Author Topic: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?  (Read 278372 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?
« Reply #400 on: January 01, 2022, 04:26:50 pm »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             On the eve, the things I did were so boring I couldn't even remember them today. But I do remember making a batch of preserved lemon crinkle cookies:
https://food52.com/recipes/87030-preserved-lemon-crinkle-cookie-recipe-jesse-szewczyk
I spent a lot of time looking out at the snow falling and being grateful that it would calm the winds and stop the fires.

Today has been livelier. Nowadays I have two Sherlock Holmes book club meetings a month. On Saturday, I meet with British and American fans on Zoom and on Sunday I meet in person at a downtown pub. My oldest grandson has started coming to the one on Sunday. Everybody loves him.

I also started cleaning. I cleaned my kitchen sink and then I promptly ruined the job by starting to clean my cooktop. Chuck inspired me to clean that and Jeff inspired me to clean in general. I did a mountain of laundry, inspired by Chrissi who says to put off laundry so as not to get Thor entangled in it. I cleaned a bunch of clothes that were in my garage from the cleanout of Adam's new house in Februrary-March. The Action Center wouldn't accept winter clothing but they will now. Those 1000 families that lost everything in the fire will need clothes. I've also offered up the top floor of my house for a displaced family to stay.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #401 on: January 01, 2022, 07:52:53 pm »
Hello Bettermost friends!

;D

Last night I spent the night alone, as I wanted.   I had done my grocery shopping online a week prior, and I included a bunch of the foods that I would've had at a NYE party.  So after I packed away my groceries, I made myself a meal of "pigs in a blanket", some mac & cheese, some buffalo chicken, and some mozzarella bites (small round pockets stuffed with mozzarella cheese).

I stayed up and watched Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen ring in the New Year on CNN, and Anderson can't hold his liquor!  LOL

After the ball dropped, I spent some time pulling the tinsel off the tree, and took down my Christmas cards.  I dismantle Christmas a little at a time.  I may pack away some more stuff tomorrow, but the ornaments are still on the tree, and I still light it up, as well as the lights on the window.

New Year's Day I slept in, and made a lunch out of the leftovers from the prior night.   I spent the day relaxing and watching Hallmark Christmas movies, before they go away for another year.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #402 on: January 01, 2022, 08:18:39 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #403 on: January 01, 2022, 08:37:22 pm »
I spent some time pulling the tinsel off the tree, and took down my Christmas cards.  I dismantle Christmas a little at a time.  I may pack away some more stuff tomorrow, but the ornaments are still on the tree, and I still light it up, as well as the lights on the window.

I didn't know anybody used tinsel anymore. I've seen photos from the Forties and Fifties where there is so much tinsel you can't even see the tree.  :laugh:

I got on a real tear today. My mother always made Christmas go away on New Year's Day. Typically I don't, but I guess I got super motivated, so today everything went away except my little tree. I figured I'd let it up one more night.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #404 on: January 01, 2022, 09:55:56 pm »
That was hilarious! Somehow I think it was not really Barbara Wawa, was it?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #405 on: January 01, 2022, 10:46:46 pm »
An old favorite:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #406 on: January 02, 2022, 06:21:25 am »
An old favorite:

Oh, I like that! I know you're posted it before, but I'm not sure I took the time to watch it before. Thanks for (re)posting! :)

I like reading about your different New Year's Eves.

Dinner for One?

Oy, we didn't watch Dinner for One this year. We skipped it in the afternoon and slept through it in the evning :laugh: Am I still German now? Guess they'll snatch my card ;) :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2022, 12:15:37 pm »
I didn't know anybody used tinsel anymore. I've seen photos from the Forties and Fifties where there is so much tinsel you can't even see the tree.  :laugh:

I got on a real tear today. My mother always made Christmas go away on New Year's Day. Typically I don't, but I guess I got super motivated, so today everything went away except my little tree. I figured I'd let it up one more night.

I've always liked tinsel, but we stopped using it when we got cats.  Mom had heard that the cats will try to eat it, and it could become an obstruction and kill them.   No pets here, so not a problem!  :)

I did pack away some more stuff, so all the Christmas stuff is out of the kitchen now.   I may take the ornaments off the tree later, if I'm in the mood too, but the tree will stay lit, and the lights on the windows will be up until next weekend.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #409 on: January 02, 2022, 12:16:16 pm »
That was hilarious! Somehow I think it was not really Barbara Wawa, was it?

It was Cheri Oteri from Saturday Night Live.