Author Topic: Why wait four effing years?  (Read 13489 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Why wait four effing years?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 09:56:32 am »
On the original question:  I've said this all along, and occasionally it needs repeating.  Objectively viewed, this film is a period piece.  We cannot inflict out modern day sensibilities on the actions of these two (or any other) characters. It's quite easy for us to sit here and say "why didn't he?", or "why didn't they?", but the fact remains that there behavior and consequent actions were in perfect agreement with the social and political times.

A very salutary reminder, Scott. And to your point about "the social and political times," I would only add the real estate mantra: Location, location, location. Even at the time the story begins, or when Ennis and Jack reunite after four years, Wyoming, or, really, virtually any small town or rural locale in America, was not New York's Greenwich Village, or San Francisco.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:48:38 am »
You have to remember too, that when Jack and Ennis parted, Ennis was about to get married to Alma, so Jack had to be careful that he was not going to intrude on what may have been a comfortable life for Ennis......after four years, he could just visit him like "an old fishin' buddy" with no strings attached....

Even getting the reply postcard with "you bet", I still doubt, that Jack would have thought Ennis would attack him like he did, with that kiss.....I think he was telling it how it really was, when he said in the motel that he didnt think they would get into "it" again, although he was hoping like hell it might.

When you see the look on Jacks face, when Ennis holds him and kisses him, he is surprised, but then returns the same kind of kiss, but I doubt whether he would have intiitiated it, if Ennis hadn't.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 12:30:20 pm »
I'm inclined to agree with you, Katie.

I think, when Jack sent his postcard, he was probably already planning one of his periodic trips to see his folks up in Lightning Flat, and when he succeeded in contacting Ennis, he built a detour to Riverton into his itinerary, so to speak.

I also think there are complex things going on inside of Jack here. I do NOT think he had a deliberate plan to "seduce" Ennis. I think his "Swear to God ... yeah, I did," comment indicates that he had been trying to suppress and deny to himself that he wanted to reconnect with Ennis--or how much he wanted to reconnect with Ennis--and he had tried to force himself not to look for anything more than buying an old buddy a beer. So I agree that I don't think Jack would have slammed Ennis up against the wall if Ennis hadn't made the first move. But in the motel he has to admit both to Ennis and to himself that he really wanted very badly to hook up with Ennis again. It's a great moment of self-honesty for Jack.

I agree that he was happily surprised when Ennis slammed him up against that wall and kissed him. I'd say that in that scene, Jake/Jack even looks a little shocked to discover that Ennis wants it as badly as he does.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 01:15:55 pm »

I agree that he was happily surprised when Ennis slammed him up against that wall and kissed him. I'd say that in that scene, Jake/Jack even looks a little shocked to discover that Ennis wants it as badly as he does.

"happily surprised" is an understatement.....I think for the first time, Jack saw Ennis as wanting and needing as much as he did.....and he loved it.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 01:35:26 pm »

"Happily surprised" is a pretty mild way to put it. I'd say... ecstatic, elated, blown away... I'm not sure the words exist to convey that feeling. Which may be why there are metaphors.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 08:16:46 pm »
You are not crazy, I have the same feeling when I watch it, I think it's the timing, it doesn't feel completely right, it's the pause before he says "every four fuckin years?" that makes the line not feel genuine to me.

Thanks for the affirmation!  ;)  Seriously, it was nice to read that someone else experienced this as well.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 01:15:49 pm »
Here's where Jack decided it was futile to give his all to his marriage and to contact Ennis.  In the first shot, Jack is still trying.  The middle shot shows, as Ennis says about himself later, "No more room for me."  In the third shot, he sees it's futile to try to find a place in this family.  It's the scene right before Ennis comes home to find his first postcard from Jack.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 01:23:15 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 02:20:42 pm »
In the third shot, he (Jack) sees it's futile to try to find a place in this family.  It's the scene right before Ennis comes home to find his first postcard from Jack.

Hunh.  :( I never made that connection, before, 'bout the juxtaposition of the scenes, I mean. Thanks, Clarissa!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 03:21:48 pm »
Here's where Jack decided it was futile to give his all to his marriage and to contact Ennis.  In the first shot, Jack is still trying.  The middle shot shows, as Ennis says about himself later, "No more room for me."  In the third shot, he sees it's futile to try to find a place in this family.  It's the scene right before Ennis comes home to find his first postcard from Jack.

I always wondered why he still waited 8 months to contact Ennis! Gather up the courage? Doesn't seem like a Jack-thing to wait and think this over for 8 months.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 03:45:18 pm »
I always wondered why he still waited 8 months to contact Ennis! Gather up the courage? Doesn't seem like a Jack-thing to wait and think this over for 8 months.

Maybe it was within that eight months that he heard Ennis was in Riverton?  ???