Author Topic: Are you over it?  (Read 6337 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Are you over it?
« on: November 27, 2006, 03:16:33 am »
There wasn't much commentary here about BbM on HBO tonight so I'm wondering-are you over it? I don't mean the love of the movie-I wouldn't expect that to ever go away-but the intensity and connecting thread that links us?

I don't read every single new post in every single thread anymore, I can go a couple of days without logging in-absolutely unheard of 6 months ago, and I don't think my world is coming to an end if a Tremblyan goes by the wayside. I'm getting over my sadness at the loss of some CT friends. I watch the movie very rarely and the pain the sound track causes is still too much for me so it sits in my reliquary.

Six months ago I feared that my emotion over this movie would change, would become less somehow. It did and it didn't. And while my attachments to all things BbM have changed, my obsession remains-I still feel this story deep into the fiber of my being.

So, a question I've asked before-where are you in your process? (And please someone be as nutty as me-I already worry about myself)

roux

O0

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 03:49:06 am by RouxB »

Heathen

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Are you over it?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 03:33:42 am »
This movie touched my soul.  It opened me up and shined a light into places I was afraid to look too closely at.  It freed me from the mistakes of my past. Allowed me to forgive myself.   I don't think I will ever get over this film,  I don't think there will ever come a time when it fails to move me and it will always be one of those watershed films that I watch on special occassions.  It will always be a film I defend vehemently and recommend to everyone.

I was lucky, my significant other loved the film too so we talked a lot and the friend who took me to see it loved it so we talked a lot and I work with a group of gay men who all went cowboy for awhile because they loved it so much so I started lunching with a bunch of them and we TALKED.  So I was lucky I had real life friends to talk to about this subtle, life changing masterpiece....I had a couple of really nasty experiences on the IMBd BBM board last winter and only lurked there occassionally afterward, I hate meaness and petty intolerant people.  For these reasons I have never felt the obsessive need to chat about it on line.  Until coming here...this place has an addictive quality, for one thing there's more community here, with a Brokeback, multisexual flavor not limited to just film discussion, and there's none of the obivious ugliness that you have on IMDb, it's better hidden here and no trolls.  I don't know that I can stay though.  Bob's already noticing that I'm spending more and more time here.     
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 06:58:01 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 09:36:37 am »
I don't get TV at all (too cheap for satellite, and besides, DVDs and iTunes don't have commercials). And it's a night before a work day, so I didn't feel like getting out the DVD to watch in sympathy. And I was feeling a little sick, so I went to bed early.

But mostly... well, I haven't watched BBM since August. I just haven't felt a NEED to, and it didn't seem like the sort of thing to force. I've re-read the story since then -- there's something to be said about a story that can be read in half an hour, and the lessening impact just allows me to function like a normal human being in the hours afterwards. But I haven't found the need to set aside a couple hours and watch the movie. I'm finding other things interesting again... some new things, some old things that had burned me out in the past.

So, am I over it? Yes, in the sense of no longer needing to watch the movie again and again. Yes, in the sense that I don't go into the Open Forum every morning and post something. But, well, I'm not going to forget what I learned from the movie, even if I still don't know what to do with it.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 01:10:20 pm »
Howdy, Roux, and all my BetterMost pardners:

Well, I'm happy to report that I'm not over this--not by a long shot! This ain't no little thing here, to be sure! I caught the end of Brokeback Mountain last night on HBO, at the moment of the "Do you ever get the feeling others know?" exchange; I found it quite by chance by flipping the channels.

I noticed it was showing on one of the regular HBO venues, and also at the same time on HBO's Spanish-language channel. Though my knowledge of Spanish is extremely rudimentary, I thought it would be fun to watch the movie through the end dubbed in Spanish. I noticed that the actor dubbing for Ennis said the Spanish equivalent of 'deceased' at the moment of the postcard receipt, and it was fun to hear the same man mimic Heath's hmmming, and the delicate giggle of the actress dubbing for Junior.

The closing shot faded out, and the credits started to roll, and the tears started to flow down my face all over again, just like I was seeing this beautiful story for the first time. My love, sympathy, and concern for Ennis was just as vivid and compelling as ever, as was my gratitude for Jack's gentle, nurturing spirit, and my regret for a lost moment in time stung at my heart as mysteriously as before, with the strange, inscrutable mountain itself looming over my rapt spirit.

I was amazed at the enduring power of this great work of art, which came through with such force even through the medium of a foreign language. Something has changed within me because of my encounter with Jack and Ennis, and, like Mel has intimated, I'm not at all sure I'll ever be able to fully explain it. But I will use the rest of my lifetime in the attempt.

With gratitude and love for you all,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:16:07 pm by moremojo »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:26:59 pm »
Scott that was beautiful!! You captured the feeling I have so well! The part that gets to me is when the last music swells at the end and you think simultaneously "Yes!" and "NOOO!!" giving in to the power of the mountain, and yet not wanting it to be over.

BetterMost has kept the magic of Brokeback Mountain alive for me, the laughing over the funny things and the crying over the tragedies we have gone through together. Also, meeting Annie Proulx, being a moderator, and planning for an event in 2007 has kept the obsession alive, and even intensified it. But most of all, it has been meeting Brokies in person. I had the most wonderful time meeting sfericsf on Saturday along with EDelMar--when he hugged me he literally swept me off my feet and it was like being hugged by Ennis himself!! There is nothing quite so satisfying as being with others who share your passions and love you unconditionally. That's what Ennis learned and what BetterMost holds for each and every one of us.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 02:20:49 pm »
Hey RouxB -

Long time no (yet again).  I've been thinking about this as well, esp after I noticed a member of the SF crowd seems to have left us.

But, Scott, you said it so well.  I will never be over the movie.  I read just your words & still welled up!  And RouxB, I too cannot listen to the CD yet (still unwrapped although I try to listen to most of Erics gift CD - still having trouble w/ that one song, Eric!).  But I am far less obsessed with the Brokeback community.  I have gone several weeks at a time not checking in.  And I read far fewer posts and respond to less. 

Despite that, as with Front-Ranger, I wouldn't ever want to loose contact w/ the people I met (and hopefully the people I will meet in Alberta).  Despite many differences, we are forever connected by the impact Brokeback had on us.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 02:36:35 pm »
Like LJ said (how many times have I said that here?), I'll never be over this movie.  And at this point, I'm still not over my obsession with it.  Yes, it's waned a bit since the earlier days, but I still rarely go more than a day without checking in here.  And seeing it last night on HBO for the first time in over a month (and hearing the announcer say "Coming up next:  Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal star in Academy Award Winner (pitooie on them) Ang Lee's 'Brokeback Mountain'" - chills!) was like putting out the fire with gasoline.  I still shuddered when Ennis thought of Jack being killed, I still wept from the beginning of the Lightning Flat scene on, and my heart still skipped a beat when Ennis stepped away from that closet with those tears in his eyes.  And like I posted right afterwards, I realized that I need this movie to make me cry - it's the only one (hell, the only thing) that can.

As time goes by, I'd like to hope that I'll move on from this particular obsession.  I'm sure I will - I always do.  And in many ways I have.  I couldn't begin to appreciate any other movie for months after first seeing this one (and then seeing it again and again and again).  I worried I'd never be able to.  But my passion for all movies has since returned, and I've been a movie-viewing fool for the last several weeks.  But no matter how many movies come and go, I doubt there'll ever be another one that has this much of an impact on me.  And I'm cool with that.  And no matter what else comes and goes, Jack and Ennis are forever burned into my memory cells.  They have captured my heart and are as real to me as anyone I've ever known.  I wouldn't be able to let them go if I wanted to.  And I don't.

No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:34:04 pm »
Howdy all,

Even though I may not post much, I'm here and my obsession is here still in FULL FORCE.  I've been reading lots of fan fic, and going to all the gatherings I can make it to.

The main reason this movie touched me so much, is because it was basically my life up there on the big screen.  And to see straight audiences flocking to it and applauding it was a validation and an approval of my own life.  I still read posts from newbies on IMDB, and I'm touched and enlightened.

When will all this calm down inside of me?  I don't think it ever will.....

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 03:39:35 pm »
Good question. I haven't watched the movie in a few months now and haven't felt the need, but a few days ago I watched the final confrontation scene and the dozy embrace again and surprisingly it hit me with an even stronger force than even the first time I saw it. The movie will never leave my mind because it has changed something in me, it made me realise that I really do have control over my own life and that I am responsible for my own luck and it has sparked my creativity and made me write short stories again after a long time of having too much pain due to RSI to even feel creativity flowing through me. I will never be over the stunning and heartbreaking story that is told in this movie. Ennis and Jack will never leave my mind, maybe they won't always be on my mind every day, they will always be lurking somewhere in the background.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 08:50:01 pm »
I'm not sure that my obession is still in full force, I'm still on BetterMost and DCF daily.

For me, however, some time ago, it went from being about "Brokeback - the movie" to "Brokeback - the people".  That phrase was originally used by gnash on DCF.  It fits how I feel.

I look forward to the gatherings, not to watch the movie with Brokies, but to reconnect with my friends.  If I'm at a gathering and we don't watch the movie, I'm not bothered by that in the least.  I'd rather socialize with the friends I've made on the forums due to Brokeback.  That is more important to me.

Between my travels and friends, I will always have memories of Brokeback.  Certain songs will come on the radio and bring back memories.  But it's not something I have to see frequently.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:19:28 am »
Nope, not over it.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 11:30:25 am »
Nope, not over it.  :)

Me neither!  ;D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 01:51:15 pm »
Nope, not over it.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 01:54:04 pm »
I'm not sure that my obession is still in full force, I'm still on BetterMost and DCF daily.

For me, however, some time ago, it went from being about "Brokeback - the movie" to "Brokeback - the people".  That phrase was originally used by gnash on DCF.  It fits how I feel.

Totally feels like that for me.. I love the film but its the people that make me stay.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 05:01:47 pm »
Totally feels like that for me.. I love the film but its the people that make me stay.

Yes, the people are so important but also that feeling I had when I left the cinema that first time...I'll never forget that feeling.  Bbm has given me so much in form of friendship, it has learnt me so much about so many things.....Bbm has indeed been a blessing for me. So no. I'm not over it.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 03:36:58 am »
I don´t watch the movie every day like I did in the beginning and I don´t think of Jack and Ennis as often as I used to, but am I over it? No. I´m still figuring out what it is about Brokeback that seems to hit so close to home. The story has also become a part of who I am. I´ve made new friends, found new interests and I´ve been to places I hardly knew existed before. I feel very grateful that I´ve had the opportunity to be a part of it all.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 03:11:54 pm »
I would say I am over it, but I am changed by it, and have only to listen to Brokeback Radio to slip into that warm and familiar place
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 06:48:07 pm »
I quit watching the film years ago because even when I caught snatches of it on cable, it hit me just as hard as it did back in 2005.  So while I still don't mind dissecting parts of the movie from time to time, the answer is no, I'm not over it, and probably never will be. 

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 06:49:50 pm »
I would say I am over it, but I am changed by it, and have only to listen to Brokeback Radio to slip into that warm and familiar place

Yeah, it doesn't take much to bring me to that warm place....and with the songs I've been exposed to by other Brokies, those songs will take me there too.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!