Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2532051 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #730 on: May 14, 2007, 06:55:27 pm »
she seems to be getting away with her treatment of him as a black man because he is gay.
Reminds me of the assassinations of Harvey Milk and George Moscone.

If Dan White had killed only the mayor, who happened to be straight, they would have executed him.

But he killed a gay man too, so they gave him life in prison instead.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #731 on: May 14, 2007, 09:22:07 pm »
Did he even get that? I thought he was out of jail when he killed himself.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline opinionista

« Reply #732 on: May 15, 2007, 07:35:21 am »
I am confused about those sentencing as well. I thought a life sentence meant the prisoner would die in jail, then they get parole or are set free on good behavior. Though some get life without parole. However, the punishment does have an effect on them even if they are set free before completing their sentence. Have you seen the movie The Shawshank Redemption? I guess what happens to Brooks happens to a lot of inmates that are set free after so many years locked up in a jail. They become too institutionalized and unable to survive on their own.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #733 on: May 15, 2007, 09:48:16 am »
There are two versions of life in prison.
Life without the possibility of parole and life with the possibility of parole.
If the convict can convince the parole board that they have been rehabilitated then they can get parolled.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

• BetterMost Supporter!
I need a Lull.
« Reply #734 on: May 21, 2007, 11:07:23 am »
A lull in the cacophony

Last week was just nutz, now way of getting anything completed with the constant interuptions. I have reached that point int he spring when I get home in the evenings to a yard that needs mowing and I don't have the energy to mow it.

I think: I will go in late tomorrow, take part of the morning for myself and write. By the time morning comes some emergency pulls me to the office, with it endless supply of coffee and drama.  Another day goes by.

Saturday comes, it is time for the Fieldale Festival. The second one they have had. I have to get up early to man my groupe's booth for the morning and I pray for the stregnth to withstand THAT question. That question used to be, "Are you seeing anyone?" or "When are you going to get married?". I have heard neither in a while. The question I steel myself for now is "How is the market?"

It is the question you are asked because you are a realtor and the askor feels a need to ask something. I, the adult product of alcoholic dysfunction, feels a need to analyze the various market factors for them and give them a reasoned and realistic answer. My broker always says:"Great! It's just great!" and I would like to tell them: "Sucks, it flat out sucks!" and the real truth would fall somewhere in betwixt.

Saturday I settled for "Time for you to buy a house!" that always send them packing.

Among the days accomplishments:

*I talked with a hundred people that day and never got frustrated.

*I corner my elementary school principal and ask him, point blank, what happened to Ms. X in the 4th grade, who dissapeared after the first six weeks.

*I learned the guy who tried to sell me pot on my very first job (at a Jewish Bar Be Que) was now a sherriff in Michigan.

*I hear from my cousin that chickens do not necessarily get out of your engine when you crank the car, nor does their carcase cook from riding under the hood for three days.

*I meet the 5th generation of one family I have always known.

*I pay $4.00 (in nickles) for a funnel cake, the one a year I eat.

*I hear the names of the long dead called, and remember these sidewalk had been walked on me grandfather who died long before I were thought of. 

*I meet up with an old classmate whose child not only is bald, but has no pigment on the top of their head.

In the evening I went to the street dance, to watch the handful of pre-teen girls twist and do the tango to recorded music from the 1960's, recount with an old friend all of her old boyfriends and our old coworkers. It was a perfect  evening, chilly enough for a jacket. I am encircled by the townsfolk and the kinfolk and I think how lucky I am to be right here in this place, and things were as they were supposed to be.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #735 on: May 21, 2007, 11:19:40 am »
So what did happen to Mrs. X, anyway? Inquiring minds want to know!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #736 on: May 21, 2007, 05:08:02 pm »
Well it was just past the first six weeks of the 1972-73 school year, I was in the 4th grade and we came to school one morning and the principals secretary was there instead of the teacher, who was in a conference with the principal and when she returned she was mad as hell. She told us that Ms. X, next door, was gone and her class was being divided up and we were getting some of her students, I think it made 40 in our class. We then had 5 Jimmys, 4 Timmys and 2 Mikes. She said she could not tell us what happened and not to ask her.

Well we all wondered, as did our parents but I never heard what happened and never forgot. I recently ran into a woman who has the same last name, a very unusual one for this area, and asked her if she was Ms. X and she said earnestly she was not.

Well, later on at the same location I encountered one of the forth grade teachers who had to take up the slack and he refused to discuss it, never seen someone try to change the subject so fast.

The principal told me Saturday he could not really remember much about it, but that "it was nothing bad". He did however mention the ladies first name. It was the woman I met in recent years. So now I am thinking I should go an apologize to her for sticking my nose in her business and that I am glad to know she is alright. 

Offline Wayne

« Reply #737 on: May 21, 2007, 05:19:10 pm »
apologize to her for sticking my nose in her business and that I am glad to know she is alright.
:D   And, of course, to ask her what happened!!    ;D
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #738 on: May 21, 2007, 06:25:38 pm »
I know, I will always wonder.

Well, I got the email today I had been expecting. My dear friends in Hawai'i have lost their daughter, Maya Olivia Dillon. She was removed from the respirator yesterday and her family took her outside to sit under a tree for the second time in her life. She slipped away quietly. I realize now that this is the first time in a long time I have had tears run down my face that have nothing to do with Jack and Ennis. (But they sure make the plumbing work good.)

I am so sad I never got to meet her. I hope she will come and visit me in my dreams.

R.I.P.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #739 on: May 21, 2007, 07:01:39 pm »
Oh ... I'm so sorry Truman ... so sorry.

How wonderful that they just took her outside to enjoy a few minutes together.

That's really the best thing we have isn't it.

Hugs to you Truman and your friends and their beautiful baby.

Don