Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2531058 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #680 on: April 26, 2007, 07:48:44 am »
Newport, Tn or Newport, Va.? I know Gray is in Tennessee. You ever been tubing at McCoy Falls?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

« Reply #681 on: April 26, 2007, 10:25:36 am »
Have either of you fellas ever been to Lexington? I've been a reading a bit about Lexington lately because artist Cy Twombly was born there, in 1928 (has lived in Rome since 1957).

I've been to Virginia once, in the summer of 1980, visiting in the Alexandria area (saw Mount Vernon) and driving as far south as Charlottesville, visiting the University of Virginia campus (very lovely) and Monticello. I really wanted to go to the Williamsburg and Jamestown area, being such a history buff of the colonial era, but that was a bit out of the way at the time for my uncle (lives in Oxon Hill, Maryland).

I read the Newsweek article on the details of the tragic shooting at Virginia Tech, and it really captured the terror that those poor people must have experienced. So horrifying how a benign or neutral space like a classroom can be transformed into a nightmare zone within a split second. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families.

As an alumnus and employee of a university that was the site of one of the earliest campus massacres, I can say how important it is to try and go back to a normal routine as soon as possible. No one should forget about the tragedy (it is forever now an unfortunate component of the place's history), but the violence should not be allowed to define the place. Life should go on, hearts and minds should be cultivated, and in doing so, the slain will be honored and vindicated.

Peace to all.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #682 on: April 26, 2007, 10:52:26 am »
As an alumnus and employee of a university that was the site of one of the earliest campus massacres, I can say how important it is to try and go back to a normal routine as soon as possible. No one should forget about the tragedy (it is forever now an unfortunate component of the place's history), but the violence should not be allowed to define the place. Life should go on, hearts and minds should be cultivated, and in doing so, the slain will be honored and vindicated.

Peace to all.
I was just reading about this event in Austin last nite in the latest issue of The New Yorker. It was sobering to read how often violence against students has happened in the U.S. I thought it was just a phenomenon tied to the Vietnam War protests.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #683 on: April 26, 2007, 11:01:12 am »
Newport, Tn or Newport, Va.? I know Gray is in Tennessee. You ever been tubing at McCoy Falls?
New port TN. One of my mothers husbands had a gas station there with his brother.
Never been tubing there. In college, a friend had a lakehouse near there so we went sometimes but just stayed there.
We were a bunch of drunk college kids so we styed put and partied there LOL!

Mojo,
i have been there but I was small so I don't remember anything significant. I went to Williamsburg as a child and loved that!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #684 on: April 26, 2007, 04:38:16 pm »
I sure have been to Lexington, Virginia. The Leyburn Library at Washington & Lee University has the papers of Carter N. Bealer, the man who was Jeb in Jeb and Dash, and I have been thru them as well as visiting the tomb of Robert E. Lee and his family, and the grave of his horse, Traveller, buried just outside the chapel.

Lexington was used in the movie "Somersby" staring Richard Gere and Jodie Foster, it was supposed to be Nashville in 1868 or so. They brung in tons of dirt to put on the street.

Additionally Scott, you may be interested to know Lexington is the birthplace of Bigfoot Wallace, a hero of the Texas Republic, and the only place outside of Texas where people know who he was. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

« Reply #685 on: April 26, 2007, 05:08:46 pm »
Thanks for all the interesting info, Tru! My late paternal grandfather was born in Bigfoot, Texas, which is named after Mr. Wallace. Sam Houston was also born in the Lexington area. I guess as a son of Texas, I should make a pilgrimage one of these days to this venerable town.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #686 on: April 26, 2007, 07:19:27 pm »
Hi Tru and Friends,

I just took a couple of days to read the last 10 or 12 pages of your thread.  I'm wishing Maya Olivia the best, your Sonic friend and her birth daughter the best, your third cousin the best, everyone in Blacksburg the best.

How did the Sister Big Bone Pageant turn out?

And are you goin' a respond to Scott's matin' call to join us in Colorado?

Thinking of you and our wonderful lunch together,

Clarissa

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #687 on: April 26, 2007, 10:06:09 pm »
the tomb of Robert E. Lee and his family, and the grave of his horse, Traveller, buried just outside the chapel.
  :o   :D   omg, we have a bunch of pictures on the wall in the breakfast room and one is Cliff at Traveller's final resting place!!    :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #688 on: April 27, 2007, 02:32:24 am »
New port TN. One of my mothers husbands had a gas station there with his brother.

:D 8) 8) :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #689 on: April 27, 2007, 04:02:33 am »
Truman, thanks for posting those photos you took of people's inscriptions at Virginia Tech.  That one in Arabic slapped me upside the head with its irony.  Why don't we all just knock it off?  I mean just all at once, everyone just quit fighting.  And then I could see a (presumably) compassionate note written in Arabic without feeling guilty.