Author Topic: Life at the Lazy L  (Read 74366 times)

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Our friend MaineWriter: Read her stuff!
Life at the Lazy L
« on: November 20, 2006, 07:52:59 am »
Hey all,

Ennis and I are excited about this holiday forum. Christmas is a special time at the LazyL and we always do it in a big way. Ever since my mama came to visit us for our first Christmas together in 1976, we've been hooked on the holiday.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to share Christmas at the LazyL with all of you...and you can share with us. I'll be posting updates about what we're doing...maybe some pictures. You can do the same. Maybe send Christmas greetings, pictures, recipes, gift ideas? Whatever, I think we can have fun.

Take good care, everyone. I look forward to hearing from you!

Jack
LazyL Farm
Quanah, TX
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:00:46 am by LazyLJack »
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Christmas at the LazyL
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 08:01:50 am »
Oh, I have a Christmas wish, if anyone wants to pass it on to Ennis (hint, hint)...this year the 75th anniversary edition of the Joy of Cooking comes out. Wow! I am still using the same old one that was in the house when we moved in...I think it was publshed just after World War II (1946). 

If you look at this picture, mine is the third one up from the bottom.

I really think I deserve a new one, don't you? I just realized that my cookbook is practically as old as me!

Jack
LazyL Farm
Quanah, TX

Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:29:39 pm »
Hello Jack!  :D

Greetings from Alberta, Canada!
It is absolutely lovely to see you here!
I have a Joy of Cooking cookbook meself, it is not the latest edition but it is not as old as yours either.  ;)
Can you convince Ennis to come by here and post a message sometime?
I know he doesn't like hanging out on the internet much, but could you try to convince him to come leave a message here?
pleeeeeeeeease?  ;D

I am looking forward to your updates and pictures!  Love to Ennis.

~M

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 02:22:54 pm »
I just have one question - when did you learn to cook, Jack?  I thought you couldn't cook worth a damn but were pretty good with a can opener (although, I must admit, I always thought you were saying that in a completely tongue-in-cheek manner, so to speak, and that your potato-peeling technique is *way* too polished for someone who doesn't understand it at all).

OK, two questions.  Do you like pecan pie?
No more beans!

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 03:27:25 pm »
I just have one question - when did you learn to cook, Jack?  I thought you couldn't cook worth a damn but were pretty good with a can opener (although, I must admit, I always thought you were saying that in a completely tongue-in-cheek manner, so to speak, and that your potato-peeling technique is *way* too polished for someone who doesn't understand it at all).

OK, two questions.  Do you like pecan pie?

I got serious about learing to cook in the summer of 1976 when Ennis and I ranched up together at the LazyL. That old copy of the Joy of Cooking was my bible that summer. Most everything I tried came out great except for the infamous Crab Mongol. (I'll bet you dollars to donuts that that recipe is not in the new cookbook!).

That first Christmas, sort of as a joke, Ennis gave me a copy of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook . It has turned into a tradition and every year he gives me a new cookbook. After 30 years, I have quite a collection. One of my most prized cookbooks is an autographed copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, signed by Julia Child, herself! Of course, even though I have the book, I have not mastered the art of French cooking...in fact, I would say I am a miserable failure. Although I can make a quick and easy simple cheese souffle.

As for pecan pie, of course I like it! Is there someone on this planet who doesn't?

Jack
LazyL Farm
Quanah, TX
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 03:40:10 pm »
Well, my husband for one does not like it.  Other than that, I can't think of anyone who's ever actually had a decent one who doesn't.  Since I'm making him a chocolate cream pie this year, I'd be honored to make my other two favorite men my signature Southern bourbon pecan pie.

I like to make mine with Southern Comfort - it's a bit of a Thanksgiving tradition.  But if you'd prefer a different brand, let me know.  I aims to please.  And since I like you so much, I'll slip a note to Ennis with it saying that a little birdie told me Jack would love a 75th Anniversary edition of Joy of Cooking this year.
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:42:45 pm »
And one more thing - it's so funny you mention The Fannie Farmer Cookbook (and that Ennis bought it for you as a joke).  I learned to cook on that sucker - it was the only one we had in our house when I was a kid, so like the Joy of Cooking you found, I took to it like white to rice.
No more beans!

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 07:56:40 pm »
Hello Jack!  :D

Greetings from Alberta, Canada!

I am looking forward to your updates and pictures!  Love to Ennis.

~M

Lucise,

Ennis says love to you too. I'll try to get him to post. He's kinda shy about posting, although we all know he loves surfing the Internet.

Jack
LazyL Farm
Quanah, TX
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 07:58:28 pm »
Well, my husband for one does not like it.  Other than that, I can't think of anyone who's ever actually had a decent one who doesn't.  Since I'm making him a chocolate cream pie this year, I'd be honored to make my other two favorite men my signature Southern bourbon pecan pie.

I like to make mine with Southern Comfort - it's a bit of a Thanksgiving tradition.  But if you'd prefer a different brand, let me know.  I aims to please.  And since I like you so much, I'll slip a note to Ennis with it saying that a little birdie told me Jack would love a 75th Anniversary edition of Joy of Cooking this year.

Darlin,

You want ta send us a pecan pie, I ain't complain'. One less thing for me ta worry about. Although you may need to send via our friend MaineWriter...mail delivery is sorta unreliable in this part a Texas but MaineWriter is planning to drop in for a visit.  ;)

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 08:07:31 pm »
And one more thing - it's so funny you mention The Fannie Farmer Cookbook (and that Ennis bought it for you as a joke).  I learned to cook on that sucker - it was the only one we had in our house when I was a kid, so like the Joy of Cooking you found, I took to it like white to rice.

Well, now that's a funny story.

Ennis got the idea to buy me a new cookbook that first Christmas--sorta as a joke since I'd be using the Joy of Cooking like my bible, as I said. He told me that he went into the bookstore thinking he'd buy a book, that's it. Well, that was the first time he ever set foot in the cookbook section of a bookstore and needless to say, he couldn't believe his eyes! He had no frigging clue what book to buy and high tailed it out a that store like a cat being chased by a hound dog.

He called our friend Jeanie Campbell and she was the one who suggested Fannie Farmer. Ennis went back to the store, found the book, and bought it...all the while thinking this was going to a be a great joke gift.

The joke was on him because like you, that book was a godsend. There's stuff in there that isn't in the Joy of Cooking and vice versa. Even though Ennis has given me dozens of cookbooks since then, this is still the one that is the most special to me and I use it often.

Hugs to you,

Jack

LazyL Farm
Quanah, TX
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 08:41:06 pm »

I like to make mine with Southern Comfort -

<hiccup!>So do<hiccup!>...I!   
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 09:19:10 pm »
Because I mentioned it, I thought I'd share:

SUPER SIMPLE SOUFFLE

No beating of egg whites for me! This is easy and it puffs up and looks like a real souffle. Think of it, me a cowboy from Lightning Flat, cooking French!

2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups (4 oz) shredded cheese. Gruyere is best, but you can substitute Swiss or Cheddar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
chopped parsley, pepper, nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Lightly grease a 4 cup oval gratin dish. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook until it begins to sizzle, then whisk in the milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. When it is thickened (won't take long), remove from heat and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in the grated cheese, eggs, and parsley. Pour into the gratin dish. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the souffle is puffed and browned.

This serves me and Ennis just fine, but some folks might stretch it to three servings.

You can add cooked spinach, chopped and drained with the cheese and eggs if you want to make a spinach souffle.

Betcha never guessed that Jack Twist would know how to cook a souffle! Well, you guessed wrong!

Enjoy...hugs to all,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 07:06:36 pm »
Hey Jack, just wanted to pop in and wish you and all at the Lazy L a Happy Thanksgiving. We don't have this holiday in the UK, but I was in the US once at this time (San Fran actually) and had a ball. The rest of the trip was a blast too.

So, what are you getting for Ennis? You can tell us, we won't let it slip  ;)

Karen (who has to go to work tomorrow to a very boring 4 hour meeting instead of indulging in yummy food and too much wine).

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 07:47:36 pm »
Because I mentioned it, I thought I'd share:

SUPER SIMPLE SOUFFLE

Enjoy...hugs to all,

Jack

Hey Jack!

Our Canadian Thanksgiving was over a month ago .. I wish I had the US Thanksgiving holiday off as well!   8)

Thank you for that souffle recipe!  Can't wait to try it!

Hugs to Ennis (who I can only dream will leave a message here for us one of these days..  :D )

Thanks to you and Ennis for being such a HUGE part of our lives!  MUAH!

~Lucise

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 03:25:13 pm »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to drop in an give you all a Thanksgiving update.

Ennis and I had a quiet day together yesterday. Since it was just the two of us, I roasted a chicken, instead of a turkey. Truth be told, we both like chicken better than turkey! Billy and Scott came over late in the day for coffee and dessert. They both seem very happy and Ennis and I are happy for them. Billy told me, privately, that things are still touchy with his dad, but the fact that Scott joined them for Thanksgiving shows that he is coming around. Scott's family, on the other hand, is not as accepting, and that seems to be weighing heavily on both of them.

We had our family Thanksgiving two weeks ago, up in Wyoming. As we usually do, Ennis and I had a week of hunting, then wrapped up the week at Cecelia's house. Junior and her family came up from Laramie, and all of Cecelia's and Lewis's children and grandchildren were there, so it was quite a crowd. KE was there. He is living with Cecelia and Lewis, now, and his bungalow is for sale. He is very weak but he is a tough old nut and hanging in there. Hospice is coming to the house and his pain and other symptoms are in control, so we are thankful for that.

Today a package arrived from LL Bean in Freeport, Maine. Jenny always sends us a Christmas wreath and we are glad she does because frankly, the Christmas wreaths they sell around here are pretty scrawny looking. Kelly is doing well--still pregnant with a month to go. They know it's a boy and have decided to name him Christian, whether he is born on Christmas or not!

I am going to go check out the leftovers thread to see if I can come up with new ideas for our chicken...or maybe I'll just make that old standby: Chicken a la King.

Take good care, everybody.

Here is a picture of the wreath:

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 08:50:35 pm »
Hey, Jack,

So I got to thinkin' while I was outta town over this long holiday weekend. You got yourself a favorite chili recipe?

Many thanks, friend.

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 09:04:11 am »
Jeff, my friend...

My chili is still the basic one found in my old Joy of Cooking which I have embellished over the years. Nothing real fancy but Ennis likes it and I do too. We both like our chili with beans, lot of folks don't, so of course, you could leave them out.

JACK'S SIGNATURE CHILI CON CARNE

1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
1 lb ground beef (use very lean and you won't need to drain off the fat)
1 can (14 oz) chopped tomatoes (you can you "Mexican style" if you want)
1 can (14 oz) dark red kidney beans
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
2 tsps to 2 Tbsp chili powder

Brown the onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add the ground beef and brown. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer one hour or more, adjusting the chili powder as needed.

Serve on white rice or spaghetti (Cincinnati style!) garnished with onions, cheese, chopped tomatoes, and chopped avocado.

In a pinch, I have been know to use McCormick's Chili-O mix. (Don't tell Ennis!)

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 11:02:25 pm »
Many thanks, Jack! I prefer my chili with beans, too.  ;)

Serve on white rice or spaghetti (Cincinnati style!) garnished with onions, cheese, chopped tomatoes, and chopped avocado.

Now, ain't that inner-estin'? Never heard it referred to as "Cincinnati style," but my mother used to serve chili with spaghetti (she'd cook the spaghetti and then mix it into the chili)--claimed she learned that from a neighbor, who was a Girl Scout leader. Of course, my mother, being a Pennsylvania German cook, her idea of seasoning chili was to wave the can of chili powder over the frying pan of chili.  ;)

I like to eat my chili over rice, though I usually try to use a long-grain and wild rice mixture, or brown rice. It's better for you--especially the brown rice. You oughta try that on Ennis some day.  ;)

You serve it with a side of corn bread? Makes for good eatin'!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 08:57:01 am »
Corn bread is a definite side, and I like this recipe:

RICH CORN CAKE

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs, well beaten
4 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat over to 425 degrees. Butter a 9 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Combine the dry ingredients (cornmeal through salt) and mix well. Quickly add the remaining ingredients (sour cream through melted butter). Stir just to mix. Spoon into pan and bake for 20 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

You can also cook in a muffin tin; will make 1 dozen corn muffins. If you have a cast iron cornstick pan, this batter will work in that too.

ENJOY!

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 10:07:15 am »
Friend, that corn bread sounds real good. Need to try that some day. Thanks!  :D

"Corn stick pan"? You mean one of those little baking pans that'll mold something to look like little ears of corn? So that's what they call those things?

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 11:22:21 am »
Well, it's what I call em...

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Scott6373

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 03:37:53 pm »
Oh Jack...I just love you...does Ennis know how lucky he is?

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 09:01:59 am »
Oh Jack...I just love you...does Ennis know how lucky he is?

Does Ennis know how lucky he is? I think so. I certainly know how lucky I am!

There is a state park (Copper Breaks) that abuts our property. It's nice because we know it will never be developed and really keeps things nice and rural around here, which we like. We have the concession to do trail rides in the park and have for years. They don't have the staff to keep horses and since we are right next door, it seemed like a no-brainer. Easy work, good money, and Ennis and me get to go for nice long rides several times a week.

This time of year, not too much interest in trail riding, though. A few years ago, we hit on the idea to do hay rides through the park. We bought an old wagon and fixed it up, painted it green, and then we decorate it for Christmas. We take people riding and they sing Christmas carols. Corny as hell but if it's what people want to do, I ain't complaining. The word has gotten out and we have whole families that will book up months in advance--and come back year after year. For the families that we know well, we invite them back to the farm for hot chocolate and cookies.

This is the wagon:

And I suppose you'll want a cookie recipe, too? I'll post that in my next message.

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 09:08:56 am »
LAZY L SNICKERDOODLES

Easy as hell and fun to make with kids, because they like to roll them in the cinnamon.

1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Mix together and set aside.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour (I like King Arthur)
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 deg. In large bowl, mix together the sugar, shortening, butter or margarine, and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Roll in sugar mixture to coat. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.

Makes 4 dozen.

Enjoy!

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 07:00:10 pm »
LAZY L SNICKERDOODLES

Tell you what, friend Jack, I didn't think anyone west of Pennsylvania even knew what a snickerdoodle was! They sound real good!

Jeff

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:33 pm »
Dear Jack,

It's so lovely to read all your news and to hear that you and Ennis are happy and well. I guess I'm just an old softy and I'm certainly not proud to admit that I'm sitting here at work with tears running down my face. They're tears of joy. I'm just so happy for you two wonderful fellas. You went through so much suffering and angst in the early years and it's so good to hear how well you're both doing now.

Give Ennis my love. And to you, too.

I love you both.

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 09:35:30 am »
Ennis and I had a quiet day together yesterday. Since it was just the two of us, I roasted a chicken, instead of a turkey. Truth be told, we both like chicken better than turkey!

Jack,

Have you ever roasted a goose? I used to think it was greasy, and then someone taught me the proper way to roast it.  A  rotisserie if you have that, or if you don't, put some kind of rack, like one of those cooling racks for cakes, in the roasting pan and put the goose on top of that. Use the baster to make sure it isn't sitting in its own grease, and poke the skin with a fork several times before roasting. Very tasty! and not at all greasy.

Here's an easy recipe using leftover chicken or turkey. If you want a recipe for a special dessert, check out the Kansas City Plum Pudding over at our recipe collection!

Skillet Chicken (or Turkey) and Rice Dinner

chopped cooked chicken or turkey
2 carrots, chopped or julienned very fine
1 green pepper, chopped (can get these packaged and frozen too)
1 onion, chopped fine
teriyaki sauce or soy sauce
ground ginger, about 1/2 tsp
oil or margarine
1 package long grain/wild rice mix
3/4 cup rice
1-1/2 cup water
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp fresh or dried rosemary

Marinate the cooked poultry in teriyaki or soy sauce at least one hour. Remove and discard the sauce.
Saute chopped carrot in a little oil in a  nonstick pan, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, onion and pepper and saute another 3 or 4 minutes. While cooking, sprinkle with the ginger and more teriyaki or soy sauce to taste.
Then add the water, rice, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary; cover and cook over medium heat about 15 minutes.
Add the long grain/wild rice mix, including the seasoning pack and the amount of water indicated on the package. Cover and cook about 20-25 minutes.

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 10:11:27 am »
Hey Jack, welcome to Bettermost! Do you think you will ever be able to convince Ennis to take a trip to Europe for Christmas? You won't have any problems finding places to stay!

:-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 10:59:50 am »
Jack and Ennis,

This doesn't have anything to do with Christmas, but I am so excited!

Marge_Innavera wrote a great article about "Tom of Finland" in The Daily Sheet at davecullen.com:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=18557.msg635353#msg635353

She mentions A Love Born From Steel and how you guys discovered Hal's old collection of Physique Pictoral magazines. The article has pictures, too!

If you want to re-read that particular chapter, the link is here:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/5121.html

Enjoy!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 11:04:12 am »
Dear Jack,

It's so lovely to read all your news and to hear that you and Ennis are happy and well. I guess I'm just an old softy and I'm certainly not proud to admit that I'm sitting here at work with tears running down my face. They're tears of joy. I'm just so happy for you two wonderful fellas. You went through so much suffering and angst in the early years and it's so good to hear how well you're both doing now.

Give Ennis my love. And to you, too.

I love you both.

Kerry

And we love you too, Kerry. Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

I saw you posted a sonnet over on the fanfic board. That was really nice and you're right, it does capture some of the memories and feelings of our days up on Brokeback. It's a long time ago, now, but we both remember it like it was yesterday.

I hafta say, though, we both prefer our big king size bed to sleeping in a tent that smells of cat piss, or worse, any day of the week! LOL

You take good care.

Love,

Jack

Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline David

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 11:09:29 am »
Hi Jack and Ennis!

I didn't have your mailing address, so I thought I'd sent you an electonic Christmas card!

Have a Merry one!

David

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 11:10:25 am »
Jack,

Have you ever roasted a goose? I used to think it was greasy, and then someone taught me the proper way to roast it.  A  rotisserie if you have that, or if you don't, put some kind of rack, like one of those cooling racks for cakes, in the roasting pan and put the goose on top of that. Use the baster to make sure it isn't sitting in its own grease, and poke the skin with a fork several times before roasting. Very tasty! and not at all greasy.

To be honest, no, I haven't roasted a goose but with your advice, maybe I'll try.

About 75 acres of the farm are leased to the Quanah Rod and Gun Club. This started back when Hal was still alive and we have just kept up the lease all these years. It would be too hard to turn the land back to farming and we don't need that much space for horses. Anyway, Ennis and I usually do some bird hunting with the boys...quail and pheasant. Ennis prefers hunting big animals but there ain't much of that around here, so we make do with the birds in between our trips to Wyoming.

I suppose you are going to want a quail recipe now, aren't you? I'll see what I can find in my files. LOL

And thanks for sharing your recipe. I am always looking for something different to do with leftover chicken!

Love to you,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 11:12:24 am »
Hi Jack and Ennis!

I didn't have your mailing address, so I thought I'd sent you an electonic Christmas card!

Have a Merry one!

David

We have it from a reliable source that you are a horndog and it sure looks like you are living up to that reputation! LOL

THANKS for the card!!

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline David

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2006, 11:16:10 am »
We have it from a reliable source that you are a horndog and it sure looks like you are living up to that reputation! LOL

THANKS for the card!!

Hugs,

Jack

Nah!   More of a hopeless romantic!     OK,  part horndog too!    He he he!

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2006, 11:17:45 am »
Hey Jack, welcome to Bettermost! Do you think you will ever be able to convince Ennis to take a trip to Europe for Christmas? You won't have any problems finding places to stay!

A trip to Europe for Christmas? That sure sounds special. Don't they have whole towns that get all decorated in a special Christmas theme? I think I read about that, once.

I'd like to go to Europe someday, but haven't been there yet. Our friend MaineWriter (Leslie) has been a bunch of times and just tells great stories about the sights she has seen, and the people, and the fabulous food.

Maybe one of these days...one of the good things about Brokeback Mountain is that suddenly we feel like we have friends all over the world! We could spend the rest of our lives visiting them...

Hugs to you,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2006, 11:19:07 am »
Jack and Ennis,

This doesn't have anything to do with Christmas, but I am so excited!

Marge_Innavera wrote a great article about "Tom of Finland" in The Daily Sheet at davecullen.com:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=18557.msg635353#msg635353

She mentions A Love Born From Steel and how you guys discovered Hal's old collection of Physique Pictoral magazines. The article has pictures, too!

If you want to re-read that particular chapter, the link is here:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/5121.html

Enjoy!

Leslie

Darlin,

Ain't that grand? We are sure proud of you, sweet thing.

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

mvansand76

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2006, 11:30:46 am »
A trip to Europe for Christmas? That sure sounds special. Don't they have whole towns that get all decorated in a special Christmas theme? I think I read about that, once.

I'd like to go to Europe someday, but haven't been there yet. Our friend MaineWriter (Leslie) has been a bunch of times and just tells great stories about the sights she has seen, and the people, and the fabulous food.

Maybe one of these days...one of the good things about Brokeback Mountain is that suddenly we feel like we have friends all over the world! We could spend the rest of our lives visiting them...

Hugs to you,

Jack

Oh you will absolutely love it here, Jack. Ennis might have a hard time adjusting to the European way of life, though. But we will help him with that. Go visit the mountains of Switserland if you do make it to Europe. They are as beautiful as the Tetons.

By the way, who drew your lovely avatar?

Mel

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2006, 11:45:49 am »
Oh you will absolutely love it here, Jack. Ennis might have a hard time adjusting to the European way of life, though. But we will help him with that. Go visit the mountains of Switserland if you do make it to Europe. They are as beautiful as the Tetons.

By the way, who drew your lovely avatar?

Mel

MaineWriter has been to Switzerland and said it was breathtaking. She took a boat trip on Lake Lucerne, then went to the top of Mount Pilatus. It is definitely on the list to visit, if we get there. And Ennis...I'm sure he'll do fine. No one can resist that man, least of all me!

Jenny drew that picture, way back when. I found it on the floor, bought a frame for it and put it on the dresser....where it has been for 30 years.

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2006, 05:41:55 pm »
Jack and Ennis,

Just wanted to join the ranks of folks popping in to wish you all happy holidays!!

Thanks so much for sharing your life with us!  Sure means alot.

:)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

mvansand76

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2006, 06:11:13 pm »
MaineWriter has been to Switzerland and said it was breathtaking. She took a boat trip on Lake Lucerne, then went to the top of Mount Pilatus. It is definitely on the list to visit, if we get there. And Ennis...I'm sure he'll do fine. No one can resist that man, least of all me!

Jenny drew that picture, way back when. I found it on the floor, bought a frame for it and put it on the dresser....where it has been for 30 years.

Hugs,

Jack

Oh Luzern is beautiful, I can also recommend Valais and Saas Fee in the south of Switserland... Ennis will definitely feel at home there!

That picture is so cute!

Have a wonderful Christmas!  ;D

Mel

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2006, 10:14:59 am »
Jack and Ennis,

Just wanted to join the ranks of folks popping in to wish you all happy holidays!!

Thanks so much for sharing your life with us!  Sure means alot.

:)

Thank you, notBastet,

All our best to you for a very happy and peaceful holiday season...

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2006, 10:16:22 am »
This is for Marge_Innavera, because I promised.

BACON-WRAPPED QUAIL STUFFED WITH GOAT CHEESE

Since the quail are small and there's not much meat on each one, plan on serving guests two to three per person, and encourage them to chew the meat off the bones rather than trying to cut it off with a knife and fork.

16 (4-ounce) quail, rinsed and patted dry
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
8 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
16 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
16 sprigs fresh rosemary
16 strips thick-cut bacon

Season each quail inside and out with salt and pepper. Transfer to 1 to 2 large bowls, add oil, thyme, and garlic, and toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours.

Preheat oven to 500°F. Remove 1 quail from marinade. Stuff cavity with 1 ounce goat cheese and 1 sprig rosemary and tie legs together loosely with kitchen string. Wrap 1 strip bacon around breast and transfer quail, breast side up, to rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining quail, using 2 to 3 baking sheets. Roast until just cooked through (cut into inner thigh; meat will still be slightly pink), about 15 minutes.

Cook's note: If you prefer, the quail can be grilled rather than roasted. To avoid flare-ups from dripping fat, cook the bacon separately and stuff it in the cavity of each bird along with the cheese.

Serves 8

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2006, 01:10:19 pm »
Thanks, Jack! I had an aunt and uncle who used to visit at Christmas every year and my uncle always brought and cooked quail for our big Christmas Eve dinner. Your recipe kinda reminds me of his, but the goat cheese would add a whole new dimension to it.   :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2006, 09:32:06 am »
Hey Jack! Mention of this appetizer came up in chat the other day. Have you ever made it? I got this recipe from my Joy of Cooking which is slightly newer than yours...but not much.  Enjoy!

RUMAKI

Cut chicken livers into bite size pieces. Sprinkle with soy sauce. Prepare an equal number of 1/4 inche canned water chestnut slices. Wrap a piece of liver and water chestnut together in 1/2 wide slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick. Broil slowly until the bacon is crisp. Serve hot.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Scott6373

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2006, 09:40:32 am »
Psssst Jack...I gave her the idea.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2006, 09:49:07 am »
Well, it was a good idea, Scott and we tried em last night. Tasty!

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2006, 09:59:52 am »
Merry christmas, Jack and Ennis!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2006, 10:09:38 am »
Merry Christmas Eve, everybody!

Ennis and I have wonderful news!

Christian Hibbard Del Mar was born this morning at 5:03 am. He weighs 8 lbs 6 oz and seems to be perfect in every way. Kelly went into labor yesterday in the late afternoon. Kelly and Jenny stayed at home til about midnight when her water broke and then it was time to head to the hospital. 

Everything went smoothly, no problems at all. Both mothers are doing great. They are hoping to come home tomorrow.

Ennis and I couldn't be happier...

Hugs to all,

Jack
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 05:29:57 pm by LazyLJack »
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2006, 10:10:31 am »
Merry christmas, Jack and Ennis!

Oh, what a beautiful wreath, Belbbmfan! Thank you so much...merry Christmas to you and your family.

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2006, 12:43:33 pm »
Merry Christmas Jack and Ennis.  Love to both of you....

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2006, 04:37:26 pm »

Christian Hibbard Del Mar was born this morning at 5:03 am. He weighs 8 lbs 6 oz and seems to be perfect in every way. Kelly went into labor yesterday in the late afternoon. Kelly and Jenny stayed at home til about midnight when her water broke and then it was time to head to the hospital. 

Everything went smoothly, no problems at all. Both mothers are doing great. They are hoping to come home tomorrow.

Hugs to all,

Jack

OK

In honor of this Blessed Event, I just have to quote from a hymn I'm going to narrate this evening:

"Every night a child is born is a holy night."

We are called to celebrate Christmas to help us all remember that every birth is a sacred word from our Creator.

There's a Hindu proverb: "With the birth of every child comes a message that God hasn't given up on us yet."

Happy Holy Days!
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2006, 04:42:50 pm »
Let me bring tangled up Santa here to take care of Jack and Ennis' holiday wishes ..

Merry Christmas to One & All at LazyL!!  ;D

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2006, 05:30:27 pm »
Merry Christmas Jack and Ennis.  Love to both of you....

Thanks, Dev. Have a wondeful holiday, big hugs to you.

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2006, 05:31:17 pm »
OK

In honor of this Blessed Event, I just have to quote from a hymn I'm going to narrate this evening:

"Every night a child is born is a holy night."

We are called to celebrate Christmas to help us all remember that every birth is a sacred word from our Creator.

There's a Hindu proverb: "With the birth of every child comes a message that God hasn't given up on us yet."

Happy Holy Days!

Thank you, Fred.

We're going to pass this message on to Kelly and Jenny. It is a beautiful sentiment.

Have a wonderful day.

Hugs,
Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2006, 05:32:10 pm »
Let me bring tangled up Santa here to take care of Jack and Ennis' holiday wishes ..

Merry Christmas to One & All at LazyL!!  ;D

Thanks, Milli!

And thanks for all your wonderful art for MaineWriter's stories, we know she appreciates everything you do!

Have a wonderful day.

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2006, 12:58:01 pm »
Merry Christmas to all our friends!

Ennis and I have had a nice morning together. We opened presents and then had a brunch of fruit salad, breakfast casserole and waffles. After that, we spent some time on the phone talking to all the children and grandchildren. Evan is very excited about his new baby brother!

The weather is sunny and mild today, so we thought we'd go for a ride. Late in the afternoon, Bobby, Karen and their children are coming over for dinner. We decided to not have the venison last night (Christmas Eve) since we were alone and will be having it today.

All in all, a peaceful and happy Christmas. We send our very best wishes to all of you.

Hugs,

Jack

PS...Ennis did get me the Joy of Cooking!

Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline JT

« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2006, 02:16:38 pm »
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Jack and Ennis!  Makes me happy to see that you two are happy and well.  You're quite a cook there Jack.  I'll have to try some of your recipes.  You've came a long way from playing with that can opener. 

Peace to you and Ennis.

Trent

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2006, 10:27:43 pm »

Hugs to all,

Jack

Congratulations on the birth of your little grandson, Christian Hibbard (is Hibbard Kelly's surname?). I'm so thrilled for you and Ennis. Ennis must be so proud. As, I'm sure, are Kelly, Jenny and yourself. Glad to hear mothers and babe are doing well. Jack, I remember you commented on a sonnet I posted earlier, so thought it might be appropriate to post the following beautiful prose poem by Kahlil Gibran:

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said,
Speak to us of Children.
And he said:
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
Which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
But seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
As living arrows are sent forth.
The Archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
And He bends you with His might
That His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the Archer’s hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
So He loves also the bow that is stable.

My love to you all. And blessings to little Christian.

Kerry

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2006, 05:46:25 pm »
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Jack and Ennis!  Makes me happy to see that you two are happy and well.  You're quite a cook there Jack.  I'll have to try some of your recipes.  You've came a long way from playing with that can opener. 

Peace to you and Ennis.

Trent

I sure have...although we still enjoy beans!

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2006, 05:50:58 pm »
Kerry,

Thanks for that beautiful sonnet. I emailed it to Kelly and Jenny and they were very touched.

Kelly and Christian came home from the hospital on Christmas Day. According to Jenny, they are both doing fine. Kelly is a little sore, of course. Christian is a sleeper...at least for the moment. And he loves to nurse. You can't ask for much more in a baby, they tell me. I wouldn't know ... if everyone remembers, Bobby was bottle-fed. LOL

Evan, of course, is in seventh heaven about his new baby brother. We'd like to try to make it to Massachusetts for a visit, but we worry about the weather. Although right now, it seems like the only snow in the US is in Denver and Wisconsin!

Hugs to all,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

noreins

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2007, 11:16:22 am »
Happy New Year Jack ! And Happy New Year to Ennis too! Jack, how did you and Ennis celebrate on New Year's Eve? Did you have or go to a party? What was your first New Year's Eve together like? I have so many questions! I hope you will keep this thread when the Holidays are over! :)

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2007, 06:22:38 pm »
Happy New Year Jack ! And Happy New Year to Ennis too! Jack, how did you and Ennis celebrate on New Year's Eve? Did you have or go to a party? What was your first New Year's Eve together like? I have so many questions! I hope you will keep this thread when the Holidays are over! :)

Hi Noreins,

Thanks for the New Year's wishes. Ennis and I had a quiet evening, which suits us just fine. We had a delicious dinner of t-bone steak, creamed spinach, twice baked potatoes and a garden salad. Bobby and his wife Karen gave us a case of wine for Christmas. Ennis and I aren't experts, but Bobby seems to know his way around a wine shop, and we enjoy the bottles he picks out for us. Anyway, with our steak we had a Yellow Tail Shiraz, from Australia.

After dinner we had some quality time in the jacuzzi tub with a bottle of champagne and to bed early. Maybe not to sleep early, but we'll leave that to your imagination.

This is pretty much what we do every year. The New Year's Eve before we got together (1976) Ennis got rip roaring drunk (by himself) and I did too. We realize how lucky we are to have each other and use this holiday as a chance to reflect on our good fortune...usually just the two of us.

Noreins, I see you are new to Bettermost. Welcome! I am flattered that your first post ever would be to send us New Year's greetings. Do you read Mainewriter's stories? We are so happy that she opted to chronicle our lives and tell people the real ending of what happened to us.

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

noreins

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2007, 08:19:23 pm »
Hey Jack! Thanks for sharing how you Ennis spent New Years Eve together! Yes  I love Mainewriters stories about you and Ennis! I posted here first because this thread was the reason  I joined Bettermost! I just wanted to talk to you! :)
I was on another forum where one member mentioned the love that you and Ennis share as being "sacred". I think  I would have to agree with that. I think that's why so many are drawn to your story!  Mainewriter captures that in her stories.  And of course Annie Proulx did too.
I have another question for you. When did you realize you were so in love with Ennis? Was it when he switched places with you on the mountain because you were complaining about traveling? Or was it when he finally opened up to you and told you about his life? Or was it some other time?

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2007, 10:12:26 pm »
I think it is captured pretty clearly in both of MaineWriter's stories. Here is a link to the first one:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/417.html

For me, I think there was a bit of love at first sight going on. Ennis has a harder time pinpointing the exact moment.

Hugs to you,

Jack
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 07:08:03 am by MaineWriter »
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2007, 11:17:49 pm »
Anyway, with our steak we had a Yellow Tail Shiraz, from Australia.

Happy New Year, dear Jack & Ennis!  :laugh:

Lots of love and best wishes to you for a wonderful 2007!  :-*

Great choice of wine to celebrate with!  ;)

LOL

Kerry
Emerald City (Sydney)
Land of Oz (Australia)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2007, 11:21:40 pm »
I have so many questions! I hope you will keep this thread when the Holidays are over! :)

I'll second that. Please keep this thread open, Jack!

LOL

Kerry  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2007, 10:00:04 am »
Well!

Since you are all so fond of finding out about the goings-on at the Lazy L, I guess I'll keep posting little updates. I am going to move this, though, to the fanfic board, since the Holiday Forum is probably going to be archived in the next week or so (that was the original plan, at least).

New news...Ennis and I are seriously thinking of flying up to Massachusetts to meet Christian, and see Jenny, Kelly, and Evan. We'll probably fly to Hartford and rent a car to drive to Northampton. I hear that Davidinhartford works there for the TSA. Maybe he'll see us passing through. LOL

I'll keep y'all posted on travel plans.

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

noreins

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2007, 05:05:31 pm »
I think it is captured pretty clearly in both of MaineWriter's stories. Here is a link to the first one:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/417.html

For me, I think there was a bit of love at first sight going on. Ennis has a harder time pinpointing the exact moment.

Hugs to you,

Jack

Hi  Jack! thanks so much for keeping this thread! I would say that Ennis fell in love you when all the rest of us fell in love with you. And that would be the first time we saw those beautiful eyes of yours! :) Don't tell Ennis I said that! I don't want him to think I;m coming on to you!
That's great you and Ennis  are going to Massachusetts! Gay marriage is legal there ya know! ;) maybe you could have another wedding?

