Author Topic: We've got a big anniversary and movie event coming up  (Read 10858 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
We've got a big anniversary and movie event coming up
« on: November 21, 2006, 09:35:37 pm »
And I haven't heard one little word about commemorations! Are we drunk on Blog quizzes? (yes, I blame you Barb-okay, I blame myself as well).

O0

Heathen

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: We've got a big anniversary and movie event coming up
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 09:48:39 pm »
Blame away.  I am indeed the culprit.

Forgive me my daftness, but what were the official release dates again?
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:54:31 pm »
Blame away.  I am indeed the culprit.

Forgive me my daftness, but what were the official release dates again?

December 9th 2005 was the original limited release opening in the US, which I believe was five cities.

One week later (Dec 16) it opened more widely but was still limited. Paul (southendmd) saw it in Boston on Dec 16. I saw it in Boston on Dec 27th.

It opened in Maine the first weekend in January (New Year's weekend?). We tried to see it and ended up watching Casanova, instead, because BBM was sold out.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 10:03:44 pm »
I think we each have to celebrate our own personal anniversary.  Few of us actually saw it on the sacred opening of 12/9. 

As Leslie said, I saw it on its opening date in Boston on a cold, nasty, rainy Friday 12/16 at the Coolidge Corner Theatre (yes, the very one we rented on Boston Brokie weekend in September). 

So, lovely Brokies, celebrate your own special anniversary, be it December or January (or later).  Revel in the remembrance of its impact on you that first time.  The nagging questions and feelings and headaches. 

And, ultimately the joy of sharing with a world-ful of lovely Brokies who know just how you feel.

One glorious year of obsessive, shared affection for two cowboys who taught us about love.

Cheers, Brokies,
Paul
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:21:39 pm by southendmd »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 03:37:01 am »
I saw it December 16th ish. I had never heard of it until a radio review that caught my attention-serendipity-and I ran out to see it as soon as it opened. This relationship is meant to be. I have been having off and on bouts of Brokaholism lately, I think from this big anniversary on the horizon. Remember the "when will the devastation end" thread? I've been asking myself that and trying to figure out why I am still in the grip of this story.

The movie premieres on HBO in 5 days and I wonder if I'll watch it.

Any old way-happy anniversary! I need to figure out something special to celebrate one of the best experiences of my life.

O0

Heathen

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 12:17:14 pm »
The date for me will be December 18 (the day before Jakey's birthday  ;D )--and I got the ticket stub to prove it!

The film must have opened here in Philadelphia that Friday. Here in the city, the Ritz Theaters showed it on three screens in two theaters--that shoulda clued me in it was gonna be big.  ;D The 18th was Sunday--Sunday afternoon being about the only time I got time for a movie--and my friend John and I went to the 4:00 show. As we were in line for our tickets, I noticed a sign that said that the 3:00 show had been sold out!  :o

Silly me. When I first saw an ad in the Friday newspaper the week before, I said to myself. "I remember that story from The New Yorker. I better see it right away when it opens. This won't stick around long."  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 01:58:44 pm »
I'm going to spend the month of December celebrating being pissed off because I wanted to see the movie and it was only playing in one theater in my entire god-damned time zone.  >:( ::) :P And, man, I was lurking on IMDb then, and there was someone who had a sig that said something like "Dec 9 if you're lucky, Dec 16 for everyone else!" Made me soooooooo grumpy. And then suddenly everyone had seen the movie, and I had to stop reading because there wasn't anything to read except spoilers and trolls.  :( )

(I need a "I'm going through my moody time again; please put me on 'ignore'" smiley.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 03:31:02 pm »
(I need a "I'm going through my moody time again; please put me on 'ignore'" smiley.)

