Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2528787 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #710 on: May 02, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
LETS DANCE!

http://www.floydcountrystore.com/

A buddy of mine who lives out of town has been wanting to go to the Friday Night jamboree at the old country store in Floyd, Virginia, for some time. So this week when I ran into him at his grandma-in-laws funeral I said hell yeah lets go Friday night. His wife is in her thrid trimester so she could not go, just the two of us, and it was such a good time.

Now, you might think, does this guy ever do anything but go to funerals? Well, let me explain: it is a small town an I know a lot of people. I am also kin to a lot of people. I think it is good to honor them as they leave this world, and see folks who have come in from out of town and reconnect. Plus they always have a great meal afterward. I met my partner at his Aent's funeral. I know people who refuse to attend even the funeral of a spouce they are so opposed to the proposition of death, but hell, for me it is like going to the car wash.

We traveled about 40 miles, taking an hour because Floyd, Virginia is up on the mountain. It is a small town of local mountain people and trust funded hippies who have sent the realestate prices thru the roof. The store itself no longer functions in its original capacity but is more of a music hall for old time and bluegrass music every friday night and sometimes a special show on Saturday night. Admission is $3.00 and there is a drawing for a ham each night. Lucklity Floyd does not have a fire marshall (I guess) the place is always packed. Mostly locals attend, very authentic people, and last night they had folks from Ontario and a soldier from Baghdad. I have seen Africans there (as well as African Americans, regular attendees).

My buddy was amazed by the crowd, two groups who was picking outside on the side walks and the alley next to the store held our attention for a while. We went inside and "Twist"ed our way to the front, glad to have arrived after the first hour of gospel music. The Smith River Band was finishing up a song and starting a slow one. A local boy in jeans an a straw cowboy hat and chained wallet took the opportunity to get a bottle of water. When next they began the Orange Blossum Special he was leaping over people to get back to the dance floor, where he put his hands on his hips and faced the audience and began to pound the floor. Soon he was joined by a dozen others and when they all began pounding that old oak floor in unison it was like the heart beat of everyone in the place was beating in unison, mesmerized and bobbing, harkening back to the days when people lived out doors under the moon and all the cycles we in sync.

I thought to myself: I want to host a BBM get together here sometime, I want people to see this. And that I will do, maybe next summer, on a night with a full moon. C'mon and get you can of potted possum.
Oh my Gawd!
Thank you so much for sharing that!
Wow! Seeing pictures from home is awesome!!!
I have been there so many times.
Oh goodness, I am so homesick right now I can't stand it.
 :'(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #711 on: May 02, 2007, 04:42:30 pm »
I have seen groups of guys, usually younder ones, up there dancing. I think we'd have to teach the band the sang thought...that is such a good album, do you have it?

As for the possum, it is mostlikely regular potted meat, with a different lable on it. I don't know anyone who has ever actually opend a can. Possum is one of the ledgends, that back in the old days when people were so poor they would eat the unbelievably greasy meat. One bands there has a song about a man needing to feed him family and the refrain is: "I got five pounds of possum in my head lights tonight!"
Hee Hee! I've had possum before! :P
Thank goodness I don't remember eating it.
I had an aunt who lived down in Sugar Grove and they ate whatever they could catch.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #712 on: May 02, 2007, 09:02:52 pm »
Is that up there on Rt. 16 betwixt Mouth o' Wilson and Marion? I think I just drove thru there last week.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #713 on: May 02, 2007, 09:06:21 pm »
Friends, i think this is a long time overdur:

I hereby call publicly for the Impeachment of Geroge W. Bush as President of the United States for his failure to uphold the Constitution, playing fast and loose with his office, and for playing upon the tender spot caused by the events of 11 September 2001 to get us in a war for no other reason than to prove something to his daddy.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #714 on: May 03, 2007, 05:32:16 am »
Friends, i think this is a long time overdur:

I hereby call publicly for the Impeachment of Geroge W. Bush as President of the United States for his failure to uphold the Constitution, playing fast and loose with his office, and for playing upon the tender spot caused by the events of 11 September 2001 to get us in a war for no other reason than to prove something to his daddy.

And I hereby call publicly for the Impeachment of George Bush as President of the United States for committing crimes against humanity.

What he has done in IraK is a crime.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

moremojo

« Reply #715 on: May 03, 2007, 10:15:41 am »
I absolutely concur. If the current Congress were truly representing the will of the people, they would be pursuing this matter unequivocally.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #716 on: May 04, 2007, 03:56:00 am »
Tru, I'll be in Richmond May 10-18.  Would love to see you again, if that can work out.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #717 on: May 04, 2007, 10:40:45 am »
:D

[/url]
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #718 on: May 04, 2007, 11:18:55 am »
Oh that is cool, both the license plate and the propspect of seeing Clarissa again! You'll be there starting next week, lets see, I will be in Hampton,VA the 7th and 8th, what does your weekend look like?

You know, if it wern't for the currency differential betwixt the US and Canada, this Alberta trip would be a very generic one.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #719 on: May 04, 2007, 11:19:14 am »
Is that up there on Rt. 16 betwixt Mouth o' Wilson and Marion? I think I just drove thru there last week.

Route 16? You and I been on the Sweet 16 Route before, tho not together <sob>. That's the route between Buffalo and Ten Sleep, going to Worland.

Where do I sign up for your impeachment initiative! Sounds like a plan, which is what we haven't had up till now!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"