Author Topic: Vegetarian holiday cooking  (Read 9831 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Vegetarian holiday cooking
« on: November 20, 2006, 02:44:33 pm »
We have several vegetarians in the family.  This gravy is delicious.  Three years ago, when the turkey gravy ran out, some of the meat-eaters grumblingly tried this, and chose to have it again the subsequent years.  Very flavorful and a lovely tawny color.  Also, loaded with all the B vitamins, including B12 (usually only found in animal products), so it really helps handle the stress of the day.

Golden Gravy

Put some flour in a dry pan.  (I like using whole wheat flour, but for a really smooth, polished sort of sauce, use white flour, or even that Wondra shaker stuff.)

Heat it slowly over heat, stirring.

Add nutritional yeast, roughly the same amount as the flour.  (Not bread yeast or brewers yeast or any other kind - nutritional yeast.  I use the large flake, but small flake would probably turn out the same.  Usually found in the bulk food section of good grocery stores.)

Pour in some olive oil and mix it til it's sort of like damp beach sand crumbles, still heating.

For the next five minutes, don't focus on anything but this.

Get a bunch of water (a pint or so?), and slowly add it to the sand mixture, stirring the whole time.  It's very fun when you first start adding the water, it hisses and thickens quickly.  Keep stirring, and adding water.  How much you add is up to you, depends on the thickness you prefer. 

Add tamari (shoyu) to taste.  (Not that Kikkoman or La Choy stuff.  The real stuff like Westbrae or San-J.)

Keep cooking for a little while.  Keep stirring.

Dee-licious on mashed potatoes, though throughout the year we usually have it on brown rice.

No foolin', my very non-health food in-laws love it.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Vegetarian holiday cooking
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 03:12:33 pm »
That sounds really good, Clarissa.  I'm glad to know of an alternative to meat gravy for when I get the cravings.  :)

Does 'some flour' mean enough to cover the bottom of the pan or more/less than that?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:08:32 pm »
That sounds really good, Clarissa.  I'm glad to know of an alternative to meat gravy for when I get the cravings.  :)

Does 'some flour' mean enough to cover the bottom of the pan or more/less than that?

Are you a vegetarian, Meryl?

I know, I didn't give amounts.  For the three of us, on a regular evening, my guess is I use about half a cup of flour, half a cup of yeast, 2-3 tablespoons of oil.  But that's guessing, I just throw 'em in.  It's never turned out bad, just thicker and thinner, stronger and less strong.

Nutritional yeast and tamari is one of those magical flavor combinations that is more than the sum of its parts.  Like sour cream and brown sugar, a wonderful flavor alchemy. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:11:49 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 05:42:24 pm »
That sounds really good, Elle. Thanks! BTW, what do the vegetarians in your family eat for a main course on Thanksgiving?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 01:30:51 am »
That sounds really good, Elle. Thanks! BTW, what do the vegetarians in your family eat for a main course on Thanksgiving?

Well, Tofurkey has now become a tradition.  I don't care for it, but that's what some people like, so I make it.  Everything else is edible by all.  My husband was a hardcore vegan for several years, which meant we had two sets of stuffing and two sets of mashed potatoes, those with dairy products, and those without.  Now that he has slacked off to being easier-going about butter and other dairy products, we just have the one kind of stuffing and mashed potatoes.  So really, the turkey is the only meat dish on the table, since no one seems to care for mincemeat pie or anything like that.

Update - Oh wait, and the turkey gravy, but we already covered that. :)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 05:27:45 pm »
OK, I'm foreign: are these like, Thanksgiving recipes?? If it is, this is fantastic! I am going to try them out here in France.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 05:57:55 pm »
OK, I'm foreign: are these like, Thanksgiving recipes?? If it is, this is fantastic! I am going to try them out here in France.

Hi Isabelle, yes, Thanksgiving.  There are certain things that are very basic to Thanksgiving dinner - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie.  Those are all "required." 

There is a growing business in America of creating turkey-substitutes for vegetarians.  The best known (at least here in Seattle) is Tofurkey (made, I guess, from tofu).

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 04:44:00 am »
Thanks for the tip, Elle! I am vegetarian too, and eat a lot of tofu, but of course here you don't actually get the tofurkey. Anyhow, this weekend (no time before then) I'm making a Thanksgiving meal. I'll say I'm thankful for seeing BBM and meeting y'all here  8)
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 01:20:42 pm »
Isabelle, that's great that you're going to have your first Thanksgiving experience!  Be sure to let us know what you cooked up.  Good luck, and bon appetit!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 10:25:52 pm »
Elle, I just wanted you to know that I tried your Golden Gravy and thought it was great!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I am single, and I rarely make a roast or a chicken, preferring to buy prepared foods from the deli.; hence I have no pan juices to make gravy from.  The yeast/tamari gravy also has the virtue of being low in cholesterol.

I used a can of fat-free chicken broth instead of water.  Next time I may try beef broth.  My gravy was a bit too flour-y tasting, but next time I'll adjust the amounts accordingly.  I served it with leftover turkey and potatoes, and it was quite satisfying, despite lacking the full flavor of the real thing.  I think it would be good served over root vegetables and rice, too.

Thanks for a great addition to my diet!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...