Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2533093 times)

moremojo

Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #460 on: January 23, 2007, 11:36:21 pm »
Hey, Truman--

That tiny bit of Spain surrounded by France is the town of Llivia. Italy similarly has an enclave within the country of Switzerland, called Campione d'Italia. I found this article on enclaves and exclaves, with an interesting international list of such entities, at the following URL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclave

I share your curiosity for the microstates of the world. There is a certain fascination in a place, like Monaco, that is smaller than New York's Central Park, that is yet its own sovereign nation. Bigger isn't necessarily, or always, best!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #461 on: January 24, 2007, 03:09:56 pm »
I would have fantasies as a child about being the ruler of some little country someplace, my own little bastion.

I ment to write about this the other day but it slipped my mind. Sunday I was driving thru town, it was raining and almost freezing and I saw two LDS missionaries scurrying down the sidewalk with their books. I rolled down the window and asked them: "Wouldn't you like an umbrella?" They seemed somewhat relieved by a jesture of good will, but told me their car was around the corner, so I didn't detain them. Bless their hearts, I may not entirely agree with their mission, but they have a hard row to hoe.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #462 on: January 24, 2007, 07:29:47 pm »
Your comment about the LDS missionaries, brings to my mind what I often think about us Brokies.....

Sometimes I think of us as missionaries, trying to get people to understand the real meaning of the movie, and how if more people could get the message, this world would be a far better place.

Not unlike us, those LDS missionaries have found something special, and want to share it, and no doubt they get frustrated like us, when their goodwill is taken as an afront and not understood in the concept that it is meant to be understood.....same frustration we feel, when we try to explain to someone what a beautiful love story BBM is.

We dont have to agree with their beliefs, but I do now have some compassion for what they are trying to do.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #463 on: January 24, 2007, 08:44:23 pm »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #464 on: January 25, 2007, 03:13:27 pm »
In the darkness I could sense she was laying down. I wondered how she would take all this upset to her routine. I remembered his words saying he would forgive me if she expired on my watch, but I wondered if I would be able to forgive myself. "I am just not set up for this" I thought.

About that time my phone made a wreid sound, one it rarely makes, but I now recognize as an incoming text message. I hardly ever get one of those. I knew immediatly it was Lynne, and she knows what she wrote and how perfectly it fit with my train of thought. Yes, Friend, you would be a big help, I know you would. I pulled over and collected Lady's feces from the back seat, at least they are solid.

I've been ruminating on this for nearly a week, sadly without benefit of whine, and I'm alternating between XFiles-style 'skeert' and bliss approaching tent scene 2...and that's only a little bit of an exaggeration.

Seriously, Meryl has said elsewhere that this whole Brokie business makes us feel like 'we're part of something bigger than ourselves.'  I completely agree with her, but it's so hard to put into words.  What is this need to quantify, qualify, anyway?  The need to figure out what in hell happened is big, though.  We spent some time talking about it in WVa.  Is there a reason?  What is it?  I'm no closer to answers, but I think it's important not to stop asking the questions. 

I've caught myself making calculations...assuming we have 1,000 Brokie phrases imprinted in our neural network, assume that's 10% of all the stuff we know (obvious overkill for a margin of safety), factor in time spent together and adjust it for the delta since we've seen each other - what is the likelihood?  I dreamed about it last night - think Anthony Hopkins in Proof.  I probably need help from Wayne for this calculation ;), nevermind a therapist, but I still get something approaching winning the lottery.

But Vicki and I still can finish each others' sentences and we haven't spent much regular time together since high school - that doesn't make me see ghosts where there aren't any.  Hunh.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #465 on: January 28, 2007, 08:06:34 pm »
Hey Mister Shakes!  Hope you're having a good evening. I made a little progress on the dessert-tation  :D :P

On the way now to some dinner ... wish you was around the corner so I could call you up and take you along!

Take care - talk w/ya soon!!     :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #466 on: January 29, 2007, 07:05:30 pm »
Just gone have to make a trip to Atlanta Wayne, been so long, like 1987.

You know you live in a small town when your excitement for the day is yelling at a car with "what would Jesus do" plate on the front bumper doing a U-Turn that Jesus wouldn't do that. :laugh:
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #467 on: January 29, 2007, 07:37:07 pm »
You know you live in a small town when your excitement for the day is yelling at a car with "what would Jesus do" plate on the front bumper doing a U-Turn that Jesus wouldn't do that. :laugh:

lol..
Just how small is this town you live in, Shakes?  ;D

Offline Wayne

« Reply #468 on: January 29, 2007, 07:59:17 pm »
Just gone have to make a trip to Atlanta Wayne, been so long, like 1987.
Tell you whut, that'd be fun! Soon as I finish this dessert-tation!!    :D

::)   Shakes if that brings you excitement then you're gonna be REAL busy when you come to Atlanna!     :laugh: :laugh:

My thing is with the "Left turn YIELD on Green" sign - people just stop and wait for the light to cycle through when there's no oncoming traffic!!     :o >:( >:( ::) :P
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:05:00 pm by wdj »

Don

injest

« Reply #469 on: January 29, 2007, 08:17:14 pm »
I just roll down the window and holler "Justin!! I'm calling your momma!!"