Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2578474 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #440 on: January 17, 2007, 11:31:04 pm »
 :) :'( :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #441 on: January 17, 2007, 11:37:36 pm »
I miss you too, miss that safe and secure place Lynne described, the magical  place, all of which remains of are our pictures, and some mud on the tires.

I dunno...all those feelings are still here threatenin' to drown me sometimes if I don't find somewhere to put them.

What was it you said?  A person has three deaths...

Their literal death
The death of the last person to know them
The last time their name is spoken

??? :-\ ???
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #442 on: January 18, 2007, 03:16:12 am »
I dunno...all those feelings are still here threatenin' to drown me sometimes if I don't find somewhere to put them.

Their literal death

Truman told me the Indian thoughts on death, in a PM when we were talking about my father, and I too, have not forgotten it, and have re-told it to many people since I heard it.....the response has been that of intrigue and agreement, and I'm sure it will be repeated many more times.

You are so lucky Lynne to have been able to spend time with Truman, no doubt, some of your conversations must have been quite spiritual......I'm hoping I will get over there for the Alberta trip, and meet up with him too.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #443 on: January 18, 2007, 03:46:45 am »

Their literal death

Truman.... are you Native too? This sounds suspiciously Lakota. I remember my Mother telling me people of our tribe suffer two deaths; The day we physically die, and the day the very last person who remembered us passes from this world.

This was  "Nakun" to the Sioux (to be "known" or "remembered")

Perhaps my Mom was combining  "The death of the last person to know them" and "The last time their name is spoken" together. Or perhaps I am not remembering it correctly.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #444 on: January 18, 2007, 05:00:21 am »
Hey, Cowboy, I finally wandered over here from Dave Cullen's BBM site and have spent half the evening, late into the January night, grazing on your thread, cryin' a bit, as I remember last summer up on the meadow of Brokenback Mountain.  Our own stories, great clouds from the past, boiled down around us, but we were safe on the meadow, safe with each other for a little while.

What a zigzag road into our hearts this story has been!

And now there's goin' a be a big get-together in Colorado over Memorial Day Weekend with another trip up to Brokenback.  Sure hope I see you and all our folk there...and maybe even up in Alberta in July.  Time to get goin', Folks!

Larry

WELCOME TO BETTERMOST LARRY   from a fellow oregonian,,,good to see you here with us                                    janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #445 on: January 18, 2007, 11:09:58 am »
Thursday morning, seems impossible a week has passes since I was gearing up for the trip. On my windshield this morning ice pellets fell, that storm is coming in from the south, so I am not going to stay at the office long. We were just a week off in planning our trip, huh Lynne? ;D

David, I do have Native American in my back ground, but it was so long ago we have no real memory about it with the exception that various women in the family were "mean, because they had so much indian in them". I heard that wispered growing up. My father, you could tell by looking at him was part native, but he denighed being anything but 100% white. I also had an uncle on my mothers side who was married to a woman who was part African, but "passed for white".

I emersed myself in Pow Wows and Native literature at one point in my life, and heard the thoughts on death at some point then. I would hold on to what your mother told you, it is closer to the source, real and not a hallmark sentiment. I could see someone adding the last line to make it more acceptable, give it a happy ending, start a new tradition.

Lynne, I know what you mean about drowning. If you can change your point of view to look at it as a river, go with the flow as it were, but even a river is turbulent. Maybe a nice high perch above the river, on the side of the gorge, where you can get some perspective, where all you r problems look like dots crossing an old suspension bridge, and you can hum softly to yourself the words of an old Hank Williams song. Until some dumb ass outside your cubicle clears their throat and asks you for a paper clip. ;)

In the end, all Ennis had left of the power of Brokeback Mountain was what he held in his hands.

Katie, I really hope you can make it to Alberta, that would be so awesome! I know many here who would love to meet you.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #446 on: January 18, 2007, 11:26:44 pm »
Ah miss you!!!  Truman I wish you was here in town where I could see you from time to time!     :-\ :)

Hope you're having a good evening buddy!!    :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #447 on: January 18, 2007, 11:29:02 pm »
A trip to Highlands might be in order!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
    • myspace
« Reply #448 on: January 18, 2007, 11:53:54 pm »
funny i was just thinkin of  a visit to  VA sometime soon!
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Wayne

« Reply #449 on: January 19, 2007, 12:20:29 am »
Hope you're doing well too Mr. Wulfs, and the Mizzez Lynne and RouxB!!   It was a happy time. I still feel all warm and fuzzy!!       :)

Don