{{{{Mel}}}}

:-*

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 04:08:11 pm »
Nah, I think I'll put you on  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

O0

Heathen

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 10:09:42 am »
No, I could never put you on ignore, but bytch away anyway, U are so charming when U do!! (Like Jack) Let's have a celebratory chat on December 9 anyway, I will post about it on Sosh, and we can continue talking about our personal anniversaries here. Mine is not until mid-January, my daughter took me to see the movie.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 12:30:53 pm »
I keep my first theater viewing ticket stub with me whereever i go in my "wallet"  it says Jan 22nd 2006.  I was looking for Brokeback Mountain in theaters around here and it just wasnt coming.  Anyway I grabbed my daughter and entourage and finally saw it.  Only had to drive 45 minutes away..  My husband had a great Idea of putting the ticket stub inside my poster frame of Brokeback.  I think it will be safer there because I want to preserve the stub, its history!
 ;)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 01:18:26 pm »
I'm going to spend the month of December celebrating being pissed off because I wanted to see the movie and it was only playing in one theater in my entire god-damned time zone.  >:( ::) :P And, man, I was lurking on IMDb then, and there was someone who had a sig that said something like "Dec 9 if you're lucky, Dec 16 for everyone else!" Made me soooooooo grumpy. And then suddenly everyone had seen the movie, and I had to stop reading because there wasn't anything to read except spoilers and trolls.  :( )

That was me too, Mel!  i was sure there was some conspiracy at work...it was mid-January before my first viewing.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 01:30:32 pm »
SouthendMD,

You saw it at the Coolidge Corner Theatre?  Hope the sound system has gotten better.  I saw it on 1/6 or 1/7 at one of those newer up to date  screen cinemas.  I could hear the crickets chirpin in the background.  Real nice.  It sold out, but I got took off a 1/2 day of work to get there real early!
I was determined as I've never been determined before to see this movie.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 02:25:09 pm »
I actually posted some thoughts on my anniversary, if anyone is interested.

Here's the link:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/26460.html

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 06:13:23 pm »
For me, it wasn't until late January! Partly that was because December was really busy for me, and I didn't get a chance. But also, it was because I wasn't in much of a hurry. I thought it would be good and all, but I wasn't all that excited about it. Finally, I had a night off to go to the movies, and I picked BBM only because it had the most convenient showtimes. If I had known that from that point on my life would never be the same, maybe I'd have picked "Munich" instead!

Kidding, of course. (And I never did see "Munich.")

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 07:19:43 pm »

Kidding, of course. (And I never did see "Munich.")

I did see Munich. And all I can remember from it was that it was bloody and Eric Bana was good looking.

As for BBM...well....

L

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 12:06:52 pm »
Looking at my stubs I saw it about a week after it came out in the UK.
14 January in Dundee with my 2 mates and then again on 22nd with my Mum.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 12:30:11 pm »
I keep my first theater viewing ticket stub with me whereever i go in my "wallet"  it says Jan 22nd 2006.  I was looking for Brokeback Mountain in theaters around here and it just wasnt coming.  Anyway I grabbed my daughter and entourage and finally saw it.  Only had to drive 45 minutes away..  My husband had a great Idea of putting the ticket stub inside my poster frame of Brokeback.  I think it will be safer there because I want to preserve the stub, its history! ;)

Boo-hoo, I didn't think to keep my ticket stub.   >:(  But saw it the day before you did, Jan. 21st.  I'd read an interview with Ang Lee in the KC Star the month before and had followed the news and reviews -- it was in limited release at the time, had to drive all the way to Cupcakeland (a/k/a the Kansas suburbs) to see it in a theatre that sold out in 20 minutes. Three Saturdays later, it opened in a theatre much closer to home and had to go see it again--it kind of all widened out from there. Now I'm on two forums, helping on a newsletter for one of them, working on a fanfic story, have donated DVD copies to two college libraries  and own two of my own, wide screen and full screen!

Talk about divine madness.....

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 03:31:18 pm »
January 7th for me, with a hundred mile round trip to see it.

I will never forget the feeling of seeing the croud out front and wondering if we would be able to get tickets. And I will never forget the first time I heard Jack tell L.D. Newsome: "Now you sit down you ole' sonofabitch" and everyone in the theater applauded.  8)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 03:58:47 pm »
I drove four hours one way to see it during the first week in January. (And then I drove back.)

