Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2580599 times)

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #430 on: January 16, 2007, 01:46:45 am »
:D   Enjoyed being with you this weekend buddy!!  Hope y'all had a safe trip home!   Lookin forward to next time!!     :D

Is the cat goin' a drag you folks out to Colorado?  This O'Dog is plannin' on checkin' out Brokenback again AFTER the BBQ.

Readin' Roughnecking It, by Chilton Williamson, 1982.  Everything you ever wanted to know about oil rigs and their men in Wyomin' near Sage (Ennis' hometown). 

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #431 on: January 16, 2007, 04:41:54 pm »
That is good to know, I had not heard of that one, will add it to the list. (Where did I put the list?)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Seanachie
« Reply #432 on: January 16, 2007, 06:41:55 pm »
This is only one of your many gifts, friend.  Thank you for sharing yourself with us.

From Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seanachie

"A seanachie (pronounced "shan-a-key" or "shawn-a-key") is a traditional Irish story teller. Alternatate spellings include seanachaí, senachaí, senachie and shanachie.  The word is an anglicized form of the Irish language seanachaidh or seanchuidh. It comes from the Irish words "seanachas" or "seanchus" meaning "history" or "lore".

The traditional art

Seanachie utilized a variety of storytelling conventions, styles of speech and gestures that were peculiar to the Irish folk tradition and characterized them as practitioners of this particular folk art. Although tales from literary sources found their way into seanachie's repertoires, a traditional characteristic of the seanachie was the way in which a large corpus of tales was passed from one practitioner to another without having been written down.

Because of their role as custodians of an indigenous non-literary tradition, the seanachie are widely acknowledged to have inherited the role of the fili of pre-Christian Ireland. However, unlike that of their ancient predecessors, the seanachie’s role was informal.

Some seanachie were itinerant travelers who went from one community to another offering their skills in exchange for food and temporary shelter. Others were members of a settled community and might be called "village storytellers."

The distinctive role and craft of the seanachie is particularly associated with the Gaeltacht, but storytellers recognizable as seanachie were found in rural areas throughout English-speaking Ireland as well. In their storytelling, some displayed archaic Hiberno-English idiom and vocabulary that would be out of place in ordinary conversation."
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Seanachie
« Reply #433 on: January 16, 2007, 08:59:48 pm »
archaic Hiberno-English idiom and vocabulary that would be out of place in ordinary conversation
:D   Neeet!

:o ::)   I wonder if there's any relationship between Hiberno- and Hebrew ...

I mean, since the "Celts" came from Galatia in Turkey and maybe Galilee and Gaulanitis (Galilee of the Gentiles, the other side of the Sea of Galilee)     :D :o ::)

P.S. Hm - here's some stuff along those lines

http://www.britam.org/namesakes.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 09:19:54 pm by wdj »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #434 on: January 17, 2007, 02:47:36 pm »

Thank you for that information Lynne, tht sounds like a lifestyle I could have easily fit into. I think the Irsih today all have a bit of that in them.

This is my thoughts I put together from last night as I tried to sleep:

"Pentecost, noun, a Christian festival celebrated on the seventh Sunday after Easter, commemorating the descent of the Holy Ghost upon the apostles....."

--From Webester's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, 1996

I knew a bit about the Pentecost. I remembered the story I had heard once that involved flames appearing above the heads of the apostles, 50 days after the crucifixion.

I knew Cowboy Wayne knew the Bible. In our first meeting I had lernt that. Our first morning in West Virginia we even got it out and read from it. Double checking the chapter and verse used in Latter Days on the pocket watch. So I asked him  "what is the pentecost?" and he explainned it thusly: The followers were promised that in the old testament that they would be sent a comforter. When this spirit arrived they spoke in flaming tongues, a sign that the gospel would be spred out to other nations.

Jack had said his mother never explained it to him. That can happen, you just assume people know what your talking about, which is why I am still hesitant to classify people by the color of their collar. I don't really know what that means.

In the story we are told that it was several months before Ennis know about the accident. Certainly some amount of time passed before he went to the Twist ranch, but when he got there, Mrs. Twist demonstrated that spirit of comfort to him in her acts of kindness. He received the shirts, left there like an abandoned burial shroud in an empty tomb, and then.....

"Around that time, Jack began to appear in his dreams, Jack as he had first seen him, curly headed and smiling and buck-toothed, talking about getting up off his pockets and into the control zone, but the can of beans with the spoon handle jutting out and balanced on the log was there as well in a cartoon shape and lurid colors that gave the dreams a flavor of comic obsenity. The spoon handle was the kind that could be used as a tire iron. And he would wake sometimes in greif, sometimes with the old sense of joy and release; the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets."

Jack, in this way, came to Ennis in spirit and comforted him. Ennis experenced Pentecost in the form of Jack in his dreams. That question he had asked so long ago was answered.

May we all find answers, or at least never stop asking.

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #435 on: January 17, 2007, 03:32:14 pm »
some amount of time passed before he went to the Twist ranch, but when he got there, Mrs. Twist demonstrated that spirit of comfort to him in her acts of kindness. He received the shirts, left there like an abandoned burial shroud in an empty tomb, and then.....

Ennis experenced Pentecost in the form of Jack in his dreams.
:o   OMG!      :'( :'(

That's really good, Truman! This goes in the book about BBM Symbolism and Imagery.

I miss you!!!     :) :'( :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #436 on: January 17, 2007, 03:36:45 pm »
I miss you too, miss that safe and secure place Lynne described, the magical  place, all of which remains of are our pictures, and some mud on the tires.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #437 on: January 17, 2007, 04:59:48 pm »
Dang it, quit making me cry, dude.

Never mind, s'alright.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #438 on: January 17, 2007, 06:49:06 pm »

Thanks for letting me know about this posting.

That's some excellent analysis of the Pentecost, its history and its application to Brokeback Mountain.

It's another example of the richness of the literary masterpiece, both story and screenplay.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #439 on: January 17, 2007, 11:24:55 pm »
Meryl, you ain't cryin' alone, believe me.

Pastor Fred, Thanks for checking it out, it is like peeling and onion and meeting up with yourself in the process.