Author Topic: Brokeback & the Academy  (Read 1972 times)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
Brokeback & the Academy
« on: November 26, 2006, 01:18:13 pm »
Courtesy of the Dave Cullen forum:

The Not-So-Secret Prejudices of AMPAS

In an insightful article for his "Gold Derby" column, Tom O'Neil, discusses the 2006 Oscar race.  While pondering the question, "Will secret prejudice hurt Dreamgirls  at the Oscars?" he makes the case that, based on Brokeback Mountain's  Best Picture Oscar loss for 2005, this is a very real possibility.  He notes that "so-called liberal Hollywood" revealed it had very real prejudices when it snubbed BBM:

"Last weekend I had a long, leisurely breakfast with one of Hollywood's most notable studio chiefs.  While we chatted casually, he said, in between the lattes and bagels matter-of-factly, what we all know but seldom admit out loud: 'Of course, Brokeback Mountain  didn't win best picture because of the gay thing.'

He's an academy member, seasoned Oscar veteran, a 'str8' chap, as the lingo goes, and not affiliated with Brokeback.

'I couldn't believe how many academy members even refused to watch it,' he added, shaking his head.  'There's no doubt in my mind that we saw the secret, ugly side of Hollywood when the best picture winner was announced. . . What we saw was a disgusting display of anti-gay bigotry'.

Click on the following link to read more of this fascinating article.

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2006/11/will_secret_pre.html
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Brokeback & the Academy
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 03:22:39 pm »
We should all protest this year, and every year, in person at the Kodak Theater. :D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback & the Academy
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:17:39 pm »
I'll tell you what, if I lived anywhere near L.A., I'd have already organized such a protest.  My sign would either say "Liberal and Open-Minded, My Ass" or "Oscars Relevant?  If gay bashing is relevant, then yes."  Hell - I'd just carry both of them.

As I've said many times here and never tire of saying again, those farging iceholes are dead to me now.  Their opinions ain't worth a shit to me anymore.  Even if my favorites win, it won't mean squat.  Maybe I'm naive, but I really thought they were better than what they proved themselves to be  that night - bigoted, hateful bastards.  I felt a little piece of my soul fall away when Jack Nicholson said that... word.  I can never get it back.  Yes, I'm waxing way melodramatic here, but those people pissed me off.  Permanently.

I'll never watch or give a damn about their bullshit awards again.  Doesn't matter who's hosting it (oh, and NOW they tap Ellen Degeneres???  What a bunch of hypocritical sacks of shite.) or who's nominated, or who wins or who loses.  Easiest decision I've ever made.

(I know - don't sugar-coat it, Barb - tell us how you really feel...)
No more beans!