And then, the next week, it opened in my town. Last minute change in the schedule; the little local theater chain managed to pick up maybe four or five prints and served as a test for how BBM would play in smaller towns, at least ski towns and college towns.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 03:13:28 pm »
The big day is here!  Any more of you Brokies have stories to tell of your first viewing?  8)

If you have a poem or nice thought or pic to share, you're welcome to post it HERE in the new Cult thread.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 04:17:29 pm »
For me it was March, 21st. I still have my ticket stub from my first viewing. And from all following viewings, too  :).

Last Dec or January, I had never heard of BBM. First time I heard of it was a week or two before its release in Germany; some time in March.

Sounded interesting, but the crucial point when I decided to see it was when I saw a documentary on TV. It was about the reactions in the American West towards the movie. That and very positive reviews in art magazines gave me the impression this movie could really be different from the usual Hollywood stuff and well worth going to cinema. Usually I don't go to cinema - err well I didn't use to go by then. That's another thing that has changed with BBM.

Kerstin and I still have our white wine from Anke from the Euro Brokie meeting. We plan to drink it and see BBM together on our one year celebration next March  :D.

mvansand76

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 06:34:29 pm »
I carry the ticket stub in my wallet like a lucky charm... here it is... 10th of January 2006, Finchley, London....

;D

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 06:35:22 pm »
Why is the picture so huge? Oh gosh, I am so sorry, I thought it was thumbnail size...  >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 06:43:57 pm »
Why is the picture so huge? Oh gosh, I am so sorry, I thought it was thumbnail size...  >:(

I carry the ticket stub in my wallet like a lucky charm... here it is... 10th of January 2006, Finchley, London....

;D

Melissa, your picture looks really good from here!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 07:19:37 pm »
I have all my ticket stubs. I keep them in a little envelope, the kind they give you when you buy postage stamps at the post office, and they are safely tucked inside my individual copy of the story.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 08:09:19 pm »
That's a nice way to preserve them, Jeff.  That way you always know where to find them.  Mine are in a file folder for Brokeback in my filing cabinet, along with other BBM stuff.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 09:11:10 pm »
Not knowing that I would fall so deeply and totally under the Brokeback spell, I threw away my first 2 stubs-even as I was doing it I questioned if I should be. I have all the others-13 I think) however. It has been a crazy year, the best and the most stressful that I think I've had an a very long time.

Happy anniversary my friends-my world would not be the same without you.

Big nappy heads
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
and heartfelt kisses
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Heathen

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2006, 02:22:14 am »
February 9 (didn't keep the stub - thermal printing, would've faded by now anyway unless I'd kept them in the fridge*, and that would be silly)

*with the photographic film - remember film?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 04:19:44 am »
I carry a couple of my stubs in my wallet too. 

Hey it was great anniversary chatting with some of you!  Chat just officially wound up, 4 hours after it started!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 04:24:14 am »
I had fun chatting with all of you all too!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 05:36:44 am »
Missed the chat.  Blast!

I first saw BBM in its first week of limited release in SF, when it was playing in 3 of the 5 theatres at Embarcadero and was selling out every show.  It did that for weeks.  Yet another reason to love San Francisco.  As more people at work saw it I remember the conversations that came about in the green room between shows.  From the people who were disappointed by what they saw as a lack of emotion, those that sympathized greatly with the wives, those that saw it as a great movie, and me who was obsessed by it.  I think my final theatre viewing count was 14.

What a year it's been, sharing thoughts and time and experiences with all of you.  Can you believe none of us knew each other a year ago?  I will never forget the Castro screening and all of the events surrounding it and getting to meet so many of you.  So wish I could have made it to the East Coast gatherings by more than the phone (and THAT was such a great time), but I will be in Alberta.

Now that I'm thiking about it, I remember my initial reaction to the movie more clearly.  I was one of the delayed reaction crowd.  Thought it was "good" when I was in the theatre after seeing it for the first time and then couldn't stop thinking about it for days on end.  I remember the feeling of withdrawl I would have if too many days went by that I didn't see it again.  I remember telling people that the reason I kept seeing it was that "it inspires me to love."  Oh! it's all coming back to me!  I remember the hours spent nightly on the imdb message board.  I remember how great it was to discover Chez Tremblay and how great it felt when I started learning your names and becoming integrated into the community.  I remember the exodus to BetterMost when imdb became hostile, the dedicated scramble to preserve our historic posts before they were gone.  I have the archive bookmarked although I haven't been there in awhile and my computer's busted (I'm using Nick's).  That would be a good way to celebrate the annniversay.  Anyone have that link?

