Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2595173 times)

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • myspace
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #1250 on: September 17, 2007, 07:42:53 am »
Yeah and you know I think I need to get me some two steppin' boots.....lard, I need to start packin'!

Well, here is todays newspaper clipping, found in a box of stuff. I think this was back in the 1990's. I feel I must state for the record this is not to be construed as a comment upon the state of West Virginia, where my father was born, in the town of Stokesbury, which is closer to Big Ugly than Vienna is. 

just what are you trying to say bout mah state ! <grabs his gun>
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #1251 on: September 17, 2007, 08:20:32 am »
'bout time  ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1252 on: September 17, 2007, 08:32:01 am »
It is a bit after 5 am here in Joe's kitchen, the internal clock still on east coast time, I am headed back home today, and hope I make it in one piece. To collapse in my own bed and wake another day and begin again to find meaning in it.

It just goes on and on. from one one' lonely song to the next, one ole' set of issues to the next. More tired than I have been in probably my forever. It has been real good folks, it has been an honor. I will honor the memory with these borried lyrics from Sister Emmylou:

"I remember holdin' on to you
All them long and lonely nights I put you through
Somewhere in there I'm sure I made you cry
But I can't remember if we said goodbye

But I recall all of them nights down in Mexico
One place I may never go in my life again
Was I just off somewhere or just too high

I only miss you every now and then
Like the soft breeze blowin' up from the Caribbean
Most Novembers I break down and cry
Cause I can't remember if we said goodbye

But I recall all of them nights down in Mexico
One place I will never go in my life again
Was I just off somewhere or just too high
No I can't remember if we said goodbye
Goodbye goodbye "

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1253 on: September 17, 2007, 04:47:40 pm »

Truman, I have to put down here in the best words I can...and believe me when i say, words cannot suffice.  If there are angels on this earth, you are truly one of them...I could feel your personal presence from where you live to where I live, and long anticipated meeting you in person.
Let me say this was one case where the anticipation was only outpaced by the experience.  Meeting you, and spending time was a treasure as sure as gold...I shall treasure it in my heart for always... I love you dearly and forever...And thank you for making this past weekend the experience that it was....                                                          janice
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:20:54 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

karen1129

« Reply #1254 on: September 17, 2007, 08:40:53 pm »
Truman....... it was truly a joy to meet you.
Alll the good things I had heard about you are true.
You are a true Southern Gentleman !!!!
 :-* :-* :-*

Karen

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1255 on: September 18, 2007, 08:15:51 pm »
Thank you ladies, it was a pleasure meeting you both, adding those layers of detail and history onto the pencil sketch in me mind I had created.

I was so bummed out Monday morning, but this morning, I woke to a new day, again. It was like every other day really, the public radio station played Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance on the way to work and it helped me get there faster. The redneck dolts came and hooked up my DSL, which lasted all of 15 minutes till a dump truck come down the road and pulled it down. I was on the phone with comcast and hours an Bubba and Ricky was back out there saying they knew it won;t gone work when they left.

Some people you just don;t ax what the hell they were thinking.

Janice I sure did enjoy talking to you on the phone today and I am so glad Michelle enjoyed herself. You all are the Esther and Ruth of our party. I hope that is righ because I ain;t go no Bible handy at the moment.

Oh Wayne.......

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1256 on: September 19, 2007, 09:29:00 am »
In the days leading up to the departure I could see esseffjoe in my head, his eyes over his glasses telling me: there are no coincidences.

So I sent Lee a pm with my flight schedule and in minutes had my confirmation: we were on the same damn flight out of Atlanta. Yee-Haw! "I'll be wearing my cowboy hat" I told him.

That night before I packed my bag with stuff I would never use and at 4 am began the sickening ride to the airport, realizing I should have got up a half hour earlier, running to get to the gate, damn if I missed this flight.....there are no coincidences....I exhaled.

Gate T3, ATL, 7:30 or so in the morning, I have seen his picture, know I will recognize him, where is...there he is. "Hey Buddy!" after all these months the only question I still had was his height, which turned out to be about the same as mine, Rock Hudson with better hair. We find we can indeed change our seat assignments, are given two seats in a section of three, and the third never shows. It is the best possible way to cross the continent: with a good friend and a series of Bourbons. We laughed and cut up and told our stories and carried on like two giggling teenagers, like we had know each other since we were. I am sure the women in the row ahead of us had an earfull.

Arriving in SFO I get the call from Judy, she is there waiting by the bagage claim, and we stop to have one more drink, so as to give our bags time to get there. Here she is, the answer lady, the one who has been on so many of the same paths I take I feel like I can ask her what to expect next. We are the happiest people in the airport that day, I am sure.

The BART train into the city is an experience, and I get them on the bus, melencollyly if there is such a word. I go the short distance to the Hurst Building, with its Marble floors and brass elevators, exit into Joe's world, his office becomes real, his partner becomes real and upon returning the key to the wash room I think: Senator Craig would love this place.

We are off and running, I am grateful to have a bite to soak up the alcohol, to sit at a sidewalk cafe with this other old Virginia boy, as the city pounds around us. We go under the ground and emerge on Castro street, the Harvey Milk station, under the big rainbow flag. I look up and think of Danny Overstreet, (http://rtonline1.roanoke.com/rt_specials/shooting/story15.html)wonder if he ever got to see it, if he knew there was a giant rainbow flag that would fly at half mast when he was gunned down in a bar in Roanoke, Virginia in 2000. The cab takes us on the climb, up and up and up, to the near summit of Kite Hill, and my long held suspicion is confirmed: Joe is indeed Mrs. Madrigal.

There was no moon until 5:30 that afternoon he explained so we should be patient, plans would go awry, we struggle across the city to visit his friend who welcomes us in to his home, a vintage 1886 Victorian, decorated to the hilt and beyond, with antiques, I would estimate around one billion dollars worth. The foyer lit by gas light. As one who lives in a museum, I am impressed. But the surprise waits in the basement. Mechanical music, player pianos, Victrolas, mechanical violins, entire orchestras waiting for the drop if a dime, waiting to sing their century old songs. Our host explains how one of them served to provide music to accompany the silent films. It is bigger than my car. How the hell did they ever move it?

Down to the ferry, We take time for much needed coffee. I am approaching hour 20. Joe's partner Jim has gone on, across the bay to Tiburon where we will join him at the home of ____ ______. I hope he will appreciate the borried reference from Maupin, who he sort of resembles. (bit much thinner) The ride is peaceful and golden in the late day sun, starting to get a bit chilly, we pass Angel Island and I see what the land looked like when the Indians lived here, right now still brown, but soon to turn green with the winter rains.

The town of Tiburon is out on the street for a festival. Screaming 12 year old girls with painted faces, the street blocked with people dining by candle light. When you see women in America out in public wearing hats, you can usually assume on of two things: 1. They are on Chemo, or 2. The are wealthy. I think these people were wealthy, healthy, whined and dined.

We take the road up the hill to ____ ______'s home, a stunner of a place, overlooking the town, the bay, the little church on the hill where the open space begins, over looking Angel Isle. He opens the door and I think: There is cousin Allan's twin! He welcomes us in, eager and happy we have arrived and I am already in regret as I feel I am only at about 35%. They have done killed a bottle waiting for us, I nurse along a single glass and take in the view as the sun sets. I am in high cotton. My shoes feel dirty, but this is the home of a brokie, I know I am welcome. ____ _______'s lamb stew is to die for.

After coffee he carries us back in his car, down the mountain, thru his town and just before cross the Golden Gate we climb up to an over look to get the full effect of the bridge at night, lit only in recent years as it was originally intended. I gather they are not fans of the bridge though ____ ______'s early hours take him across with little traffic. Down thru the city we travel, on and on, where the hell are we going? Finally the Sundance Saloon appears. This is the place. Joe reminds me I have a key, I can come and go or whatever, it is no problem. The only three people I am acquainted with in sight drop me off and I step into this place of swirling cowboys. Where are my friends? Then suddenly a see a short train hopping by, Eric is the engineer and Paul the caboose, I run to catch that train. Hugs and kisses all around.

One by one the faces appear, some I have see from posted photos of other gatherings and a hand raises and I see Janice in the dim light. I know it is her, like I know my hand, here is her x-daughter-in-law, straight out of the old testament. I am so glad she has made it, for a while there I thought she might not. I go out on the floor, the sea of swirling bodies and I meet Melinda, and I realize that there are people who are recognizing me for the first time. I meet Karen, and newly empowered by the music drag he skinny frame out on the floor and show her just how bad a two stepper I am, but Eric comes to my rescue and gives me an impromptu lesson. Long, long, short, short, what every you say bud, fast or slow I suddenly don't care I am moving backward.

I look around another corner and there is Chuck, looking even trimmer than his most recent picture. He tells me about his trip over the music and I think, if my great grandparents had stayed in Jersey I might actually understand what he is saying. (No you stop).

