Author Topic: How Do You Celebrate Christmas?  (Read 10068 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: How Do You Celebrate Christmas?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 02:51:50 am »
What lovely memories and traditions everyone has!

Wish I had some of my own to share, but alas, nothing memorable or special.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 03:01:22 am »
This is his third christmas tree and I was worried at first he would , but he hasn't yet.  :) but we do get him presents and wrap them .He opens them with us on Christmas Eve.

Oh How Cute!!

[[[[Geri]]]]]

[[[[[Ricky]]]]]

I thought I was the only one who wrapped up Christmas presents for my animals!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 03:24:05 pm »
Christmas childhood memories...
As a child, we always had shrimp gumbo on Christmas eve, after we came back from Christmas vigil mass. Always wanted to go to Midnight mass, but "Santa" said that was too late.  You need to be in bed if you want him to pass.

We'd also shoot a bunch of fireworks on X-mas eve.  I don't know where that custom came from in my part of the United States. Older ppl told me that New Years was just another day in the year, so it's possible that fireworks got mixed in with X-mas. It's dying out now, fireworks are prohibited in many areas.

After shooting all of our fireworkes,  we'd go back inside, open smaller presents that we had received from our parents.  Play with the toys until it was time to go to bed around 10:00 PM.  Mom was busy with the camera taking pictures as it was a nuisance. Were not even looking at the camera in the photos, too busy tearing open the tissues and wrappings to see what's inside.

"Santa" would pass during the night and the next morning we'd get real good presents; bicycle, telescope, b-b guns, big lego sets,  tiny b/w tv, the really good stuff.  I only had male siblings, hence the emphasis on action toys. Christmas morning was always very noisey and we'd all be looking for battteries. We'd go and wake our parents (6:45AM) with what we've got.   As we got older, we thanked them for our presents.

OF course,  Christmas day, we'd receive alot of relatives, show off our new toys to our frineds, stuff like that.  All in all, a rather mainstream Holiday experience.
---------------------------

As adults, we all get together at a siblings house on Christmas Day and open presents that we've given each other, that sort of stuff.  I spend Christmas eve with my parents and keep them company. They go to Mass. I usually pass. I have issues with the Catholic Church. We usually go out to eat at a really nice restaurant on Christmas eve.  My mother and I open a few presents on X-mas eve. My father refuses to wait to Christmas Day to open any presents.  He's the one that can't wait anymore.   ;)

Did anyone ever go caroling? Or is that only in England :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 03:40:58 pm »

Did anyone ever go caroling? Or is that only in England :)

We would go caroling when I was young. People don't do this anymore; at least not in my part of the country. I wonder why? The last time I caroled was about 20 years ago. We caroled at a local nursing home. The people there loved it. Everyone there kept handing us cookies and milk.  :)

Yeah, I don't go to Mass anymore either. I was born and raised Catholic, and like you I also have many issues with the Church.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 06:15:48 am »
Here is a lovely yearly Seattle tradition.  It's happening tonight:

The Green Lake Pathway of Lights has delighted and become a holiday tradition for thousands of people from around the region.

The Green Lake Path will come alive with the warm light from 4,000 luminaria marking the 2.8-mile pathway. Following the “string of pearls” around the lake is a great way to get in the mood for the holiday season. To add to the cheer, several youth and adult musical groups will perform near the Aqua Theater and Green Lake Community Center.

Join your friends and family, rain or shine, and enjoy the offerings of area establishments or of the vendors that will be located around the lake during the event.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 07:50:14 am »
How do I celebrate Christmas? So here goes.  :)

After a very busy week at work I just got ready with cleaning the house and now have a moment before what I call the Christmas-madness will set in. Lol. It's around noon overhere.
Like Chrissi said already: Christmas Eve is the day in Germany. This is when everybody will get their presents and everybody will sing Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht in church. So it will soon get kind of solemn.
Here's our schedule: we'll have lunch and then gather in the living room where my husband and my kid have decorated the Christmas tree yesterday. We'll sing some German Christmas songs (mother playing the piano...). I'm not much of a musician and we aren't any good at singing, but it's the good intention that counts, isn't it?  ;)
After this, we'll hand out the pesents that have been sitting there in the living room for a couple of days now. Christ child must have placed them there while we were out of the house… There's a name on every present. And there are many of them!
We'll probably have a little Glühwein (mulled wine) and Plätzchen (homemade Christmas cookies) along with that. I don't bake them myself, though. Franca's Grandmothers are much better at that...   
At 4.30 pm we go to church. It's a special childrens' mass where my daughter plays a part singing. After church we visit my mother in law and have diner at her place. It's the same each year. We'd love to invite her over to our house, but there's also her elderly sister who'd be alone then and who's too frail to come along, so we always end up having diner together with the two of them at my mother in law's place. It goes without saying that there are going to be more presents.
Around 7 pm we'll come back to our house and greet my parents. They just live upstairs. Presents again. Then they'll leave for the regular adults' Chritsmas mass around 10 pm and we'll go downstairs and spend the rest of the evening chatting an drinkin' an all.
First Christmas holiday (Dec 25th): Lunch with my husband's relatives. Second Christmas holiday: Lunch with my relatives. More presents.
And that is just the beginning of the holiday season at our home... The afternoon of December 26th is one of the very rare occasions throughout the year that you can actually witness me baking cake. Birthday cake, that is. I could do without but it's considered my duty to invite everybody over for coffee on the 27th which is not only my birthday but also my daughter's. So the party goes on, and before we know it, the year is over and we celebrate sylvester and, at midnight toast to the new year and my father's birthday with is on January 1st. On Newyear's Day we, of course, will be also very busy visiting all kinds of friends, wishing them a happy new year and sharing a drink or two.
So, crazy days lie ahead, and I don’t know how often I will manage to be online. I know, I've pretty much been absent here lately, anyway. Forgive me. Real life got in my way…

Here’s wishing everybody a very happy and peaceful Christmas!

Yours

ANKE   :-*
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 04:53:24 pm by Pipedream »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 12:59:51 pm »
Thanks for taking a moment to sit down and share with us, Anke!  It sounds like a hectic but wonderful week is ahead of you.  And let me be the first to wish you and your little one

:D  :D HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  :D  :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 01:53:20 pm »
My husband's birthday is on the 27th too. By that time, he doesn't want to have anything to do with celebrating. He doesn't like cake, too fattening. This year, he is going skiing on his birthday while I hit the shopping looking for an acceptable present. He already has every kind of sports gear known to man. This year I am thinking about getting him a creel case  :D.

Every year we have to hear the story about how his mother went into labor on Christmas Day, only eight months pregnant with him. She fought for two days and was determined to not let him be born until the full nine months were over, because she had gotten married the past April. But my husband came into the world on the 27th, nevertheless!!

I'm sure your birthday will be happier because you have your daughter to celebrate with!! Enjoy!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 01:58:42 pm »
Anke, that is so cool that you and Franca have the same birthday!

Happiness to all!

Clarissa

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2006, 05:08:35 pm »
Sick of Christmas already? Here's a Christmas Song from the Palastorchester that always cheers me up! Oh Christmas Tree... ;D
(Play me!)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 06:48:53 pm by Pipedream »