Author Topic: Who is your favorite Jake Gyllenhaal character (not including Jack Twist)?  (Read 8143 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I'm making the rather sweeping generalization here that Jack Twist would rank as pretty much all our number one favorite characters of Jake, hence the omission.  But if you do indeed prefer one over Jack, please elaborate.  :)

My own *very* close second (thisclose) is Donnie Darko.  They are both cut from the same cloth.  Both optimists to the point of being revolutionaries and/or both Christlike.
No more beans!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Who is your favorite Jake Gyllenhaal character (not including Jack Twist)?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:49:43 pm »
Agreed, Barb.

Donnie Darko  has much depth and quirkiness.  It was a tour-de-force role for Jake.  Very  moving.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 03:23:26 am »
Paul's sig line reminds me that you skipped his role in City Slickers, Barb. :)

I've only seen Moonlight Mile, The Good Girl, Lovely and Amazing, Bubble Boy, Donnie Darko, and October Sky.  I need to see Lovely and Amazing and October Sky again, now that Jake is on my radar, because honestly, he didn't make an impact on me back then, when I saw them in the theater, pre-BBM.  The others I saw this past year, because of Jake.  I liked The Good Girl, but honestly, I don't really feel like any movie I've seen used Jake well, til BBM. 

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 05:48:43 am »
I voted for Donnie.
But I've seen only three movies with Jake: Donnie Darko, Jarhead and The Day After Tomorrow.

But if you do indeed prefer one over Jack, please elaborate.  :)

You think this possible  :o ??  ;)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 07:19:49 am »
My own *very* close second (thisclose) is Donnie Darko.  They are both cut from the same cloth.  Both optimists to the point of being revolutionaries and/or both Christlike.

I agree, Barb...<big surprise, I know>  ::) but I would say t h i s c l o s e, myself, because Jack still haunts me well over a year later.  Donnie is with me still, but not eating at me, if that makes any sense...

For some odd reason, "Mad World" was playing at the Mexican place where I had dinner tonight (unlikely, I know, but true)...and it made me smile.  :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 12:27:50 am »
This was kind of difficult because I like Jake in those movies for different reasons. I liked Good Girl because Jake was so moody & sexy, I liked Donnie Darko because Jake was so crazy and so sane & self-sacrificing at the same time. But I really feel Jake did a really superb job as Swofford in Jarhead. (And not just because of the Santa dance.)
 ;)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 09:42:22 pm »
Donnie Darko.  I have a thing for men who are going mad.   8)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 03:06:57 pm »
Oh, it has to be Donnie. No doubt about that. Donnie is and remains such a very fascinating and enigmatic and spooky and moody and lovable character.......   8)
DD is one of my favourite movies of all time, - and I'd probably never even have gotten round to seeing it if it hadn't been for BBM!  :o

I also freely admit to having pretty big weak spots for Jordan, Jimmy and Swoff as well. And I'm still mightily peeved at fate that no math nerd looking and behaving remotely like Hal Dobbs has ever come *my* way.

(While my least favourite one, entirely in a class of his own, is the Joe Nast character. I thought the film was blah and his epiphany in the witness box was cringe-inducing to the max.)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 03:41:00 pm »
Donnie Darko.  Don't know if he would have gotten an Oscar nom for it even if the film had been financially more successful, but it was an excellant performance.  His performance was haunting to say the least.

Some of his fans tell me he did a great job in October Sky. I never saw the film, so I can't comment.

Offline Toast

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 04:08:19 pm »
Jack Twist (Jake) absolutely steals the show for me in Brokeback - but of course he couldn't be who he is without (Ennis)Heath to create the scenes.

I loved him in October Sky
I have it as a download, and still watched it when it came on one of my satellite channels.  There is one scene where Homer is going down the mine and he is dressed exactly like Jack Twist - denim shirt and jeans, white tshirt (hardhat instead of cowboy hat).  Going down the shaft, he looks up at the sky and I think of Ennis and Jack so much then.

I can watch October Sky (nice soundtrack too) and not feel llike I am losing Jack Twist in Jake Gyllenhaal.  I also have Jarhead, Darko and Bubble but I am afraid to watch them since they are departures from Jack Nasty.

When I watch October Sky, I feel like I am watching the growing up years of Jack Twist - or at least some of the angst of growing up at that time in America.

October Sky - hands down for me.  Lovely movie.

Maybe I should give in and have a Gyllenhaal festival sometime soon.  Mmmm popcorn and .... (No more beans) ...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 04:11:49 pm by Toast »