Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2583520 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #560 on: March 07, 2007, 09:34:15 am »
Donald Trump really pissed me off the other night when he fired that guy for identifying himself as white trash. I'm like if that is how he sees himself I would be more innerested in why than just to knee jerk react and fire him, sweep his ass under the carpet.

Well,  Donald Trump might be rich but to me he is in some ways a white trash. I can't stand the man.

ps. Did you get my response to your pm?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #561 on: March 07, 2007, 12:45:22 pm »
Yes and I apolgize for not getting back with you. It makes sense that the dialect around Madrid would be the one exported easiest to the new world.

A couple of years ago the police in my area when out to investigate an armed robbery at a Tienda and the man who was robbed described the robber as hispanic, with a Honduran accent. The police looked at one another "a Honduran Accent?!?" it opened up new worlds to them.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline opinionista

« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2007, 02:06:03 pm »
Yes and I apolgize for not getting back with you. It makes sense that the dialect around Madrid would be the one exported easiest to the new world.

A couple of years ago the police in my area when out to investigate an armed robbery at a Tienda and the man who was robbed described the robber as hispanic, with a Honduran accent. The police looked at one another "a Honduran Accent?!?" it opened up new worlds to them.

Native English speaking people can't usually tell between a Mexican and a Puerto Rican for example when it comes to the accent. I can understand if someone can't tell between a Puerto Rican and a Venezuelan given that our accent are very similar. But Mexicans have a very distintic accent and so do the Hondurans. It's funny because even with my disability I can tell between them and also between a British and an American, even by reading the lips. British, for example, pronounce the T in a very distintic way. Perhaps it is because I've been exposed to the American accent for a long period of time. However, I cannot diferentiate between the irish accent and the british, even though everyone says they very different.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #563 on: March 07, 2007, 03:19:59 pm »
I didn't know you had a disability, may have missed that somewhere.

We have an agent in our office who is an old school Massachusetts native, the kind who would say: "Phark tha' Khar in the Gherage" even after 42 years of living in Virginia. He went out showing a house to a woman who olny lip reads and she said "Where are you from?!?!"

I can tell the difference betwixt the Brits and the Irish speaking the same language, and I can tell the difference between somefrom Brasil speaking English and a Spanish speaker, but I cannot differentiate between Spanish speakers or those with Germanic languages like Dutch and Danish. 

Offline opinionista

« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2007, 06:10:28 pm »
I didn't know you had a disability, may have missed that somewhere.

Well, some people know but I'm not really sure who does and who doesn't. I have a neurosensorial hearing loss. In my case (not everyone's case is the same) when I have my hearing aids on I can hear almost all the low pitch sounds but I have trouble indentifying some, especially the ones I'm not familiar with. However, I have little or no hearing for high pitch, which gives me trouble understading speech sometimes. I tend to have more trouble with the English language because I can't tell the difference between some sounds. For example, sh, ch and z. I pronounce the s and the ch because I was taught when I was a kid. But the z is pronounced different in Spanish (in Puerto Rico like an s, in Spain like th) , and the sh does not exist in the language.

So my inability to make those sounds properly makes it hard for some people to understand me when I speak English. However, I'm told that I speak quite normally (in Spanish that is) and people usually can't tell I'm hard of hearing until I make a mistake or fail to understand something, or my hearing aids are showing (I have long hair). 

So, in that sense I function quite normally during conversations but the type of problem I have is not very well known or understood. When I say what? what comes into people's mind is she didn't hear me, and tend to yell, holler or move lips very very slow and that actually makes it worse for me. I always explain how it works with me. Some people get it, some others don't. Also, some sound amplifier devices don't work for me either. It's hard to explain. I need to see to understand.

My audiologist says I am a great lip reader. I think  that's because I like looking at people's mouths and faces. This has made a few men think that I'm in love with them, but that's not usually the case. I'm usually just reading their lips.  :-\

But well, it makes my life a little harder sometimes but I don't let that get to me. After all everyone has some kind of shit to deal with. I think bad attitudes are the worse kind of disability.

I don't mind talking about it, so if you have any question, feel free to ask, really.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:57:02 am by opinionista »

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #565 on: March 08, 2007, 09:04:06 am »
I so agree with you about bad attitudes being a disability. I encounter many people daily shackled by them.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #566 on: March 08, 2007, 10:03:29 pm »
This just in from the Department o' Nostalgia:

Good ole' Flipper!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #567 on: March 10, 2007, 03:19:47 pm »
Spring is in the air, and as I promised Lee I will post some pix of my native plants as they come up. Yesterday I saw my first Blue Bell Bloom:

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #568 on: March 10, 2007, 03:21:05 pm »
And for Wayne, my Mrs. Twist Iris is poppin' up, hope the deer leave it alone:

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #569 on: March 14, 2007, 11:24:19 am »
Yesterday was a rough day at work, one of those days that make you question why you even bother getting out of bed.

I have been a realtor for over 7 years now, and to say I am burnt out on it would be an understatement. My market area has been depress ever since I got into it, and has consistantly had the highest unemployment rate in the state, and is about to go up again.

The past few years I have been doing property management, which amounts to being a Nanny for landlords who don;t want to be the fall guy demanding rent from deadbeat tenants. Sixteen hours of continuing education due by December, I have started entertaining the fantasy I will just let my license expire and move on to something else. What I have no idea. I have had many careers and will hopefully have a few more. This is the longest I have stuck with any of them.

But who knows......