I am so grateful that the cult of Brokeback is still here a year down the line.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 12:37:05 pm »
One archive link comin' up, cowboy: http://www.geocities.com/bbmarchive/

Yeah, those were the days.  I had friends on LiveJournal that were Brokies from before the film opened, and I went to the film with three of them the day after it opened.  We saw it at 10 in the morning, and it was still sold out.  Afterwards, we ate brunch at the Rodeo Bar & Grill and didn't get out of there til around 5:00, we were gabbing so much.  I wonder if the ladies room still has the heart on the wall with Ennis Loves Jack written in it.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 07:37:24 pm »
Now that I'm thiking about it, I remember my initial reaction to the movie more clearly.  I was one of the delayed reaction crowd.  Thought it was "good" when I was in the theatre after seeing it for the first time and then couldn't stop thinking about it for days on end.  I remember the feeling of withdrawl I would have if too many days went by that I didn't see it again.  I remember telling people that the reason I kept seeing it was that "it inspires me to love."  Oh! it's all coming back to me!  I remember the hours spent nightly on the imdb message board.  I remember how great it was to discover Chez Tremblay and how great it felt when I started learning your names and becoming integrated into the community.  I remember the exodus to BetterMost when imdb became hostile, the dedicated scramble to preserve our historic posts before they were gone.  I have the archive bookmarked although I haven't been there in awhile

I am so grateful that the cult of Brokeback is still here a year down the line.

Howdy Kirk -

What I quoted in your initial reaction paragraph is so similar to almost everything I experienced, I could have written it!  :laugh: Glad you’ll be goin to Alberta - me too!   :)

This thread actually got me to make a special trip to the library today to look at the San Francisco gay papers from a year ago so I could reconstruct my introduction to BBM with the correct dates!  So thank you all for this inspiration!  :-*

I first heard about BBM in a San Francisco gay paper, The San Francisco Bay Times, December 1, 2005 issue.  It had a full page story with a big photo – the one with Jack lyin on the grass and Ennis standin near him holdin his rifle pointed down towards the ground.  This article caught my attention.  I read it and it seemed like a movie that I wanted to see, even though I see very few movies. (While I was in the library, I made a copy of this article for my BBM collection, since this was my very first awareness of BBM.)  The next week I saw an ad for BBM in the other San Francisco gay paper, The Bay Area Reporter (BAR).  The ad had a note that there would be a special screening December 7 at the Embarcadero Theater in San Francisco and that passes would be given out Dec. 5 at 12 noon at the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Office on Castro Street.  I took an early lunch so I could get to the HRC at 11a.m. to wait on line so I would be sure to get a pass for two admissions.  I must have sensed already, without realizing it, that I HAD to see BBM!!   :laugh:  Unfortunately, not being a movie buff and not readin the small print, I did not realize that the pass did not guarantee admission to the screening. So when my partner, David, and I got to the Embarcadero Theater 15 minutes before the screening, we could not get in!  I was very upset and disappointed and felt foolish about not knowing that we should have gotten there much earlier.   >:( :'(   I still wanted to see BBM so I told David we should go to see it after it opened here December 9.

Meanwhile, one of his friends E-mailed David a link to the short story and he forwarded it to me, since he knew I wanted to see the movie.  I was debating whether I should read the short story before we saw the movie.  Since I often have trouble following movie plots and remembering characters, I decided to read it first. I know I read it on my pc December 17 – and cried and cried! Unfortunately I did not keep my  ticket stub, but fortunately I charged it and I just located my Visa statement showing that I first saw BBM the next day, December 18 at the Stonestown Theater in San Francisco!  :o I think this must have been the first time or close to the first time I ever charged a movie ticket instead of payin cash!  The next week I just HAD to see BBM again, so one day when David had other plans, I left work early to sneak off to a late afternoon matinee . . . and the rest is history!!  ;)
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?