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Life at the Lazy L
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2007, 08:13:36 am »
January 3rd, 2007

Ennis and I spent the day yesterday cleaning up from Christmas. Took the tree down, put all the decorations away. Time to get back on track for the New Year.

The trip to Massachusetts is looking possible. We are trying to decide if we want to drive to Dallas or fly from Lubbock.

Yes, gay marriage is legal in Massachusetts, noreins, but I think we are all set. Two weddings in one life: July 4, 1976 and June 24, 2006. Those dates, and the ceremonies, work for me.

Time to go take care of the horses. Happy New Year, everyone!

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2007, 09:34:38 am »
Glad you are keeping your wedding dates as is. :) 
I haven't taken my Christmas decorations down yet.  Good for you! 
I hope you and Ennis have a great time in Mass.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2007, 10:16:50 am »
January 25, 2007

Hi everyone,

I realize it has been a little while since I've been in touch. Life has been busy. Ennis and I did make the trip to Massachusetts to meet Christian. We were lucky...no bad weather and it wasn't even too cold! We did make the drive to Dallas and then flew to Bradley International Airport (Hartford). David, we looked for you but didn't see you. It must have been your day off!

Christian (or Chris, as they are already calling him) is a wonderful baby. He has blond hair and blue eyes, which sort of amazed Ennis and me! Jenny has her father's features, including the brown eyes, while Kelly has dark hair and blue eyes (sort of like you-know-who). A baby with the combination of the two...we never expected it, but there he is! And as cute as he possibly can be.

Chris is a good baby and eats and sleeps well, but it is still exhausting, and both Jenny and Kelly looked bushed. We spent a lot of our time doing things with Evan, to get him out of the house, and give the girls some time alone...which they used to catch up on their sleep, they said. One day we went to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. Evan was a little young for it and Ennis and I aren't real basketball fans, but it was still fun. There was a place to shoot hoops and we let Evan burn up some of his excess energy.

Chris was one month old yesterday! It was fun to be there for that first milestone.

Now we are back and settling in. Things will be quiet here for a few weeks. We put the "Christmas wagon" away and have finished with those rides for the season. We have lessons to attend to and trail riding picks up again in a few weeks...usually mid-March.

Hugs to all,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2007, 07:47:20 pm »
February 24, 2007

Dear Friends,

I just wanted to post an update...many of you may be aware but KE died on February 20. He was at home at his sister Cecelia's house, with his Cecelia and two sons at his side. KE had hospice coming to the house since August, so his pain and other symptoms were well controlled. Cecelia told me he was in a coma at the end, and passed quietly.

While Ennis knew this was coming, it has hit him hard. The past 8 months have been sort of remarkable, beginning with their working things out during our July 4th party. Ennis got a letter in August and after that, they started talking on the phone, sometimes two times a week. It was sort of like they needed to pack 25 years of missed brotherhood into 8 months. I think they succeeded.

I think I mentioned in another post that we went to Wyoming in November. KE did give Ennis the family watch, as he had promised. It is very beautiful, with engraving and the date "1868." Apparently, Silas Del Mar (Ennis's great-great-great grandpa) bought it for himself before he left Illinois, to commemorate his trip west. With all the Del Mars have been through over the years, it is amazing this little keepsake is still around. We are working to create some sort of a display case for it but haven't come up with the right solution, yet.

KE's obituary was published in the Casper Star-Tribune and the Quanah Bulletin. I will post a copy of it here for those who are interested.

Thanks to all of you who keep us in your thoughts and prayers. It means a great deal to us.

Hugs,

Jack

Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2007, 07:49:18 pm »
Published simultaneously in the Casper Star-Tribune and the Quanah Bulletin, February 23, 2007.

Keith Edward Del Mar, Jr.

CASPER—Keith Edward (KE) Del Mar, Jr., 65, died at home on February 20, 2007, after a year long battle against lung cancer. His sister and children were at his side.

Mr. Del Mar was born in Sage on April 22, 1941, son of Keith Edward and Eleanor (Truitt) Del Mar, Sr. He attended Sage schools and began working as a rancher at the age of 16. He married Laurie Gillette in 1963 and had two sons, Rory and Michael. They divorced in 1982.

Mr. Del Mar was proud of his Wyoming roots which went back to 1868 when his great-great-great grandfather, Silas Del Mar, moved from Illinois to settle in the west. Ranching was a family tradition and Mr. Del Mar made his living working on ranches in Sage, Worland, and most recently, Casper. He was active in 4-H, a member of the Wyoming Farm Bureau, loved horses and livestock, and enjoyed being outdoors. Mr. Del Mar was an avid hunter and liked to fish.

He is survived by his sister, Cecelia and husband Lewis Underwood, of Casper; his brother Ennis and husband Jack Twist, of Quanah, Texas; son Rory and wife Lisa, of Sheridan; son Michael, of Rafter J Ranch; two grandchildren; and an extended family of nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents who died in 1957.

A memorial service is planned for the spring with a private burial at the Sage Community Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, Mr. Del Mar requested that donations be made to Casper Hospice; Hospice of Hardeman County in Quanah, TX; or the American Cancer Society.
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2007, 01:50:16 am »
Thank you Jack for sharing the obit with us.  Sort of makes me tear up to think of how Ennis must be dealing with it, glad he has you there to share with.
Nice of you to update all of us.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2007, 08:22:33 am »
Thanks, Ranchgal...I appreciate your words.

They've decided to have a memorial service for KE sometime in the spring. Maybe around his birthday (April 22) or early in May. The burial will be then, too. Not to be too blunt about it, but you can't bury people in Wyoming in February...the ground is frozen. They just stack em all up and wait til the spring...

We're doing okay. Thanks, everyone, for thinking about us. I actually wrote a drabble. It's on the other thread.

Hugs,

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline JT

« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2007, 09:51:06 pm »
Published simultaneously in the Casper Star-Tribune and the Quanah Bulletin, February 23, 2007.

Keith Edward Del Mar, Jr.

CASPER—Keith Edward (KE) Del Mar, Jr., 65, died at home on February 20, 2007, after a year long battle against lung cancer. His sister and children were at his side.

Mr. Del Mar was born in Sage on April 22, 1941, son of Keith Edward and Eleanor (Truitt) Del Mar, Sr. He attended Sage schools and began working as a rancher at the age of 16. He married Laurie Gillette in 1963 and had two sons, Rory and Michael. They divorced in 1982.

Mr. Del Mar was proud of his Wyoming roots which went back to 1868 when his great-great-great grandfather, Silas Del Mar, moved from Illinois to settle in the west. Ranching was a family tradition and Mr. Del Mar made his living working on ranches in Sage, Worland, and most recently, Casper. He was active in 4-H, a member of the Wyoming Farm Bureau, loved horses and livestock, and enjoyed being outdoors. Mr. Del Mar was an avid hunter and liked to fish.

He is survived by his sister, Cecelia and husband Lewis Underwood, of Casper; his brother Ennis and husband Jack Twist, of Quanah, Texas; son Rory and wife Lisa, of Sheridan; son Michael, of Rafter J Ranch; two grandchildren; and an extended family of nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents who died in 1957.

A memorial service is planned for the spring with a private burial at the Sage Community Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, Mr. Del Mar requested that donations be made to Casper Hospice; Hospice of Hardeman County in Quanah, TX; or the American Cancer Society.

I haven't visit lately and I'm sorry about Ennis' brother's passing!  I'm glad you were there with Ennis in one of his hard times.  Good luck always, Jack.

PS.  I'm glad they recognized your wonderful relationship with Ennis.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2007, 06:28:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

I realize it's been a long time since I dropped in here at Bettermost. I just wanted to give y'all a quick update.

As I am sure you all realize, Ennis and I celebrated our 31st anniversary on July 4th. Thirty-one years! Where does the time go? This year was much quieter than last. Bobby and his family came over for the day and we had a cookout (hamburgers and hotdogs, no chili this year). Late in the day, Scott and Billy dropped in for a visit and coffee. They are still together and seem very happy. Scott finishes graduate school in a few months--he is looking for a job so they will probably be leaving Lubbock--but they both want to stay close to Texas and family.

We did have a memorial for KE in May, so Ennis and I traveled to Wyoming for that. It was a lovely day. Alma Jr. drove up from Laramie which I thought was very kind of her, considering she barely knew her uncle. He did make a difference in everyone's lives, at the end. That is what counts, right?

Ennis and I are off to New England in a few weeks for our annual vacation. First we'll visit Jenny and Kelly, then up to Moosehead Lake in Maine. Ennis has some fool idea about climbing Mt. Katahdin and I told him, "Boy, I am done with mountains for this lifetime. I just want to sit and relax." Maybe if he really sweet talks me I'll get in a rowboat with a fishing line, but that's about it!  ;D

We both send all our friends here at Bettermost our very best wishes ...

Hugs,

Jack

Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2007, 06:59:46 pm »
Thanks for stopping by with the update, Jack!  Great to hear from you. Sounds like a wonderful anniversary, spent with loved ones, and what could be better than that? 

Glad to hear about Scott and Billy - sounds like they are off to a great start on a wonderful life together.

Yes, it was very kind of Junior to attend K.E.'s memorial - and yes, K.E. did make a difference in everyone's life and that sure is what counts.  You bet.

Have fun in Maine - hope the fish are bitin'! (and say Hi to my friend Leslie if you spot her up there! )  :)

Love to Ennis!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2007, 07:14:59 pm »
Thanks for the update, Jack.     :-*

So good to see you.  I was thinking of you guys just a few days ago, hoping you had a nice anniversary.   ;)   In fact, your anniversary was a nice topic of conversation on another forum just this week.  So nice to hear the details.   :)

Much love to you and Ennis.  (You best let him go on his hike...the stubborn man will just scowl at you if you fuss.)   ;)   Take care, Jack. 

Cristine   :)   
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2009, 08:58:03 am »
Happy Birthday, Jack! 

Hope all is well at the Lazy L!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2009, 09:39:00 pm »
Happy Birthday, Jack!  Hope you and Ennis have a fine time celebrating!  :)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2010, 08:38:43 am »
Happy Birthday, Jack! 

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2010, 08:47:31 am »
Happy Birthday Jack! :)
Hope you 'n Ennis are doing well down there in Texas.

(Oh my, this thread is a trip down memory lane for sure. I just reread the last page. Brought a warm feeling into my tummy and a smile to my face :). I will reread the whole thread tonight, when I have more time.)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2010, 05:00:48 pm »
Hm..... I don't get this thread......?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2010, 01:42:08 am »
Hm..... I don't get this thread......?

Have you read A Love Born From Steel and Through the Veil of Time?
Well, we were lucky enough that Jack from those stories payed us some visits :).

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2010, 03:01:21 am »
Have you read A Love Born From Steel and Through the Veil of Time?
Well, we were lucky enough that Jack from those stories payed us some visits :).

Yeah, so I was told.  Thanks Chrissi!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2010, 03:10:56 am »
ah...I thought I recognised the name...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »
Happy Birthday, Jack! 

How're things at the Lazy L?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2011, 02:05:17 pm »
Happy Birthday, Jack! :)
Take care, you two.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2011, 02:19:50 pm »
Happy Birthday, Jack. I hope you and Ennis are well and still living the sweet life together.

Hugs
Monika

Offline kitty

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Old Brokeback Got Me Good
    • Livejournal
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
This thread is so cute! :-*

Happy birthday, Jack, hope you and Ennis are doing well :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »
Jack and Ennis are doing well and appreciate the birthday greetings and good wishes.

The Lazy L story has been transformed and is available as an ebook...you can buy it here:

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-i039msayingyes-546419-145.html

or here for Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Im-Saying-Yes-ebook/dp/B004ZRF7S4/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1316998366&sr=1-1

Thanks in advance for reading!

L