Judy is there with Gail, and her daughter Audra, Glory is there, Adam is there, although I have never met him before he is exactly like his picture, Adrian is there, in Johnny Cash black, we embrace, just a few days past the anniversary of our first and last meeting, in front of a table where Annie Proulx was signing books, he came up to me and asked: "Are you from Bettermost?" So good to see him again.

And Lee? He had morphed into the night blooming Sirius, the plant that every Granny in Virginia used to have on her porch in the summer time, in a big pot, hauled in each winter so that once ever seven years it would bloom, for one night, at midnight, and all the grandchildren would stay up and watch. It was midnight, and he was in full bloom. He staggered over to me and put his arms around me and hollered in my ear: I am having such a good time and other endearments.

"You have a friend for life" I told him. I wasn't just speaking for me. Now, he can be a friend to himself as well.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 09:00:40 pm by Shakestheground »

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1257 on: September 19, 2007, 09:51:53 am »
OMG, how nice to be home again, how nice to have survived what for me was a wide open, jet setting weekend. Out yonder in SF the energy of the place kept me awake, even with Tylenol PM I could not get but a few hours sleep before my mind would cut on again, eager for more stimulation, more sights.

My head hit the pillow, my body the mattress and here comes the sand man, here comes the crazy dreams, I have rigged up a cell phone using a balloon and a funnel, and I am talking to Judy but it looses air and she fades away. What follows is lost to me, for several hours. Then just before dawn, something new comes, I wake not fully awake, I am thinking, but not just with my brain. The words to describe it were coming so swiftly but I dared not get up and write them down, it was just too good to miss.

This thing, this mutual admiration society is a wonderful thing. It has brung together strangers from all over and let them be friends, let them exhale. Male and female, bent and straight, but I take a step further, and I apologize ladies, but this revelation is about the guys. Not Jack and Ennis, but the real ones, whose faces and voices fill this inbetwixt time before dawn. 

Never before in my life have I found such a place, where guys like us could come together, free from the pressure of judgement, free from scrutiny, and just accept one another. Maybe it is not so uncommon for others, but it is a first for me. Gawd, I thought I knew how to act, how to represent myself, boy did I have a lot to learn. Perhaps our mutual reaction to the story of Jack and Ennis is the filter that leads to this safe place, if that can make you cry, you must be safe to talk to.

I love you guys, all of you, short and tall, old and young, fat and skinny, sober or not, single or coupled. I love talking to you, hearing your stories, holding up my life against yours and taking the measure. Always seperate, always unequal, but also unique, beautiful, and joy to behold. To know each of you gratifies a part of my soul. You cause me to take my heart from the box I have kept it locked in and wear it on my sleeve. Your hugs each releasing some pent up stress no one else can seem to touch.

In those wee hours your faces filled my mind: Adrain with your beautiful hair and your peaceful demeanor, Paul with your puddling brown eyes a person could drown in, Eric, the invincible who knows no obsticle, Joe, who is more of a Mrs. Madrigal that Maupin could have created, Lee, a flower blooming where a rock was rolled away, Kirk, whose very soul is the deffination of love as far as I am concerned. Jack, so earnest always smiling, Chuck, the hurricane, the force of nature. Wulf, the patient one, the bravest one, Wayne, who could paw the red outta that stop sign. Roland, who knows more about grace and dignity than anyone. Pete, the Johnny Appleseed, who plants little ideas for you to find in your head later on. Jeff, in your tree house, composing your song, you rare bird, Larry, who is what every gentleman should be. Abe, the gentlest mountain in the stormy sea.

And Juanito, who I believe could stop a war with his smile. That was all it took to start the fire that warmed my heart.

I may never live in your cities, will never bump into you at the store, or wait for you on a park bench with a bouquet of flowers. Will only get to hang out with you guys a few short times in my whole life, and yet you are the standard I will measure every man than comes my way against. I will ask him: would you bend over backward to help someone you never met because you know how good it feels?

On these trips, in these encounters with you all I have found something special, I feel my reflection will never look as good anywhere but in your eyes. And those of you who are alone, know that your not. If you can stir these feelings in me, you can stir them in some else too. Just be patient with him, he may not get it right away.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #1258 on: September 19, 2007, 09:57:56 am »
Truman!
Words fail me!
ALl I can think of to say right now is Thank You!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

moremojo

« Reply #1259 on: September 19, 2007, 10:44:58 am »
Truman, YOU, your soul and your sharing, are why BetterMost came into being, the testament to its success. What you write here can stand alone as proof as to how and why this is the single most loving and visionary website in existence. You are the gift that keeps on giving. Thank you.