Our BetterMost Community > The Holiday Forum

Holiday Menus

(1/53) > >>

MaineWriter:
Greetings, all!

A suggestion was made in chat to have a thread for Holiday Menus (not recipes). Since we are such an international group, we thought it would be fun to see what people traditionally eat for special occasions during this holiday season...Hanukah brunch, Christmas Eve dinner, New Year's Day, etc...you name the event and tell us what is found on your table. Don't include recipes here. If you want to include recipes, post them on the appropriate thread. And if you want to ask someone for a recipe...that's fine too!

Have fun! I am looking forward to reading lots of interesting menus!

Leslie

MaineWriter:
I'll get the ball rolling...just as Santa will always come down the chimney, this meal will always be on the table for Christmas Dinner in our family.

THE NICOLL FAMILY CHRISTMAS MENU

Standing rib roast
Yorkshire pudding
Creamed onions
Creamed spinach
Peas
Horseradish sauce

Dessert -- varies. Nothing particularly traditional about dessert in our household, for some reason!

Leslie

Jeff Wrangler:
This is really jumping ahead, but the traditional Pennsylvania German New Year's Day dinner is roast pork with sauerkraut. It's one of those dishes that's supposed to bring you good luck in the coming year if you eat it on New Year's Day. Contrariwise, no proper Pennsylvania German would eat chicken on New Year's Day. Why? Because chickens scratch backward--a bad sign at the beginning of the new year--whereas hogs (pork) root forward.  ;D

Since sauerkraut is said to be rich in vitamin C, perhaps there is kernal of truth behind the tradition of eating it on New Year's Day. Back in the days before people knew about vitamins, it would be a good thing to consume something rich in vitamin C in the depth of winter.

ednbarby:
Here's my menu for this Thanksgiving (we're having two couples over):

14-lb roasted turkey
Giblet gravy
Traditional stuffing (made with baguettes, onions, celery, chicken broth, and lots of butter)
Mashed potatoes (made with Idaho potatoes, heavy cream, and lots of butter)
Cranberry relish (made with fresh cranberries, oranges, and orange liquer (but no butter!))
Green bean casserole (the hokey magazine kind, made with mushroom soup and that dried onion stuff on top)

And for dessert: a triple-layer chocolate mud pie, made with a chocolate pie crust, semi-sweet bakers chocolate, chocolate pudding mix, pecans, and whipped cream.  (I wanted to do my specialty - Southern bourbon pecan pie - but my husband doesn't care for it, the nutjob, so I promised I'd make a pie he was guaranteed to like this year.)

MaineWriter:
Green bean casserole is one of those comfort foods I like to eat about once, or maybe twice, a year. I made it a few weeks ago for dinner at my parent's house. According to the Durkee's French Fried Onions can, it is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. Imagine, a casserole having an anniversary!

L

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version