »