Author Topic: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?  (Read 278326 times)

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2008, 07:50:21 pm »
The husband, the son and yours truely will dine and play games at the daugthers home.....It'll be fun :)
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2008, 07:53:11 pm »
The husband, the son and yours truely will dine and play games at the daugthers home.....It'll be fun :)

That sounds sweet and cozy, Berit. When I was married, and if my husband and I stayed home, we made a tradition of watching "It's a Wonderful Life" on New Year's Eve. I loved it, and that is a fond memory.

Do you know what delights you will prepare for dinner yet?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2008, 11:19:07 pm »
I don't have any special plans.  I'm just looking forward to staying in and playing with Vivien and sleeping in on Thursday morning.  Hooray for a day off from work!

I bought some champagne and creme de cassis so that I can make kir royales tomorrow night to celebrate.  So, that will be a treat. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2008, 11:52:10 pm »
We will toast you with pomegranate juice since my friends are all teetotallers, friend Amanda!! I did my drinking tonight...a Maker's Make Manhattan while soaking my black-eyed peas! Yes, Shasta, we are planning on having ham, not hog jowls, and escarole, not cabbage. Greens are lucky, because they represent green paper money. Ham is lucky because the pig moves forward while rooting, meaning progress. No lobster for the New Year's, because they move backwards! Do you hear me, friend Paul??!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2008, 11:55:22 pm »
I didn't know the symbolism. Interesting!

What about the black-eyed peas? What do they signify?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2008, 12:01:01 am »
Legumes symbolize coins and since they grow larger while cooking, that represents prosperity. Also, during the US Civil War in the battle of Vicksburg, the residents ran out of food and thought they were doomed but then they discovered a cache of black eyed peas that tided them over. Since then, they've been considered lucky!

Read more about the symbolism of New Year's food here!

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/holidays/newyearsday/luckyfoods?mbid=e122908
"chewing gum and duct tape"

pnwDUDE

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2008, 12:10:46 am »
Steve's mom, his sister and her husband are here. We are having neighbors on both sides (up and down the hill) over and doing a prime rib with the fixins'. I bought the prime rib today. I got 'prime' which is the best USDA cut money can buy but it is once a year and our gift to people close to us during the holidays. The champagne (which is really asti spumante because champagne gives folks headaches) is on ice. We'll probably get a bit tipsy before midnight so we will dabble at karaoke and carry on. New Years day? Football and junk food, thank you very much  ;D.

Brad

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2008, 12:12:09 am »
Well its 5pm New Years Eve and I have two bbq's to go to, one with my family and the other at a friends place.
Its mid summer and the temperature today is in the 80's, it doesn't get fully dark until about 10pm so its perfect night for a bbq. NZ is the second country to see the New Year so I'll be thinking of ya all in 7 hours time.

Happpy and Prosperous New Year Everyone

Cheers (almost literally  ;D)
Matt

pnwDUDE

« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2008, 12:16:54 am »
Well its 5pm New Years Eve and I have two bbq's to go to, one with my family and the other at a friends place.
Its mid summer and the temperature today is in the 80's, it doesn't get fully dark until about 10pm so its perfect night for a bbq. NZ is the second country to see the New Year so I'll be thinking of ya all in 7 hours time.

Matt

Matt, it's hard for us up here (with 3 feet of snow on the ground) to imagine enjoying the holidays at bbq's and beautiful summer temps! Enjoy friend.

Brad

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2008, 12:19:58 am »

Matt

Matt, you should log on just after it turns 2009 in New Zealand and send us a message from the future!! ;)

Have fun at your barbeque! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.