Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2590985 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #570 on: March 14, 2007, 12:04:42 pm »
Thanks, Truman! It's great to see that iris sprout!! I might be seeing a few Spring Beauties around my house this weekend and maybe a start on the Columbine!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2007, 08:07:08 pm »
Yesterday was a rough day at work, one of those days that make you question why you even bother getting out of bed.

I have been a realtor for over 7 years now, and to say I am burnt out on it would be an understatement. My market area has been depress ever since I got into it, and has consistantly had the highest unemployment rate in the state, and is about to go up again.

The past few years I have been doing property management, which amounts to being a Nanny for landlords who don;t want to be the fall guy demanding rent from deadbeat tenants. Sixteen hours of continuing education due by December, I have started entertaining the fantasy I will just let my license expire and move on to something else. What I have no idea. I have had many careers and will hopefully have a few more. This is the longest I have stuck with any of them.

But who knows......
     Awww sweetie, i was saddened to read your post about your chosen field of employment.  It
seems to be the way of the economy for the Republican encumbancy.  I hate to blame yet another, ugly thing on the Reps. but i have observed, in my history.  Which is longer than I care to
tell.  The economy is always bad when they are in office.  It has been happening since the Eisenhower years. I was too young to even vote then, but i remember well the way of the depressed economy.. It seems also the only way they have to try and fix it.  Is to start a war, of one kind or another. 
     Naturally the war machine has to be rebuilt. and making jobs more plentiful.  I may be wrong, I dont think so however.  It has repeated this pattern too many times by my own observation. 
     I dont know if it will change quickly, but hopefully if we get the Dems in, it will eventually make a difference...    But there are no guarantees....             sorry,,,                     janice 

your flowers are beautiful.  So nature compensates sometimes 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:10:54 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #572 on: March 16, 2007, 01:39:48 pm »
In a small town, you have to make your own entertainment:

8)

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #573 on: March 17, 2007, 10:31:33 am »
Funny, property management strikes me as an interesting field of employment, especially for a Faulknerian person like you. But that's me romanticizing it. Maybe you should look into doing a similar thing but in a different place, like Wyoming for example!!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #574 on: March 20, 2007, 03:21:56 pm »
A sampling of my day: I cut my phone one Monday morning at 9 AM and have the following messages:

"My drawer guides are completly broke, they need to be replaced, I get my rent in on time, I expect some service!"

"My sister step grandson was killed in a wreck in Atlanta over the weekend so we are headed down there for the funeral, he wasn't but 24 years old, so if you try to call me and I'm not here that's why."

"You remember the woman at Sonic with the yeast infection? Well I rode thru there yesterday and she has located her daughter she gave up for adoption 42 years ago and they are going to be reunited this week!"

"Call me as soon as you can! The doctor says I have Toxoplasmosis from going to that Black History Program in that moldy church basement! You need to wear a face mask when you go in these nasty houses, I have some I will give you that are perscription."

I kid you not, and it was like that all day long.

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love was the word that left my lips
« Reply #575 on: March 20, 2007, 08:35:02 pm »
I was mad at my mom one day and i went for a walk, and we did nothing but text the entire time. :laugh:

haha! I'm a loser
"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Heaven holds a sense of wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0VVoScBd4k

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #576 on: March 20, 2007, 08:46:12 pm »
A sampling of my day: I cut my phone one Monday morning at 9 AM and have the following messages:

"My drawer guides are completly broke, they need to be replaced, I get my rent in on time, I expect some service!"

"My sister step grandson was killed in a wreck in Atlanta over the weekend so we are headed down there for the funeral, he wasn't but 24 years old, so if you try to call me and I'm not here that's why."

"You remember the woman at Sonic with the yeast infection? Well I rode thru there yesterday and she has located her daughter she gave up for adoption 42 years ago and they are going to be reunited this week!"

"Call me as soon as you can! The doctor says I have Toxoplasmosis from going to that Black History Program in that moldy church basement! You need to wear a face mask when you go in these nasty houses, I have some I will give you that are perscription."

I kid you not, and it was like that all day long.

I think you are lucky not to be the manager of the building I live in. It'll drive you really crazy, I'm sure!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #577 on: March 23, 2007, 09:23:41 pm »
Today, it hit 80 degrees Fahrenheit!  :o Global warming at it best, and it was a beautiful day.

I belong to a group involved with raising finds for the expansion of our local history center. It is a wonderful genealogical library, one of few you will find (http://www.bassetthistoricalcenter.com/). Tomorrow night we are having a fundraiser, a bluegrass and gospel music show at the old high school auditorium. The school, built in 1948,  closed and was sold off a few years ago and the owner is graciously letting us use the auditorium. It did however require cleaning. Lots of it.

Talk about deja vu, a cloudless sunny morning and I climbed those stairs to the front door, it could have been 1966 with little imagination. Inside, past the memorial for the 5 students who died in Vietnam, I was handed my rag and can of Pledge, and headed into the great concrete and wood paneled hall where as a boy I saw and got the autograph of the great Lester Flatt and the Osborne Brothers. The rows of seats covered with graffiti, some of it carved with knives in the days before metal detectors by men who are now Pap-Paws. "Hello Dolls" one seat read, I could not count the initials.

I made a full circle of the room, wiping down the paneling and baseboards, the edge of the stage. There were about a dozen or so other volunteers, all awash in their on memories, of school rivalries, of the band class that practiced on the stage. It is amazing how nasty a place can be when it is shut up.

My pocket rang and I seen it was me friend esseffjoe, so I ducked out into an adjacent court yard to speak to him. The place was a-bloom in forsythia and daffodils. It was like something you would see at an old girls school. I sat on the bench in the warm sun and took it all in.

I will be listening tomorrow night, to the vibrations of the strings, and think of Scott in his performance, best wish to you my friend, and you and you and you!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #578 on: March 23, 2007, 09:27:42 pm »
It sounds like a very interesting day. Thank you for writing about it. I didn't get to go outside today at all. I missed it so much. Hope you have a good weekend. If you have a minute, join us in chat tomorrow.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #579 on: March 24, 2007, 10:50:38 am »
I will try and do that, my, the 24th again.

I saw me first butterfly this morning, a Monarch, flying across the road thru traffic, I always cringe and dodge them. More will be following I am sure, this heat wave is supposed to last thru next Friday.