Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2580813 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #660 on: April 13, 2007, 07:48:01 pm »
Thinking of you and your friends Truman... I wish everyone the best.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #661 on: April 17, 2007, 10:29:09 pm »
I would like to say something about the murders in Blacksburg, Virginia. I wish I knew what to say.

I cried today when I read the names and the paragraphs about the victims. The holocaust survivor who died holding the door back so his students could get out a window.

The professor who was known as one of the leading researchers in matters relating to Cerebral Palsy.

The girl who went to high school with the shooter.

The young lady who won a talent contest by doing a belly dance last year.

It sounded more and more to me like 9/11. I have half a notion to drive up there and be witness, but I resist. I could add nothing but body heat and I fear the grief is just too great to be endured just yet. I will go on Saturday. I have to pass by Blacksburg, I will make a point to stop.

I see on the news how Australia gathered all their guns, as did the UK, where it is five years if your found posessing one. I think, "Why can we do that here?"

I am in favor of it. I don't believe it will work. We tried banning alcohol once, it didn't work. Marijuana is illegal and Jack and Ennis smoked a joint. No one cared.

I fear we collect all the gun in this country, it will result in the expansion of an already lethal black market.

I dunno what the answer is. We have done so much to change the hearts of people in America I almost feel safe sometimes, but then I remember sometimes it is not their hearts, but their minds. This shooting may be one of those times.

The shooting has just been one aspect of the whirlwind of my life. The wind blew so hard that day it took down trees. The electricity and phone went out, its been a mess. But Maya Olivia seems to be making some improvement. I got a pic of her this evening hooked up to her tubes and monitors, it was quite frightening. I pray her mamma and daddy get to hold her soon. The rest of her life I cannot imagine, but this I think is obtainable. 

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #662 on: April 17, 2007, 10:54:36 pm »
Hey there, friend...Thank you for taking the time to write.  I know that the past few days must have been traumatic for you to say the least.

I'm very glad to hear that there's some positive word about Maya Olivia - that's a spot of brightness in this otherwise bleak period.

I'm with you about not having any real good answers about how to prevent tragedies like Columbine, Simon's Rock, now Virginia Tech.

I don't think rounding up the guns is a good answer because, like you say, it creates more of a black market.  I do think it would be helpful if our legislature would properly fund the enforcement of existing gun control laws like background checks and waiting periods.  I think that too many times these are not really enforced, leading to people getting guns who should never ever have them.

Here's a random fact - the 'Golden' kid who killed at his high school in Jonesboro(?), Arkansas several years ago is a distant cousin on my maternal grandfather's side.  My grandfather abused his wife and children and was mentally unstable (understatement).

I've been thinking about how disaffected and isolated the murderer must have been.  Anyone who would do something so heinous has to be seriously mentally deranged.  I'm not trying to excuse his actions, but it makes me wonder if there were less of a stigma in this country about mental illness and seeking help for emotional problems, if he could have been reached before he completely snapped?

What would the world be like if you could say to an acquaintance - 'You know, you're not sounding real stable right now - how about seeing a therapist, getting a checkout?'  And the response is 'Not a bad idea - I'll look into it.'  No weirdness, no defensiveness - just a fact of life like 'that mole looks weird, better let a dermatologist check it out...'

???

Anyhow, I hope your pilgrimage to your alma mater is good this weekend...have a moment or more of silence in Blacksburg for the families and for all of us here too, please.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline opinionista

« Reply #663 on: April 18, 2007, 05:13:25 am »
I'm with you about not having any real good answers about how to prevent tragedies like Columbine, Simon's Rock, now Virginia Tech.

I think there are several answers to these tragedies. And one of them is that there is too much weapons available in the United States. I was shocked to learn that Bush when giving his condolences didn't mention the problem. What saddens me about all this is that both the police and the press now is vilifying the murderer, calling him a loner, a violent person who even stalked women and aren't looking beyond. Sure, this guy was definitely a dangerous or a very disturbed individual, but I think the root of the problem lies someplace else.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #664 on: April 18, 2007, 09:54:51 am »
I think the root of the problem lies someplace else.

I think your right. Cho Seung-Hui is just the latest manifestation.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #665 on: April 18, 2007, 03:57:54 pm »

I am so appalled by these kinds of actions, as to be virtually speechless.  I cant for the life of me
get inside a persons head, that chooses these type of actions...Having said that, and the fact that
i think we should have tighter gun control.  No assault type weapons, or automatic rifles or hand guns.  I also dont believe taking away guns is the answer..In my opinion then the only people that
would have guns, would be the least likely to be safe with them....
   You dont often hear of a regular gun user, going on a rampage, that is usually a person with problems of a mental nature...Most as in this case, are people who were know to be a mentally
confused character.. The problem seems to be in the ability to have a person forced to seek help when all symptoms point to a problem that could and probably will turn to violence. 
    I am definately not one that believes in taking people guns arbitrarily.  I am one of the ones, that
believe in the statement; Guns dont kill people, people with guns kill people...All people with guns
dont kill people.  Just as all people that drink, dont get in a car and drive drunk...
     My very own brother killed himself with a gun.  I dont believe to not allow him to have a gun,would have stopped it.  He would have found another way.  Just as deadly. Just my opinion

Beautiful mind

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #666 on: April 18, 2007, 04:09:14 pm »
I think a total ban on assault weapons would be a good place to start. There is no other use for an assault weapon than to kill people.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #667 on: April 18, 2007, 05:28:50 pm »
Hey friends ... Sorry for the sadness, yeah.

I think of Maya Olivia and her family every day and wish them all the best. Thanks for the update Truman.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #668 on: April 18, 2007, 09:54:21 pm »
Thank you Wayne. Her parents always comment they are so moved by the level of responce they have had. They can feel the love pour in. I hope to hear something daily but it is usually every other.

I learned just now where Cho Seung-Hui was for those two hours betwixt shootings was, mailing the package to NBC. I first heard about it on 4:30 news breifing at Tech on the public station. The media in the room, it was palatable. They wanted to know WHY NBC had it!?!? What was it.

It is pandora's box I am afraid.

Tonight on the local news some college in North Carolina had a student with the same MO as Cho Seung-Hui, and they have publicly advised their students to stay away from him.

I think everybody needs to chill. Real quick.

And I am going to learn to spel (here I go) to spel Cho Seung-Hui (did it) and not cut and paste it any more.

And Friday is.......4/20!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #669 on: April 19, 2007, 02:13:13 pm »

Ok Truman, what is with the 4 -20 thing,, am i being nosy i really would like to know....and how is that baby...i think of her all the time...I am sure hoping her dear parents can get thru this terrible time and feel ok...be sure and send them all our love and caring thoughts....there is a great deal of power in a group of well wishers..
hoping to hear better news...

Beautiful mind