Author Topic: Peak Brokie experiences  (Read 10310 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Peak Brokie experiences
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:03:55 am »
I've been thinking back on the 10 months since I saw BBM, and all the great experiences I've had in that time -- seeing the movie over and over, finding a group of people who were equally obsessed with it and equally excited about discussing it, exploring its amazing complexity and subtlety, making friends and finding a wonderful community.

So I decided to ask anybody who's interested, regardless of how long they've been here, to share some of their most exciting moments as Brokies. These could involve the movie itself, friendships, personal discoveries ... whatever has been great. I'm thinking more of specific events rather than gradual growth or general change, but whatever stands out for you will be welcome.

I'll start, with one of my earliest memories. I'd been on imdb for just a couple of weeks and had noticed some threads discussing the deep significance of clothing colors and numbers and little things like that. I didn't post on them or even read them very carefully, because secretly I thought, geez, people are getting a little carried away here  ::) I'd seen the movie two or three times, loved it, but it seemed ridiculous to comb through minute details for meaning.

Then came what I think of as my "Helen Keller at the water pump" moment: opening up a whole new world that I hadn't known existed. I saw a thread -- started, I believe, by Casey Cornelius -- examining that tiny scene where Ennis is spreading tar and his coworker is blathering on and Ennis pauses to look off into the distance. I considered this scene pretty much a throwaway, there mainly to establish that Ennis was settling into married and work, stuck with a boring coworker, maybe realizing that life felt empty without Jack.

But Casey noted how the babbling coworker has just uttered the words "breakin my back" -- suggesting that it's the reminder of Brokeback that triggers Ennis' wistful reaction. Someone else pointed out that Ennis is wearing a blue-plaid shirt -- Jack's color -- as if Ennis is unconsciously expressing his emotions in, yes, his clothing choices. Someone else pointed out that Ennis must be thinking of Jack when he stares off into the distance ("Hell," this poster said, "I'm thinking of Jack when I stare off into the distance; of course Ennis is."  :laugh:) And people went on to talk about how Ennis stares off into the distance, usually into nature, in many other scenes when he thinks about Jack.

It was an epiphany. I realized, Wow, if this two-minute, unremarkable scene -- one I'd always assumed was there mainly to mark time passing -- could be freighted with that much meaning, imagine what depths the other 132 minutes must hold!  And of course I eventually learned that, yes, in this movie even apparently minor details like clothing color and numbers actually are extremely significant. Ten months later, I'm still discovering them. But that was the first big one.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Peak Brokie experiences
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:18:21 am »
Great description, Katherine.  I like imagining how many posts of yours created these kinds of ah ha! moments for others.  :)

Sitting in the movie theater alone for the umpteenth time and hearing someone in the audience stifle a sob.

Sitting in the Aero Theater surrounded by actual Brokie buddies in the flesh, and actually gazing at Heath and all in the flesh too, at the same time.

Laying in bed that night in the motel, with henrypie in the other bed, talking in the dark about all we'd experienced that day.  Taking hold of her hand and puffing on her cigarette - no wait, sorry, that was Ennis and Jack, not me and henrypie. :)

Creating that Cowboy Etiquette with you all.  Have I ever been involved in something funnier?  And the BBM Scenes in emoticons thread (which still feels like losing the library at Alexandria or sump'n, I still hope it can be found intact somehow.)  Have I ever been involved in anything funnier AND more touching?

What's a matter with me, there's a thousand of 'em.  Why can't I think of more examples right now?

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 06:42:24 pm »
My peak experience was seeing two shooting stars just before dawn during my four-hour drive to see the movie for the first time.

I mean, seeing the movie was good, too, but nothing compares to a pair of shooting stars in the middle of an empty desert.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 06:43:08 pm »
Great thread, Katherine.  I like the idea of getting very specific.  

Here's one of mine:

Reading Annie's essay in the Story to Screenplay where she talks about how difficult it was to write the "dozy embrace" paragraph.  She mentions that she repeatedly listened to "Spiritual", an instrumental piece by Charlie Haden and Pat Metheney.

I had  that album!  It was the only CD by either artist that I had.  I knew  that music.  And, to think that Annie was listening to that while writing, and I was listening to that with friends, also in 1997!

I've posted this elsewhere, but here's an amazingly lovely video of "Spiritual" and the "dozy embrace" (in slow motion, no less) together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi6i8bfwV-w

Paul

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 07:13:59 pm »
One peak experience for this movie buff was the realization, within a week or so of first seeing the film, that not only had I seen an unusually powerful movie that had quickly become my new favorite film, but I had just witnessed the single most important film ever made. There was a spiritual energy emanating from this work that was wholly new and excitingly dumbfounding in my experience; the artists behind this story and picture had tapped into the tragic heart of the human experience. If ever film deserved to be called a miracle, Brokeback Mountain would be it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 10:11:45 pm »
One of my peak moments also involves shooting stars. I had been chatting with rt and Mandy, and I had a wonderful time talking about many things important and trivial. When I finally said a reluctant goodbye to them and left the office I headed for home, driving hard by the hogback of red rocks and the famous amphitheater where I would soon go to see Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. As I made my way up the grade towards my mountain home, two shooting stars plummeted through the inky black sky and I thought of my two dear friends as I watched them fade away.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:59:15 pm »
Yeah, I gotta go with Clarrisa on this one - the Aero theater experience in Santa Monica, and being two rows from the cast and crew.  I'm SO not a star-struck person, but it and dinner after was special, special, special.  What are we doing for our anniversary, Clarrisa? 8)
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 12:12:17 am »
Yeah, I gotta go with Clarrisa on this one - the Aero theater experience in Santa Monica, and being two rows from the cast and crew.  I'm SO not a star-struck person, but it and dinner after was special, special, special.  What are we doing for our anniversary, Clarrisa? 8)

When is the anniversary?  I think I'm going to both the Denver Memorial Day weekend BBM event, and the Alberta adventure in the summer.  You come too!  :)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 03:58:02 am »
My Peak experence occured this past summer in the Big Horns, just west of Buffalo, Wyoming. It was at a camp fire, with Cowboy Wayne, Oregondoggie and Wyo_men, I believe, and I started hearing for the first time the story compared to the take of christ, hearing it described as one of sacrificae for the redemption of another.

It sent chills.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 07:20:58 am »
My peak experience was also to connect to another person over BBM for the first time.
It was when I aked Kerstin (my only RL fellow Brokie) to see BBM for a second time in cinema. Sounds not like much, but hell, was I nervous about it.
Some of you already know it, but for the others: By that time, Kerstin and I didn't know each other well, we hadn't shared private things and didn't know much about each others lifes. It was more by chance that we had seen BBM together for the first time and we hadn't spoken about it afterwards (couldn't, as we learned later).

I thought she would think I'm totally nuts, but I had to see this movie a second time (little did I know then). I wanted to call her, but had put it off for days, because I was anxious about it. One evening we encountered and I decided to take the plunge and told her I couldn't get this movie out of my head. It turned out it was the same for her. She even had asked her mother and sister to go and see it with her, because she hadn't dared to ask me for seeing it a second time. She felt just the same as I did. And she also was too coward to admit it to me.

We laughed and talked about BBM and suddenly there was a new kind of connection between us. I remember when we parted I was so high on this feeling, I felt happy, happy happy. I smiled and grinned for the rest of the evening, other people asked me about it.