Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2582080 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #770 on: May 24, 2007, 09:41:27 am »
I was shocked when I saw that facade, it was like they were thumbing their noses at the world with it.

This morning I read the following at the Advocate website:

Liberty student arrested for planning to attend Falwell funeral with bombs

A Liberty University student who told a family member he had made bombs and planned to attend the funeral of the conservative evangelical leader Jerry Falwell in Lynchburg, Va., was apparently upset about an antigay fringe group that protested at the funeral, authorities said.

Officials were still trying to figure out what Mark David Uhl planned to do with the bombs. Police do not believe he intended to disrupt the funeral Tuesday or harm the Falwell family, Campbell County sheriff Terry Gaddy said.

Uhl, 19, was being held without bond in the Campbell County Adult Detention Center on charges of manufacturing an explosive device. It was not known if he had a lawyer, and messages seeking comment left at numbers believed to belong to his family were not returned.

Uhl, of Amissville, Va., was arrested Monday night after a family member contacted authorities, who found homemade bombs in the trunk of Uhl's car, Major Steve Hutcherson said.

Gaddy described the five bombs as ''sort of like napalm'' and about the size of soda cans.

''We do not believe the Falwells were ever in any danger,'' he said.

The funeral proceeded at Thomas Road Baptist Church without incident. More than 10,000 people attended the service on the campus of the evangelical university, which Falwell founded.

Investigators determined that Uhl had problems with a group that protested at the funeral, Gaddy said. Fred Phelps and his Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church sent about a dozen members to protest across the street from the funeral, claiming Falwell was a friend to gays. The group has also picketed soldiers' burials, claiming the deaths are God's punishment for a nation that supports homosexuality.

Falwell frequently spoke against homosexuality, and gay rights advocates have consistently opposed him. A group of Liberty University students staged a counterprotest; it was not clear whether Uhl was involved.

Jesse Benson, 19, of Zanesville, Ohio, said he lived with Uhl this year and that both shared the view that the Westboro group is a ''sorry, disgraceful bunch of people'' but that he was certain Uhl would never have done anything to harm them.

''He had a very, very deep respect for Jerry Falwell, as do I,'' Benson said in a telephone interview. ''Jerry Falwell would not have approved him harming anybody for any reason. Out of respect for Jerry Falwell, he never would have done anything.''

It was not clear whether Uhl knew the group planned to go to the campus, but the group had listed the funeral as an upcoming event published on its Web site.

Benson said Uhl was in Liberty's Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps program and was studying to become an Army chaplain. Gaddy said investigators in Fauquier County were interviewing several people who had been in an ROTC program with Uhl in high school and may have been involved in making the bombs. One is now in the Army, he said.

The sheriff said Campbell County authorities informed the Falwell family and Liberty security personnel of the arrest Monday night and gave security personnel photos of other possible suspects in case any of them showed up at the funeral.

Falwell, 73, who helped turn the religious right into a powerful force in American politics, died a week ago after collapsing in his office at the university. His physician said Falwell had a heart condition and presumably died of a heart rhythm abnormality.

More than 33,000 people had viewed his body over four days as it lay in repose.

A private burial was planned on the grounds of Liberty University near a former mansion where Falwell's office was located. (Sue Lindsey, AP)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #771 on: May 24, 2007, 03:18:47 pm »
That is not a "fake" facade; it is a designed entrance/portal to the facility. this is often done to save expense and/or save a historical entrance. This is often done here in san francisco, too.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #772 on: May 24, 2007, 03:31:41 pm »
Hmm, this facade is neither historic nor thrifty.  I'd call it fake.  Grandiose.  With nothing to "back it up".

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #773 on: May 24, 2007, 04:20:56 pm »
Well, its too new to be historcal, it was built that way I think to creat an impression, put on a face if you will.

Perhaps my calling it a fake facade is redundant, but it is the largest physical metaphor I've ever seen.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #774 on: May 24, 2007, 04:25:11 pm »
Well, its too new to be historcal, it was built that way I think to creat an impression, put on a face if you will.

Perhaps my calling it a fake facade is redundant, but it is the largest physical metaphor I've ever seen.

Ya know, I think it's very fitting. Growing up as a Southern Baptist I have learned that perception is everything. The people I would see Sunday with their Bibles tucked under their arms shouting Amen are the same people I would see drinking and Carousing the previous Saturday and Sunday nights. There are some genuinely good Chruch folks I know but many are just a facade.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline opinionista

« Reply #775 on: May 24, 2007, 04:36:20 pm »
There are some genuinely good Chruch folks I know but many are just a facade.

Sad but true.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Toast

Re: Falwell's Funeral
« Reply #776 on: May 24, 2007, 06:59:16 pm »
Thank You Shakestheground
Great coverage of the event Truman
But as you are aware, these events have ramifications in our daily lives - especially if we let ourselves get indoctrinated.

..... I decided it was time for me to dedicate myself firmly to my beliefs: namely that I am not a Christian. I do not believe I or anyone else was born less than perfect. I do not know what comes after death, nor do I know what comes before births so I am not worried about it. I do not believe in damnation. I do believe in treating people with respect, no matter how little they deserve it sometimes. I forgive those who offend me, as a way of not carrying around the injury of their offence.

It would be nice if there is a heaven, a wonderful place were all we have known and loved are waiting for us, and we will spent forever being perfectly happy, but I am not holding out for it. 

Touché Man.
You are a gentleman.

Offline Toast

« Reply #777 on: May 24, 2007, 07:10:29 pm »
The fact that someone thinks that they can keep the peace - at a funeral or anywhere - with a bomb seems to ring a bell somehow. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #778 on: May 25, 2007, 02:53:48 am »
Here's WBC's spin on it...

http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/may2007/20070523_christian-army-bomb.pdf

What a bunch of FREAKS!!  >:(  >:(

There's no distance great enough between my front door and their's.  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #779 on: May 25, 2007, 03:53:01 am »
Here's WBC's spin on it...

http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/may2007/20070523_christian-army-bomb.pdf

What a bunch of FREAKS!!  >:(  >:(

There's no distance great enough between my front door and their's.  :P

That press release says they were "picketing peacefully."  How can they consider those written messages peaceful?  :(