Author Topic: Do You Like Fruitcake?  (Read 9396 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Do You Like Fruitcake?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 10:42:11 pm »
Still not sold SouthendMD.  I used to get one everyear from someone who never got the hint. It was made by monks in Texas.  Well, I'm sure the proceeds went to benefit the monastery. I can just picture those monks making fruitcakes in July to be ready to be sent in December. :-\

The kind of fruitcake you're describing sounds like penance. :-X

Ain't the real thing.

Who ever heard of monks in Texas, anyway.  What do they know? Hunh?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 11:05:21 pm »
Fruitcakes and bath soap are the worst gifts! And those musical ties. If anyone ever gives me one of those, I'll hang myself with it.  :P

Yes - so impersonal.  Like, hello, everyone uses soap.  But how do you really know what someone's favorite scent is, and whether they even want it in a soap?  And AS IF anyone would ever actually wear one of those ties who wasn't just totally goofing on everybody else.  And how much mileage can you get out of that?

I'm one of those people who puts a lot of thought into the gifts I give.  I really try to get something they'll take to like fish to water but yet wouldn't buy for themselves, ya know?  So when I get a thoughtless re-gift, it's like a slap to the face.

My husband is the most difficult person in the world to buy for, because he's about the only straight man I know (no offense intended!) who actually enjoys shopping.  He shops (for bargains, mostly) all the time and buys himself all the things he wants and needs.  So clothing is out of the question.  I try to make him something personal every year for his birthday and Christmas, like a CD of his favorite songs or an album of his favorite photos (that he took himself - I can't take a decent picture to save my life).  And since I *hate* to shop, even for clothes and shoes for myself, he buys me beautiful shirts and jackets and shoes he finds in his travels - things that immediately become my favorite items of clothing, but that I would never buy for myself.

And then my idiot ex-neighbor gives me an opened box of Crest Whitestrips for my birthday.  Seriously.  That disturbed me on a number of levels.  (I have really good dental hygiene, I swear!)
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 12:37:48 am »

And then my idiot ex-neighbor gives me an opened box of Crest Whitestrips for my birthday.  Seriously.  That disturbed me on a number of levels.  (I have really good dental hygiene, I swear!)

What in the world was she thinking giving you an opened box of whitening strips?

Boy, that gift certainly does take the cake... err... the fruitcake in my opinion.  :(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 12:42:45 am »
The worst present I ever received was from my own mother!  >:(

She made a dish of mixed vegetables for a party and nobody ate them. She poured maple syrup over the mixed vegetables and then she chilled them in the refrigerator. She called them "Hawaiian vegetables".

She canned a big batch of them up and gave me some as a birthday present.  :P

It was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted in my entire life.

Don't worry, I DIDN'T regift it! It went in the trash.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 01:22:18 am »
The worst present I ever received was from my own mother!  >:(

She made a dish of mixed vegetables for a party and nobody ate them. She poured maple syrup over the mixed vegetables and then she chilled them in the refrigerator. She called them "Hawaiian vegetables".

She canned a big batch of them up and gave me some as a birthday present.  :P

It was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted in my entire life.

Don't worry, I DIDN'T regift it! It went in the trash.

ok I was thinking I had the worst gift story but you topped me...

I bought my sister a handmade carousel horse music box for Christmas....she gave me a bottle of hair conditioner she got free with purchase....

oh ...and I like SOME fruitcakes...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 03:04:43 am »

I know I wouldn't find it funny if my neighbor gave me this, but sitting here, that is friggin' hilarious, Barb.  What an @$$h0!*.

Fruitcake - yes, gross.  The word "cloying" comes to mind.  But if we transmute what we are thinking about into German Christmas flavors, now THAT can be the yummiest.  Not fruitcake, but still dark rich cake with ginger/nutmeg/cardamom/cinnamon goodness, and little citron bits.  Somehow a world of difference.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 03:17:00 am »
"it makes me want to yack" - yessir, that pretty much sums it up.

What comedian was it - George Carlin, maybe? - who said he thought there was really only one fruitcake in existence and it just kept getting regifted year after year after year.  If I ever get a hold of it, I know just who to give it to - an ex-neighbor who likes to "exchange gifts" with me every year so she can get something new and give away something she already has and doesn't want.  She doesn't even bother to make the boxes look unopened anymore.  I've told her we really don't need to exchange gifts any longer and that she can just send us a card if she so desires and her answer was "I hate cards.  I'd rather give you something."  Apparently it's too much effort to just throw the unwanted item away or to say, "Hey, do you want this roasting pan/CD/bath soap I didn't want?"

::)
that was johnny carson that said that, and he also said if you do get one its the best regift in the world, because they last for years and years, also suitable as a door stop

Beautiful mind

Offline sagebrush

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 08:20:06 pm »
I love good fruitcake and have always wanted to taste a rum or bourbon fruitcake such as was described in 'A Christmas Memory'.  Any sources?  Any recipes?   Yum yum...

:)

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 04:10:37 pm »
I LOVE a good fruitcake
My favourite is the one with the fruit (nice large pieces) just barely held together with a golden warm-flavoured batter.

almonds on the top
and a nice cup of tea or even a rum drink.

I havent found a good one this year - yet , and it's past New Years.
I guess I'll have to put out the word that I want some next year.
Just a piece or two, and a quiet time to enjoy it.
MMMMMMM

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 09:52:49 am »
fruitcake   Yuck

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!