Author Topic: Your favorite Ang Lee movie..  (Read 7810 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Your favorite Ang Lee movie..
« on: April 07, 2006, 07:24:55 pm »
~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Your favorite Ang Lee movie..
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 08:32:38 pm »
I reckon I'm your first voter.  I haven't seen a couple of them - Ride With the Devil (I'd like to see that one) or Hulk (not so much) or Pushing Hands (would kinda like to check that out, too) - but of all the others, I picked The Wedding Banquet because I really loved the character of the boyfriend and how lovingly he took care of his partner.  And I loved, loved, LOVED at the end when the father gives him the money and says, "Thank you for taking such good care of my son."  One of my all-time favorite endings.
No more beans!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:17:21 pm »
I have a 7 year old grand nephew. I would have to say that Ang Lee is our favorite director, for me its BBM, for him The Hulk. Ain't it a wonderful world.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 03:13:44 pm »
It was tough making a choice between the only 2 I have seen and both loved: The Banquet and Sense and Sensibility. But Sense really got me good too, so...
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 05:35:34 pm »
the only ones i have yet to see are ride with the devil and pushing hands.

wedding banquet and crouching tiger are very close in my book, but wedding is a little more special to me because it was the first gay film i saw that was realistic and really spoke to me.  cthd is still a cinematic masterpiece and if you haven't seen it i highly recommend it, even if you hate martial arts or action movies.  it's beautiful.

and i don't know that chosen really belongs up there, it's an extended commerical for bmw.  it's kinda cool, but it's still a commercial.  you can watch it here:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=aeKl0tjVZzE  i wish ang would do a full-length film with clive. 

yes, ang lee is the best in my book.
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 02:54:27 pm »
I haven't seen "The Hulk," but I love Sense and Sensability (my favorite, next to...),  Ride with the Devil, The Ice Storm, Pushing Hands, and The Wedding Baquet, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Eat Drink Man Woman.

The combination of incredible versatility ( Lee can plunk himself down in any corner of the world, and get inside the people whio live there, and make a film about them as if he'd lived there all his life), subtlety, love of beauty, depth--I think he's one of, if not the, greatest lioving director.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 02:56:08 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 02:17:13 pm »
I voted Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It was a great movie.

I haven't seen Sense and Sensibility, The Wedding Banquet, Ride with the Devil, or The Ice Storm yet -- but I want to see them all.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 12:11:28 pm »
I voted Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon too.  It's a difficult decision though.

I am a big fan of Ang Lee's movie.  His movie always captured the repressed feeling so well, beautifully done and very touching.  Being a Chinese myself, I really appreciate his way of portray those repressed emotions in the background of Chinese culture.  With over 5000 years of civilization/tradition, you bet there are a lot of repressed emotions in different forms and areas.  I respect the way he portray the Chinese culture, with such honesty, insightfulness, and proud (yes, proud).  There are some Chinese directors who makes movie about Chinese culture to appeal to the Hollywood taste (or whatever they think is the Hollywood taste), and some Hollywood directors who ridicule Chinese culture either intentionally or unintentionally (because they don't know what they are talking about).  Ang's movie about Chinese culture is such a breath of fresh air.

I like Pushing Hand, Drink, Eat, Men and Women, and The Wedding Banquet all very much and have watched them multiple times.  There are a lot of things in those movies that I can relate to.  As to The Wedding Banquet, looks like it's winning the poll here, is it because of the topic?  Don't get me wrong, I like that movie a lot, and even watched it on the Oscar day to support Ang in spirit :).  Last time I watched the movie, I just noticed that the acting still have some room for improvement.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 03:10:51 am »
As to The Wedding Banquet, looks like it's winning the poll here, is it because of the topic?  Don't get me wrong, I like that movie a lot, and even watched it on the Oscar day to support Ang in spirit :).  Last time I watched the movie, I just noticed that the acting still have some room for improvement.

Personally, I did not vote for The Wedding Banquet solely because of the subject matter - I liked the father/mother/son family interactions too...I'm waffling between it and Eat Drink Man Woman.  The only ones I haven't seen are Hulk and Pushing Hands (not available for me at this time).  I watched both Eat Drink and Wedding Banquet again this weekend.  I thought Eat Drink had more in common with BBM than Banquet.  At first i wondered if this was soley Ang Lee's influence.  But then I realized that Schamus(?) co-wrote Eat Drink AND co-produced BBM so maybe the similarities are due to the combination?  But in still another way, Sense... pulls at me and I can appreciate The Ice Storm for entirely different reasons.  And Crouching Tiger is without peer (need to watch againn post-BBM).  It's just a hard question because you're ranking different aspects of genius.  We probably need a 1 thru n ranking and some complicated algorithm to compile and weigh the responses instead of a simple poll...  :)  But there's really no need to go FURTHER overboard, I suppose.

-Lynne, being overly analytical...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 02:56:47 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 10:56:37 pm »
Can't decide between "The Ice Storm" and "Crouching Tiger".  ???
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi