Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2579021 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #490 on: February 03, 2007, 09:16:08 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do you know if Grandpa kept his job?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #491 on: February 03, 2007, 09:30:31 pm »
So then my friend James has to tell a story too. He is Native American from northern California, and his Aent Mildred just died.

Mildred had a husband named Jimmy, who James described as a Mexican national with limited English, and perhaps intellect, who stood about 4 ft. tall. (yes I cleaned that up, can you tell?). Mildred had cancer, but her death I gather was unexpected. James said the call came somewhere between 1 and 3 in the morning, a voice on the phone asking him: "Are you related to Mrs. Mildred because she has been laying here dead for 40 minutes and no one is here with her and her wig has fallen off...."

They went down to the ER and found her behind a curtain, with a terribly distraught Jimmy standing beside her, kissing her hand, tears pouring down his face. Apparently he is so small he had escaped detection.

James did not know what became of him. He was certain relatives had probably put him on a bus. Literally or figuratively I do not know.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #492 on: February 03, 2007, 09:37:40 pm »
I' have to ask her that, Lynne, I imagine he did, because they all worked in the mill and it was the kind of place where both would have been too embarrassed to let it get out. The people in the mill would have give them hell about it for 20 years.

The men in my fathers generation and older, hell they picked on one another unmercifully.

When my daddy named me after a Democrat President (as opposed to a Democratic one I reckon) the grocer in town would see us coming and ask how "Lill' Ike" was. Just to fret him. Ike being the Republican sucessor in office to the president I was named for.

When I was 3 my Mamma took me in that place. Monroe-esque guy with a cig hangin' out his mouth and a big old pot belly behind an apron said "Hi ya Lill" Ike"

And my Mamma says I started yelling:

That Damn Fool, That Damn Fool, That Damn Fool!

and she had to drag my ass out of there.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 06:04:12 pm by shakestheground »

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #493 on: February 04, 2007, 01:21:34 pm »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
The Bricks Are Here!!!
« Reply #494 on: February 06, 2007, 08:56:35 pm »
This evening after celebrating the 71st natal anniversary of a friend, I rode back by the office to collect my lap top and I looked across street at the new museum, all finished and lit up, and thought yeah, I should go take a look and see if my memorial bricks are in place.

I am pleased to report that the love of Ennis and Jack is now memorialized for the forseeable future at the entrance of the Virginia Museum of Natural History in Martinsville, Virginia, on the spot I was born. I dedicate this to all my friends here, there and everywhere, the sentiment on this brick is for us all:

Offline David

« Reply #495 on: February 06, 2007, 09:00:25 pm »
YEE HAA!

Looks Great!

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
    • myspace
« Reply #496 on: February 06, 2007, 09:52:36 pm »
loooks awsome  truman
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #497 on: February 07, 2007, 01:53:30 am »
Thats really what they mean by "set in stone"......wonderful.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Bricks Are Here!!!
« Reply #498 on: February 07, 2007, 10:42:27 am »
This evening after celebrating the 71st natal anniversary of a friend, I rode back by the office to collect my lap top and I looked across street at the new museum, all finished and lit up, and thought yeah, I should go take a look and see if my memorial bricks are in place.

I am pleased to report that the love of Ennis and Jack is now memorialized for the forseeable future at the entrance of the Virginia Museum of Natural History in Martinsville, Virginia, on the spot I was born. I dedicate this to all my friends here, there and everywhere, the sentiment on this brick is for us all:

That's terrific Truman.  8) I remember you asking about it here on BM. I was the one who had never heard of anything like this and couldn't imagine what such a brick could be and how it would look like.

Yeah, it really got us good...

Offline Wayne

« Reply #499 on: February 07, 2007, 01:12:54 pm »
 :D    That's great Truman!!   Right along with that happy face and them pretty blue eyes!!      :) :-* :-*

So is it horizontal or vertical? A walkway or a wall?
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don