Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2526731 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #920 on: July 06, 2007, 04:36:19 pm »

Tru you are a tease??    LOL

Hehehehe, ocassionally.

Speaking of squirrles, I have a friend whose grandma was from the mountains, and she said when she first got preganant she had a craving for squirrel. To eat that is.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #921 on: July 06, 2007, 04:52:50 pm »
I second what Texas Scott said. You are certainly not austere!! Austere is to you as Proulx is to Faulkner!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #922 on: July 06, 2007, 06:22:49 pm »

Well mine are all pets, never would consider eating them, any more than the cat

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #923 on: July 07, 2007, 12:43:29 am »
Austere is to you as Proulx is to Faulkner!!

I've been working this one over in my mind, and don't think I've quite got it yet.  But it's being an interesting exercise.  I've read more Faulkner than Proulx, but don't have any Faulkner passages memorized.  :)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #924 on: July 09, 2007, 04:57:07 pm »
"My mother is a fish." >:(

--William Faulkner, As I Lay Dying

"Catch some fish Daddy, Big, Big ones" ???
--Alma Jr. (Ossana & McMurtry)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #925 on: July 09, 2007, 07:32:16 pm »

(Lynne's favorite ice cream)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #926 on: July 11, 2007, 08:26:12 am »
"The Lodge" is as old as the town. It had been built as a place for the big wigs of Marshall Field & Company to stay when they came to visit the mill where their towels were made. It was not a place that was accessable to those people making the towels. It was seen only o the sly, when someone got the nerve to drive up the mountain to it, on a single one lane road, worrying they would meet an on coming big wig. Not that there was ever an official policy, but when you are not invited, you certainly don't feel welcome.

The towels are made in central America now, the mill is a warehouse for other things. The Lodge, and its accompanying 600 acres is now a retreat center, and the setting for the wedding I would perform. I had originally turned down the bride and grooms offer to spend the night there, then thought better of it.  It was approaching midnight when I walked up the hill from the pool, sufficiently buzzed, the grand pile of rock in the starlight. "I am going to sleep in the Lodge" I told myself, giddily, with an imagined town of spirits standing behind me.

In the wee hours of 7-7-07, my uncle, aged 77, slipped away after a short and miserable battle with Leukemia. I got the news when I woke up.

Thirty years to the day it had been 7-7-77. I had gone to Dixie Caverns in Salem, Virginia with my family. I called one of my nephews to remind him of it. "That was 7-7-77?! How can you remember that?"

"Quite easy" I replied. I knew Katie's birthday was approaching, but did not know it was that day, as I met her countrymen, fine people from New South Wales, who could not explain why it was not just New Wales. People who'd never seen a lightening bug. The day rolled on, beautiful in its heat, June bugs swarming over the terraced grounds. "No thanks" I said to a beer. "Not drinking till they're married".

The evening was perfect, hot, but golden in the first stages of sunset when the ipod played the didgerdedoo R&B selection. I stood at the end of the shuffleboard court, with the groom and his brother, the best man, and the bride and her father stepped off the veranda. It was one of the most surreal sights I have ever witnesses. They came down the board, I told them to stand on the 7's and take a deep breath.

The babysitter said she clocked the ceremony at 2 and a half minutes. Not a second more.

"C'mon they're call for all the single men to catch the garter" I replied I wasn't single. "Oh that's right".

A couple of rum and cokes would be fine, and when the rum was gone there was the tequila, and in the morning, there was the unbridled visitation by the demon of regret. The need to purge and to get the hell away from The Lodge.

I could not even attend my uncles visitation. The next day I had still not ate and I couldn't sit with the family, I might have to make a dash for it, quick. As the preacher spoke thru tears at how my uncle had helped to removate the church, how his mark could be found in every inch of the place I slipped out to find the the god of porcelain they keep in a little room in the basement, and upon finding it not fastend very well to the floor I looked upward.

"Very funny, Uncle" I said.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #927 on: July 11, 2007, 08:58:44 am »
Shakes - you always write so beautifully!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #928 on: July 11, 2007, 10:08:15 am »
Hehehehe, ocassionally.

Speaking of squirrles, I have a friend whose grandma was from the mountains, and she said when she first got preganant she had a craving for squirrel. To eat that is.
I love Squirrell and dumplins!
Well, I did when I was a boy.
Don't know about now.LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #929 on: July 11, 2007, 10:32:36 am »
Do you guys eat squirrels seriously? I thought it was a joke!!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.