Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 150342 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #220 on: November 22, 2020, 05:10:16 pm »

Let's hope they don't enforce it the way Brian said New Zealand did or could, with cops allowed to barge into households to make sure everyone inside lived there. That was the one precaution Brian has outlined that I would balk at. But then, when NZ cops burst into a home they're probably less likely to shoot anyone.
LOL
Our police do not routinely carry guns although there is regular discussion about changing that. We are more likely (as early this year) to have national mourning due the the death of a policeman. Two young police officers made a routine traffic stop and the driver jumped out and shot them both, one fatally. His funeral was delayed as close relatives had to come from Australia and undergo 14 days quarantine. The funeral (in our largest football stadium) was broadcast on TV about 2 hours. It was very emotional. Just the Haka at the end has me in tears

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #221 on: November 22, 2020, 06:25:10 pm »
I spent several HOURS on Thursday ordering groceries for Thanksgiving week, picking them up yesterday. One thing the store didn't have and didn't even have a substitute, was carrots. Carrots!

What would be a substitute for carrots I wonder.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2020, 06:31:50 pm »
LOL
Our police do not routinely carry guns although there is regular discussion about changing that. We are more likely (as early this year) to have national mourning due the the death of a policeman. Two young police officers made a routine traffic stop and the driver jumped out and shot them both, one fatally. His funeral was delayed as close relatives had to come from Australia and undergo 14 days quarantine. The funeral (in our largest football stadium) was broadcast on TV about 2 hours. It was very emotional. Just the Haka at the end has me in tears

Your fellow citizens are much less murderous than ours, that's for sure. Whether via gun or COVID.

Weren't the first Europeans in Australia criminals, taken there as prisoners? I could very easily be wrong, but that's how I seem to remember my ancient history. And of course, that might not apply to NZ.

In any case, much of the United States was settled by extremely religious people. Funny how things work out.

Offline brianr

« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2020, 06:49:49 pm »
Your fellow citizens are much less murderous than ours, that's for sure. Whether via gun or COVID.

Weren't the first Europeans in Australia criminals, taken there as prisoners? I could very easily be wrong, but that's how I seem to remember my ancient history. And of course, that might not apply to NZ.

In any case, much of the United States was settled by extremely religious people. Funny how things work out.
Yes the first Europeans to settle in Australia were convicts from England. But they could be transported for 7 years for stealing a loaf of bread. That was not true of NZ. However 16.5% of our population are Maori, a very blood thirsty culture. They regularly raided and murdered between tribes before colonisation. They fought a very strong battle  against the British in the Maori Wars.
I think access to guns is the major difference. Thankfully we do not have a right to bear arms.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2020, 09:12:31 pm »
I think access to guns is the major difference. Thankfully we do not have a right to bear arms.

Probably. The Founders thought it was important to specify that because many early colonists were fleeing despotic European governments and felt they needed to protect themselves against government tyranny.

That might have made sense in the 18th century, but the concept sure backfired (no pun intended).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2020, 09:55:00 pm »

I believe you're correct. The first fleet of settlers consisted of criminals transported out of England.

One of these days I'll get around to reading The Fatal Shore (1986), by Robert Hughes, which tells the story of the colonization of Australia.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2020, 10:06:51 pm »
So if you did spend the holiday with your dad it would be OK because it's not in the city?

That's correct. The mandates are not statewide. According to the regulations now, I can't even go down to visit my friend who lives on the 20th floor because we're not in the same household.

I don't know what they're doing out in Pittsburgh.

The city's ban on indoor dining is being protested by some restaurant owners. Of course they're hurting financially, but they're also quite sensibly pointing out that if you want to eat inside a restaurant, all you have to do is cross the city line into one of the suburban counties, or pop down to Delaware.

Let's hope they don't enforce it the way Brian said New Zealand did or could, with cops allowed to barge into households to make sure everyone inside lived there. That was the one precaution Brian has outlined that I would balk at. But then, when NZ cops burst into a home they're probably less likely to shoot anyone.

That, I have to say, I find truly shocking. Like stormtroopers. That I would call tyranny, even in the present crisis.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2020, 10:33:36 pm »
That, I have to say, I find truly shocking. Like stormtroopers. That I would call tyranny, even in the present crisis.
It would have been nothing like that. The police would have arrived most likely due to a complaint from the neighbours. They would have knocked on the door and politely asked questions. If they found people in the house who should not have been there, they would have issued a warning and asked people to leave. In most cases, people would comply. Only occasionally would force be necessary. The same thing could happen any Saturday night due to excessive noise. Music machines are removed and sometimes people asked to go home. They might be arrested for drunkenness but are released the next morning usually without charge. Quite common in our university town.
As I have stated elsewhere. In NZ the majority of people respect the lawmakers and comply with any requests from police. As they are not wearing guns, there is nothing to fear.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2020, 09:44:25 am »
What would be a substitute for carrots I wonder.

I had ordered frozen, crinkle cut carrots with substitution allowed but they were out of frozen carrots, period. Fortunately, I do know how to process fresh carrots!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2020, 11:45:39 am »
One of these days I'll get around to reading The Fatal Shore (1986), by Robert Hughes, which tells the story of the colonization of Australia.

That would be fun to read while visiting Australia. When I travel, I love to read books -- I mean real books, not just guidebooks -- of places I'm visiting. For example, I read V.S. Naipaul's The Enigma of Arrival when visiting the Caribbean -- it was perfect. Maybe someday we can travel again!