Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 98174 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2015, 04:11:32 pm »
Sounds outstanding! I prepared leg of lamb this year. One problem I have is that when the lamb starts to brown and the drippings fall into the gravy pan, the kitchen starts to get smoky and we have to open some windows. I try to remember to put water in the gravy pan but it doesn't always take care of the problem. Anybody, like Paul, have any tips for me?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2015, 09:03:02 pm »
Sounds outstanding! I prepared leg of lamb this year. One problem I have is that when the lamb starts to brown and the drippings fall into the gravy pan, the kitchen starts to get smoky and we have to open some windows. I try to remember to put water in the gravy pan but it doesn't always take care of the problem. Anybody, like Paul, have any tips for me?

Hmm, I don't often do leg of lamb, but I have two ideas:

1) Put a bunch of sliced onions in the bottom of the pan; you can add them to the gravy.

2) Cook it on an outdoor grill

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2015, 12:31:17 am »
Impressive menu and item-coupling Paul.  Most our friends/family wouldn't know what most of the stuff you served is & I don't know that any one of them has ever had lamb :)  I kept the sit down part simple: Fab shrimp cocktail, Prime Rib, Idaho bakers, and charred Brussel Sprouts which I finished in Olive Oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. No nice Port after, but the Naked Grape Cab (in the box) was a hit.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2015, 09:33:40 am »
Cheers, Brad.  I love prime rib!  Isn't is just the cow version of rack of lamb?  Do you serve it on the bone?  When I was a kid, I would always ask for the bone because our German Shepard LOVED it.

I'll share a secret:  the reason I started doing rack of lamb--it only takes about 25 minutes to cook.  Roast for 500 degrees for ten minutes, then turn down to 350 for about 15 minutes for rosy rare. I don't even put it in until all the guests have arrived. 

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2015, 11:23:54 am »
I didn't have any recipies this year, mom said she wanted to handle it all.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2015, 01:23:02 pm »
Cheers, Brad.  I love prime rib!  Isn't is just the cow version of rack of lamb?  Do you serve it on the bone?  When I was a kid, I would always ask for the bone because our German Shepard LOVED it.

Didn't do this one on the bone but that is my preferred way (protects & keeps the meat moist). This one had Kosher salt/granulated garlic/packed whole Rosemary crust.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2016, 10:38:59 pm »
The challenge I have every year is finding cornichons, which are de rigueur for holiday meals IMHO. This year, I only had to go to four places to find them! And most of these stores are the size of a football field! Go figure!

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2016, 01:01:14 am »
The challenge I have every year is finding cornichons, which are de rigueur for holiday meals IMHO. This year, I only had to go to four places to find them! And most of these stores are the size of a football field! Go figure!

Amazon.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2016, 11:40:55 am »
I'm getting  away easy this year.  Michelle wants me to just bake various rolls/breads and a Buffalo  Chicken Dip

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2019, 05:27:12 pm »
Twas the weekend before Thanksgiving. . .

and I'm searching for a recipe that I can make ahead, improves with mellowing a few days, and can be served a room temperature. I've already made all the relishes and pickles, etc.

Accepting ideas! I'm thinking maybe some kind of slaw.