Author Topic: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?  (Read 278334 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?
« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2011, 09:41:09 pm »
Happy New Year, Brokies!  And yes, please, a nicer 2012.  This year come on a bear.  :P

I've been invited to have drinks with upstairs neighbors, so it's a cozy commute for me.  The masochists adventurers waiting in chilly Times Square are welcome to Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga.

Paul, your dinner sounds scrumptious, and Chrissi, your dinner sounds like one your family will always remember fondly.  It's not the fare, it's who's there that counts.  :-*  Jeff, you have the right idea, ending and starting the year with a laugh.  ;D

John and I celebrated New Year's Eve Eve last night on the lower East side (3 years in a row now) and had drinks, wine, calamari, pate on toast, lamb ragout, coq au vin and creme brulee at Pangea.  Then we saw TinTin in 3D (charming) and wound up, as always, at Cafe Mogador on St. Mark's Place.  Tagine of lamb with apricots and prunes, shrimp in butter sauce, sesame biscuits, aged Scotch, sparkling lemonade, mint tea and cappuccino went down our gullets pronto.  John gave me some spectacular handmade chocolates and cookies and I gave him gloves and earwraps.  Thanks for another lovely memory, dear John!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2011, 10:12:45 pm »

John and I celebrated New Year's Eve Eve last night on the lower East side (3 years in a row now) and had *drinks, wine, calamari, pate on toast, lamb ragout, coq au vin and creme brulee at Pangea.  Then we saw TinTin in 3D (charming) and wound up, as always, at Cafe Mogador on St. Mark's Place.  **Tagine of lamb with apricots and prunes, shrimp in butter sauce, sesame biscuits, aged Scotch, sparkling lemonade, mint tea and cappuccino went down our gullets pronto.  John gave me some spectacular handmade chocolates and cookies and I gave him gloves and earwraps.  Thanks for another lovely memory, dear John!  :-*

*/ **Why did I eat (and drink) mostly all of that?? It started with the calamari--I was gobbling the plate as you walked in!   ::) ::) :P

THANK YOU Meryl for the lovely, lovely evening (which henceforth will be called the Tintin New Year's, I suppose!) and for the lovely gloves and earwraps--it's going to be 17F Tuesday night!!   :o :o

Have a safe and fun New Year's, everybody!! Happy 2012!!  :D :D :D :D

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09:21 pm »
For the first time in several years, I was with family rather than friends. My spouse always dictated the events of New Years in earlier years, and he always wanted to avoid parties and retire early. But ever since our grandson has been born, he's shown new interest in doing things. So, yesterday we went south to Colorado Springs to celebrate a family wedding, with my daughter and her son. We had a great time, and I'm back home relaxing. I missed being with my friends, but I'm sure I'll catch up with them later.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #203 on: December 30, 2012, 11:59:33 am »
I plan ta be at home all snug :)
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #204 on: December 30, 2012, 01:04:49 pm »
I'm ducking ...

From the end of the world (maya, 2012) to the worse year of the century (2013) - Yikes  :laugh: Good luck one & all.

2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #205 on: December 30, 2012, 02:29:58 pm »
Doing nothing this year. 

No one got presents from me this year due to a very expensive car repair ($1200) that hit the first of December and I am also still paying on my medical bills from this last July ($1850 and I am now down to $1100) and my tax bill is coming due as well at the end of January.

Life is very expensive these days.  No money for fun things.  :(

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #206 on: December 30, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »
Sophytofy and I are joining forces and have booked a hotel room in Stockholm on NYE. Fireworks, food, music and a museum visit are on the agenda.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #207 on: December 30, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »
I'm going to Watch Meeting services at church with my mom.  Commonly called watchnight services, Watchnight service has added significance and history in the African-American community in the United States, since many slaves were said to have gathered in churches on New Year's Eve, in 1862, to await news and confirmation of the enactment of the Emancipation Proclamation by President Abraham Lincoln, on January 1, 1863.

I haven't been in years, and I feel it is time.  Besides, its free and a good time is had by all!  We often go out to breakfast after service.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #208 on: December 30, 2012, 04:35:22 pm »
I will probably be channel surfing.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #209 on: December 30, 2012, 05:07:16 pm »
I'm going to Watch Meeting services at church with my mom.  Commonly called watchnight services, Watchnight service has added significance and history in the African-American community in the United States, since many slaves were said to have gathered in churches on New Year's Eve, in 1862, to await news and confirmation of the enactment of the Emancipation Proclamation by President Abraham Lincoln, on January 1, 1863.

I haven't been in years, and I feel it is time.  Besides, its free and a good time is had by all!  We often go out to breakfast after service.

That's one of the most meaningful New Years Eve celebrations I've ever heard of.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre